Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Disgusted with the lack of communication and service - Seagulls Player.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
As posted by [MENTION=529]sparkie[/MENTION] , the club can rip up the contract on promotion which also applies to the official website too.

Interesting that they don't all choose to. Stoke, Burnley, Qpr, Saints, Leicester, Swansea, Palace, Hull, Villa, Chelsea, Newcastle, Sunderland, Spurs, WBA all use Perform for their websites.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I'm amazed the FL haven't just paid off the contracts and moved on.

I wonder how long the current deal has to run?

I asked this earlier in the year and was told the contract was up this summer.

After watching the completely hopeless grainy highlights of the Bolton game I asked again (see my question in Ask the Club) and was astounded by the reply which suggests the FL have renewed with Perform without insisting on any improvement in the quality of the service.

He then goes on to talk about getting other, additional services when even the current one is gash

To say I was speechless was an understatement. They can serve up this totally crap stuff because none of us has any bloody choice ... take it or leave it

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I asked this earlier in the year and was told the contract was up this summer.

After watching the completely hopeless grainy highlights of the Bolton game I asked again (see my question in Ask the Club) and was astounded by the reply which suggests the FL have renewed with Perform without insisting on any improvement in the quality of the service.

He then goes on to talk about getting other, additional services when even the current one is gash

To say I was speechless was an understatement. They can serve up this totally crap stuff because none of us has any bloody choice ... take it or leave it

Thsnks for drawing my attention to that. I'm disappointed, even if the quality became twice as good it still wouldn't be satisfactory IMO and the point in insiders post that I find most frustrating is the 80 clubs signed up bit which would indicate a number of clubs have opted NOT to be covered by the player package!

Our club is based in one of the nations new media hotbeds and on the doorstep of a major university. I'm sure the club could use their current media team in conjunction with both established companies and aspiring media students to produce something of real quality. By including students you could have a mutually beneficial relationship with value for money and fresh inovotive ideas.

In danger of sounding like a broken record you only have to look at the club made youtube videos, cinematic highlights ect to see there's real talent in our media department but at the moment using player isnt fit for purpose.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Having digested that reply a bit more I am simply staggered by it

(1) They extended the deal with a company who can't run a fit for purpose solution. I bet Perform can't believe their luck.
(2) There are no timescales for improvement. This is the bit I really can't get my head round. I've sat in customer meetings defending some shoddy products. I've never ever managed to get away with 'Yeah we know it’s totally shit but we've no idea when we are going to fix it. Be Patient and can I have a contract extension while you are at it?' If this was something under my control there would be daily calls / meetings on this until it got better. A meeting every now and then and everyone 'Trying their best' (always the language of losers that phrase) means only one thing. Nothing will change.
(3) That 'Be Patient' bit. Most of us lost patience YEARS ago.

Perhaps another question to [MENTION=561]Insider[/MENTION] needs to be crafted on Ask the club albeit in less emotive English than most of us are understandably using here. It's not good enough.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Interesting that they don't all choose to. Stoke, Burnley, Qpr, Saints, Leicester, Swansea, Palace, Hull, Villa, Chelsea, Newcastle, Sunderland, Spurs, WBA all use Perform for their websites.

With Brighton being a Digital City a bespoke official website might be the way to go instead of a generic template designed by a 4 year old.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Our club is based in one of the nations new media hotbeds and on the doorstep of a major university. I'm sure the club could use their current media team in conjunction with both established companies and aspiring media students to produce something of real quality. By including students you could have a mutually beneficial relationship with value for money and fresh inovotive ideas.

In danger of sounding like a broken record you only have to look at the club made youtube videos, cinematic highlights ect to see there's real talent in our media department but at the moment using player isnt fit for purpose.

TBH ... every other on line vid I ever watch is of perfect quality so it doesn't need technical wizards. IMO it's one of three things

1) Perform are just taking the piss
2) The dodery old farts at FL HQ know no better and still think mobile phones are a leading technological breakthrough
3) The FL have told Perform to f**k the quality and just produce at the lowest possible cost to give them the best revenue share opportunity

Having digested that reply a bit more I am simply staggered by it

(1) They extended the deal with a company who can't run a fit for purpose solution. I bet Perform can't believe their luck.
(2) There are no timescales for improvement. This is the bit I really can't get my head round. I've sat in customer meetings defending some shoddy products. I've never ever managed to get away with 'Yeah we know it’s totally shit but we've no idea when we are going to fix it. Be Patient and can I have a contract extension while you are at it?' If this was something under my control there would be daily calls / meetings on this until it got better. A meeting every now and then and everyone 'Trying their best' (always the language of losers that phrase) means only one thing. Nothing will change.
(3) That 'Be Patient' bit. Most of us lost patience YEARS ago.

It is astounding isn't it. I'm not only contracting with a sub standard provider I've gone and renewed that contract. I simply cannot believe that the FL haven't gone out to tender to the gazillions of others that would bite their hands off and produce a far superior product

I suspect the club are doing very little about anything, and just spoon feeding the same old "tell them anything and they'll believe it" crap so often trotted out

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
*Mega rant alert*

I couldn't believe my eyes reading that they've renewed the contract. WHY? Why the hell should the football league have any say at all in who designs the websites of our clubs? How much must they be making out of us? They're getting MILLIONS every year to do absolutely **** all. "Oh look we've got a few shitty templates you can use for your website, they don't work and I know your kid could design something nicer looking and more functional. But **** you alright? You HAVE to pick one of them".

"....Oh, also, we're not going to bother giving your fans ANY new features. £5 please. We're still going to have a video site with terrible encoding that uses flash and is basically a broken mess. Oh and every time you start the videos playing we'll set it to "Low" quality for your convenience... just so you get to see the first 5 seconds of the video twice whilst it reloads when you click "High"(MEGA LOLZ). It'll start from the beginning again because that was easier for us to code..

