Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Curse you Science Museum

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
But unlike the Natural History Museum it just doesn't look 'tired'.

I'm going to pull you up here Stat.

I LOVE the NHM, and a big part of what I love about it is that when I walk in it looks basically exactly the same as it did when I visited as a kid and if I visit in 20 years, it'll probably still look basically the same. It's not tired to me, it's comforting and nostalgic. :thumbsup:

Your overall point very much stands though, the fact that stuff like the Science Museum, V&A, British Museum and NHM are all free is fantastic - long may it remain so.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
While we're on the subject of free museums, if you're into military aviation then head out to the RAF Museum which is about 5-10 minutes walk from Colindale station on the Northern Line of the Underground - well worth a look. :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
pack lunch ….. sounds a bit sad. I think I got away with it!
It would have been rather 2 faced of me to pull you up on it.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
While we're on the subject of free museums, if you're into military aviation then head out to the RAF Museum which is about 5-10 minutes walk from Colindale station on the Northern Line of the Underground - well worth a look. :thumbsup:

which is in 2 separate hangers as far as I recall. Also the 3 South Kensington ones, the London Museum in the City, British Museum, Maritime museums in Greenwich and Greenwich Observatory, Kendal House at Highgate, music museum in Marylebone, galleries. All free then the many other museums where you pay.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

which is in 2 separate hangers as far as I recall. Also the 3 South Kensington ones, the London Museum in the City, British Museum, Maritime museums in Greenwich and Greenwich Observatory, Kendal House at Highgate, music museum in Marylebone, galleries. All free then the many other museums where you pay.
It's about time Stat Club Juniors became acquainted with The Imperial War Museum.
I'm thinking that'll be next, one day we'll get round to doing the SM top to bottom.
But I can't help thinking we're just going to end up with 2 incomplete museum visits.

Just a small correction, it is the Museum of London at the Barbican, not the London Museum but it is free and v.interesting - lots there if you have children doing about the Great Fire of London at School. Maritime Museum and Observatory at Greenwich aren't free.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Still available via the 100 operator or 0800-REVERSE but the charges are exorbitant.

The operator and directory enquiries all used to be part of the service and cheap sometimes i hate the way this country has gone. I love a bit of phone nostalgia though.
Trimphones for one they were cool.
The first fax machines.
RAC and AA telephone boxes join up and get your own key for when you break down.
(I hate the fact that RAC and AA 'patrolmen' no longer salute me when I drive past one)

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I've got fond memories of the science museum from my youth (admittedly not that long ago) and now can't wait for Junior Gullflyinghigh to reach an age where I can take him to have a good look around.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
If you can get into the smoke relatively cheap and take a pack lunch you can have a great day out for very little but you need a bit of stamina.

Indeed - took my two sons earlier this year and if we'd only done the Science Museum it would have cost a grand total of £22 in train tickets and that would be it. Cracking value.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
It's about time Stat Club Juniors became acquainted with The Imperial War Museum.
I'm thinking that'll be next, one day we'll get round to doing the SM top to bottom.
But I can't help thinking we're just going to end up with 2 incomplete museum visits.
forgot that one

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
It is a nightmare in summer when there are millions of bespectacled Asians queueing up to get in.

Good cameras though. Strangely you don't seem to get so many of the blighters in the art galleries. Venice was the worst place for them last year, I just gave up anywhere around Groucho Square and headed to a bar. The problem is in at all the major attractions the Japanese seem to spend an eternity to take their snaps. Christ I thought these 1000 quid Canons and Nikons did it all for you. You then have the problem of not wanting to be rude and walk across them...........

Venice in the summer ? Just don't do it.

The Wallace collection in Manchester Square Marylebone, is a stones throw from Oxford Street and is superb with paintings, pottery and some amazing military stuff. Free of course and contains The Laughing Cavalier and a fine Turner collection. Went there before the Fulham game. Several good Canalettos as well although not a big ice cream eater myself.

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Good cameras though.

Great for local small businesses though, there is a booming market for unlocking phones and second hand cameras.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Wonder what the latest generation of Dr. Who fans make of the concept of the Tardis being a 'Police Box'.
Although Stat Club Juniors aren't a great sample by virtue of their inability to pause for thought, on ANYTHING.
They have no concept of a 'Police Box', (or for that matter the dial on a telephone!!) that is just what the TARDIS is.
If the TARDIS were a traction engine then that would be a TARDIS, not something from 'olden dayz' that is now something else.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here