Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why do people think Bloom will spend big in the summer?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Club seems to me to be deeply dysfunctional at the moment. We're getting in the same kind of 'rags' we used to at Withdean while accepting cherry-picking raids on our best players (watch Premier League Bournemouth come in for Dunk and possibly Walton in the Summer). Why even bother with an academy when we've never had much intention of retaining talent? .

Ok gotcha so ..here goes. Is it good then that in terms of
We need to recruit better - the club sacked Burke at Xmas and the first signs of that overhaul are Beram Kayal for which most reports are very positive.
and your point...
We need to stop cherry picking raids on our best young players - The club have, in the last six months, given new extended better contracts to all their most promising young players ; JFC, Dunk, Rea, Walton, Lua Lua, & Ince.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Depends what you're spending it on, and what your direct competitors are spending.
Agreed. So for example Beram Kayal for the relatively small £325K fee was a good signing and perhaps better value than the £1.5m we were planning to spend on Adam Clayton at beginning of season.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
We need to stop cherry picking raids on our best young players - The club have, in the last six months, given new extended better contracts to all their most promising young players ; JFC, Dunk, Rea, Walton, Lua Lua, & Ince.

Ok gotcha so..come back in a couple of months and we'll see which of these players are still ours. My bet would be Dunk and Ince will be cherry-picked, Lua Lua will always remain an Albion 20 minute impact sub and Rea and Walton will be tucked away and cherry-picked a year or two years down the line, probably by a former Albion coach who spotted their potential earlydoors and stuck them quietly in their notebook as One For The Future.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Depends what you're spending it on, and what your direct competitors are spending.

True, but most of the successful teams in the Championship in recent times have not necessarily been spending fortunes. What they have done is kept the core management and players the same.

Our success in the Championship came from that and we added to it over time. We have gone backwards because for the last 2 seasons we have changed the management and keep making wholesale changes to the squad. My view is that if we want to challenge again, we have to keep CH for at least 3 years and not make 10 changes to the squad every season. Let him assemble a squad this summer and build from there. We have some decent players - a few quality additions this summer and then keeping a settled side for next season and we can get moving in the right direction again.

The other lesson that the club has to learn is that we can only sell our better players when we already have their replacement in the squad. We have not missed Bridcutt, but we certainly have missed Barnes and Ulloa (and Buckley if he was fit).

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Because Bloom wants top 6 next season. We have spent **** all this season.
Ulloa and Buckley money not spent, remember we did not have to sell them so we are told, that's £10 m for a start. Remember premier league ready and one ambition. Over to you Bloom,Barber and Houghton.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
is that assumption or fact? ( i dont know)

and either way does a big wage make for a good player automatically? not exactly a band of household ex-premiership players lured down to Bournmouth, iirc alot of them have been there since L1. their top scorers came from Charlton and Coventry. so i dont buy this big wages argument. its a manager putting together a team that works better than the sum of its parts, a once a decade success story imo.

And if they are paying big wages, maybe they're able to do this as they only pay small transfer fees?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Because Bloom wants top 6 next season. We have spent **** all this season.
Ulloa and Buckley money not spent, remember we did not have to sell them so we are told, that's £10 m for a start. Remember premier league ready and one ambition. Over to you Bloom,Barber and Houghton.

Not quite true as Barber was given 600k

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
True, but most of the successful teams in the Championship in recent times have not necessarily been spending fortunes. What they have done is kept the core management and players the same.

Our success in the Championship came from that and we added to it over time. We have gone backwards because for the last 2 seasons we have changed the management and keep making wholesale changes to the squad. My view is that if we want to challenge again, we have to keep CH for at least 3 years and not make 10 changes to the squad every season. Let him assemble a squad this summer and build from there. We have some decent players - a few quality additions this summer and then keeping a settled side for next season and we can get moving in the right direction again.

The other lesson that the club has to learn is that we can only sell our better players when we already have their replacement in the squad. We have not missed Bridcutt, but we certainly have missed Barnes and Ulloa (and Buckley if he was fit).

Christ someone talking sense at last

Not quite true as Barber was given 600k

Last season.
Any income from the sales Buckley and Ulloa will appear in the 2014/15 accounts when they're published in Dec/Jan together with the amortisation balancing, sell-on payments (if any) etc, etc. Should see some reduced match day income, the first depreciation charge for Lancing and a reduced loss I'd have thought.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Bloom has to either provide Hughton with an extra £10M in the budget to splash out on new recruits or sell Dunk , Ince and JFC.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
It's Tony Bloom's money and so its up to him. Nobody on NSC will likely know

Very good point, and one that often seems to be ignored on here.

For what it's worth, he can, if he wants, put 13m in and remain within FFP limits. Pointless if it's not spent wisely though.

Feb 14, 2010
Very good point, and one that often seems to be ignored on here.

For what it's worth, he can, if he wants, put 13m in and remain within FFP limits. Pointless if it's not spent wisely though.

Yep and money doesnt buy success. I understand we spent more than Bournemouth this season. For me, they made a mistake with letting Murray go and but for that we would be in the top flight. Now we see a couple of Brighton youth team players at Bournemouth. Footballing / managerial / scouting / buying errors have cost, not the Chairman or fans who have both done their bit.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
So for example Beram Kayal for the relatively small £325K fee

Allegedly quite a bit less than that according to a person in the know

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Yep and money doesnt buy success. I understand we spent more than Bournemouth this season. For me, they made a mistake with letting Murray go and but for that we would be in the top flight. Now we see a couple of Brighton youth team players at Bournemouth. Footballing / managerial / scouting / buying errors have cost, not the Chairman or fans who have both done their bit.

Knowing our luck we would have signed Murray on a three year deal only for him to be out injured for two seasons before paying up his contract.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Bournemouth squad cost. You can correct me if wrong.

Boruc 0
Daniels 175k
Elphick 200k
Cook 100 k
Francis 25 k
Pugh Tribunal (100k?)
Arter Tribunal (40k?)
Surman 800k
Ritchie 500k
Pitman 60k
Wilson 3m (paid for by Grabban money):
Camp 0
Smith 500? Probably less?
Harte 0
Gosling 0
Fraser 500K
Kermorgant 400k

Ipswich squad apparently put together for 10K so if this is correct. It can be done.

Well, this is it. I'm not so sure that Bournemouth have been pushing FFP. They have been in receipt of monies from other players too. Didn't they receive a large chunk from Southampton's Lallana deal ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here