We've compensated you for not knowing which ****ing pixel the ball is by creating this shitheap iPhone app that never works, is never updated, looks like it was designed 5 years ago and never been touched since! And guess what? The video quality is even worse! Hurrah! £5 please. Oh also, if you're on 3G you can't watch long videos because **** YOU that's why"

For a web-based subscription service, I cannot think of a single site which would survive with such a terrible service and little innovation. The functionality of the video site hasn't improved a jot in 5 years. Actually, maybe the streams are more reliable. That's it. Nothing else has been updated. We pay £5 a month for a company to rest on it's laurels and rake in the cash. Marvelous.

If all of the clubs got together on this and protested as one, I wonder if things would change?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I agree with all of the rants here. I also cannot believe that perform (ha, I wish) have been given an extended contract. The club seemed to be saying a few months back, that they were tied in until 2017 but then they'd do their own thing. They have now backtracked it seems. This is, in my view, disgraceful as perform are completely unfit for purpose. I will not ever renew with them in the current circumstances.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
It works! I owe you a beer!

just for future reference if you're trying to find iphone apps for the ipad, there is a little drop down menu on the top of the screen when youre in a search in the app store, it should say 'ipad only', press it and you can change it to 'iphone only', showing all the iphone apps.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
This season so far it has seemed to just freeze mid video sometimes it returns other times I've had to refresh and watch another 30seconds before its frozen again. Othertimes it has worked just fine. I blame that BURKE.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Honestly I think part of these problems could be to do with the club.

I sponsor a Brighton players kit, and I sponsor a Newport County players kit. In the past we've had our link on the players profiles at both clubs, as indeed have the other player kit sponsors. I noticed this year in the player profile for 'our' Brighton player that our link does not appear, however it does on 'our' Newport County players profile. I have asked the club (Brighton) about this and they have responded saying that "since the FLI website update this is not something we've been able to do". So, Newport County can work out how to use it, but the Albion can't, I have pointed this out to them.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Personally I've never had any issues from accessing match commentary. It's the highlights (or lowlights rather) that is frankly awful. Pixilated beyond believe and almost completely unwatchable.

You can always watch them on the other club's website as you suggested to me.

Personally, listening to whingeing Yarkshire commentators or ecstatic Brummies doesn't appeal. I pay for Albion content on Seagulls Player and it pisses me off that we have been provided with an inferior product.

BTW, thanks for the info about accessing other club's versions of player- your advice just happened to be a bit late as I've been doing that for years. Unfortunately, knowing how much better content other clubs get just adds to my annoyance.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Stop complaining just cancel. Really.

I don't miss it and it would have to be something quite special for me to even consider signing up.

I hung in there for years, but would I now be interested buying something so dated and unreliable ? God no. I refuse to be used a reason it must be OK because it has x subscribers.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I realise that I am a complete technophobe but I have/had an analogue phone and tablet. The charming chaps behind the Player setup don't tell you until after you have paid up that it isn't available on analogue devices. Brilliant and no refund of course.
OK thinks me. I need a new tablet. I will get an iPad. Check with Player and yes that will give me access.
Trouble is it doesn't. I still can't view videos and presumably therefore won't get commentary.
It has to be me not doing something so any help much appreciated. Unfortunately I won't see my seven year old grandson for a week or so -he normally puts me right on these things. :lolol:

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I realise that I am a complete technophobe but I have/had an analogue phone and tablet. The charming chaps behind the Player setup don't tell you until after you have paid up that it isn't available on analogue devices. Brilliant and no refund of course.
OK thinks me. I need a new tablet. I will get an iPad. Check with Player and yes that will give me access.
Trouble is it doesn't. I still can't view videos and presumably therefore won't get commentary.
It has to be me not doing something so any help much appreciated. Unfortunately I won't see my seven year old grandson for a week or so -he normally puts me right on these things. :lolol:

To watch on the ipad download the Football League app from the store.

It works fine but once you start watching match highlights you'll be off to Specsavers believing your eyes are totally fecked

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
*Mega rant alert*

I couldn't believe my eyes reading that they've renewed the contract. WHY? Why the hell should the football league have any say at all in who designs the websites of our clubs? How much must they be making out of us? They're getting MILLIONS every year to do absolutely **** all. "Oh look we've got a few shitty templates you can use for your website, they don't work and I know your kid could design something nicer looking and more functional. But **** you alright? You HAVE to pick one of them".

"....Oh, also, we're not going to bother giving your fans ANY new features. £5 please. We're still going to have a video site with terrible encoding that uses flash and is basically a broken mess. Oh and every time you start the videos playing we'll set it to "Low" quality for your convenience... just so you get to see the first 5 seconds of the video twice whilst it reloads when you click "High"(MEGA LOLZ). It'll start from the beginning again because that was easier for us to code..

We've compensated you for not knowing which ****ing pixel the ball is by creating this shitheap iPhone app that never works, is never updated, looks like it was designed 5 years ago and never been touched since! And guess what? The video quality is even worse! Hurrah! £5 please. Oh also, if you're on 3G you can't watch long videos because **** YOU that's why"

For a web-based subscription service, I cannot think of a single site which would survive with such a terrible service and little innovation. The functionality of the video site hasn't improved a jot in 5 years. Actually, maybe the streams are more reliable. That's it. Nothing else has been updated. We pay £5 a month for a company to rest on it's laurels and rake in the cash. Marvelous.

If all of the clubs got together on this and protested as one, I wonder if things would change?

Wow. I was wondering why the thread was still floating around the top pages. I can NOT believe they've renewed the contract.

What the actual ****?

Top ranting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here