Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Absolutely gagging for a striker.....

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
West Brom were unquestionably a yo-yo club that stabilised
Think possibly Stoke a while back?
You could add Newcastle to the list also

West Brom was 10 years ago and I wouldn't call Newcastle yo-yo, they were a well established Prem club before their relegation (outside only 2 years in 25+)

I think the term is used far too much and imo if we come back down we'll be squarely in the mix with at least 10 others to go back up with no better chances than the rest of them

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
The term yo yo club simply means a club that goes up and down, doesn't mean they are well run. Newcastle and WBA have shown yo-yo tendencies within the last decade or so.

I agree, yet people on here refer to it as a valid and calculated method of progressing the club.

If we were to go down, we would not be too financially different from a few clubs down there all vying for the same prize, except we'd have a complete rebuild job on our hands.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I agree, yet people on here refer to it as a valid and calculated method of progressing the club.

If we were to go down, we would not be too financially different from a few clubs down there all vying for the same prize, except we'd have a complete rebuild job on our hands.

Exactly. So why run the risk of relegation when we now have the financial wherewithal to be competitive. It doesn't make any sense.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Exactly. So why run the risk of relegation when we now have the financial wherewithal to be competitive. It doesn't make any sense.

Unless we are suddenly going to spend 200M or more then there will always be a risk of relegation. About 12 clubs run the risk of relegation every single season.

As it stands right now we are just trying to improve our chances of survival from a good basis, and we still have time to do that despite, admittedly, quite a bit of concern kicking in for me.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

This.

Newcastle and Burnley bouncing straight back up is the exception, not the norm.

Newcastle only did it by keeping many of their PL quality players and spending hugely last Summer.

As time goes by, more clubs are being bought by incredibly wealthy owners, for example Bristol City and Wolves, all seeking the same prize.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
West Brom was 10 years ago and I wouldn't call Newcastle yo-yo, they were a well established Prem club before their relegation (outside only 2 years in 25+)

I think the term is used far too much and imo if we come back down we'll be squarely in the mix with at least 10 others to go back up with no better chances than the rest of them

Good post.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
That's a big gamble..... very big....

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Is it a gamble or just the reality? At this point, I get the feeling we can't compete financially for anyone who might be a big enough improvement on our current squad to make their signing worthwhile.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Newcastle have entered the "race" to sign Lucas Perez of Arsenal. I do hope we are considering this bloke - especially if a new reality is starting to dawn at the club.

The fees quoted look good. But what about the wages? Miles out of our reach I would think.

We r going down without so much as a whimper with this squad
As much as i want to be positive i think the first hurdle is to ensure we dont set a new record for least points/goals scored in the PL - think points record is currently 12 by Derby...so thats the 2 games against Palace and Huddersfield...anything else is a bonus :)

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
We r going down without so much as a whimper with this squad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing like a bit of posativity to start the season with is there...

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
It would be far easier to find quality for that division I'm sure :)

I think the problem with be that players abnd their agents would know we had a £40m parachuite payment and they would want a slice of it to sign for us = would cost us mre for a like for like repalcement of Dunk, Knocky etc...

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
As much as i want to be positive i think the first hurdle is to ensure we dont set a new record for least points/goals scored in the PL - think points record is currently 12 by Derby...so thats the 2 games against Palace and Huddersfield...anything else is a bonus :)

As much as many fans worry, I really can't believe that TB will allow us to do a Boro or Derby. His fist pumping and emotion after the Wigan game said it all. A few short years of parachute money will only delay the inevitable that the Albion's Championship business model of £25m income and up to £60m of costs per year, is quite simply unsustainable. In addition, TB will never get his £290m back.

Easier said than done, but shirley TB has some transfer surprises for us.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Murray will be at the very end of his career, Hemed less mobile than last year and Baldock still injury prone.

If Murray at the very end of his career at 33, then where does that leave Defoe who is 13 months older than poor old Glenn.
And why is the picked upon and Reading target Tomer Hemed "less mobile than last year" . Is that because he's er, turned 30 over the summer ?
Agreed that Sammy Baldock is still injury prone. Poor lad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here