Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Breaking news on seagulls.co.uk - Albion launch new women's academy

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Good to see the club arent just focusing on the mens team and are wanting to develop womens football in Sussex while striving to become a WSL team.

If you dont want to know about it, dont read it - simple.

It's often not that simple though is it. Take the Official BHAFC Twitter feed for example on a Sunday afternoon. Endless tweets of ''GOAL!! Gill Noshmore has tapped in from 2 yards after great work on the wing from Carmel Toe. BHAFC now 2 up against HMP Holloway''

I've no objection if Women want to play football instead of getting the tea on or making a dent in the ironing. I just know I will never ever have any interest whatsoever in watching it or reading about it. The difference between this and say bowls, is that I don't get updates on the official website or twitter account about who has won what end and whose turn with the jack it is. Hive it off somewhere else ideally.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
It's often not that simple though is it. Take the Official BHAFC Twitter feed for example on a Sunday afternoon. Endless tweets of ''GOAL!! Gill Noshmore has tapped in from 2 yards after great work on the wing from Carmel Toe. BHAFC now 2 up against HMP Holloway''

I've no objection if Women want to play football instead of getting the tea on or making a dent in the ironing. I just know I will never ever have any interest whatsoever in watching it or reading about it. The difference between this and say bowls, is that I don't get updates on the official website or twitter account about who has won what end and whose turn with the jack it is. Hive it off somewhere else ideally.

The twitter point I have brought up with the club already. Hopefully this season we'll see a change.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne

The Twitter bit is an issue I admit, but for the website, you have a choice whether to view it or not. Also nice bit of casual sexism there as well......

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Great news but may take a large chunk out of scheduling the training/class room explaining Offside with the projector and PowerPoint?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Club deliberately taking the piss now IMHO. New Inbox post every day, each more rubbish than the last. At some point fairly soon. some will unsubscribe. Just a thought, but maybe time for the club to think about what they're mailing and stop mailing like complete wankers.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Club deliberately taking the piss now IMHO. New Inbox post every day, each more rubbish than the last. At some point fairly soon. some will unsubscribe. Just a thought, but maybe time for the club to think about what they're mailing and stop mailing like complete wankers.

See the one yesterday titled "Overline: Get Kitted Out" and it was about business telephones or some shit? I fail to believe that wasn't deliberate to make people click on it thinking it was the new kit.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
It's funded by the club but does not come under FFP. Don't know exactly why but I know it doesn't. Even if it did come under FFP, none of the women get paid so the affect on our budget would be extremely minimal.

So it's still cash out of the door though, which could be spent elsewhere with a better ROI?

Given a choice I'd rather fund Gully's Girls.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I think this is great news.

I watched the FA Cup women's final on the BBC a few days ago and I was thinking that it would be great for the Albion Ladies to be there - it would take just a little bit of investment and could easily be done.

The standard of the ladies game has already improved a lot since the Olympics. I can see it growing in popularity, but even if it doesn't, this is still great news for the Sussex community.

Growing in popularity to play for sure, to watch though, no chance.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
See the one yesterday titled "Overline: Get Kitted Out" and it was about business telephones or some shit? I fail to believe that wasn't deliberate to make people click on it thinking it was the new kit.

:thumbsup:

(as yer actual NSC thumbsup facility has been dumbly discontinued for whatever reason)

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
The Twitter bit is an issue I admit, but for the website, you have a choice whether to view it or not. Also nice bit of casual sexism there as well......

I never log onto the official site if I can help.

Well done for spotting the sexism (although not all of it). You should be Detective HawktheSeagull

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
To all the misogynists stuck in the last century...

Investment by the club in the women' game increases exposure among the half of the population that your comments casually degrade (you are no better than the racists or the homophobes). More fans equals more tickets sold and more shirts sold and more income for the club.

Look beyond the end of your tiny c*ck and engage your brain and think why the club might possibly think a women's academy might be a good idea FFS.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
To all the misogynists stuck in the last century...

Investment by the club in the women' game increases exposure among the half of the population that your comments casually degrade (you are no better than the racists or the homophobes). More fans equals more tickets sold and more shirts sold and more income for the club.

Look beyond the end of your tiny c*ck and engage your brain and think why the club might possibly think a women's academy might be a good idea FFS.

If it's cost neutral then by all minds it's a good thing as part of the clubs AITC work. Otherwise as a business venture it's a waste of time and money.

That is not being sexist that is just accepting the harsh reality that women's football does not capture the imagination of the general public, male or female.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
If it's cost neutral then by all minds it's a good thing as part of the clubs AITC work. Otherwise as a business venture it's a waste of time and money.

That is not being sexist that is just accepting the harsh reality that women's football does not capture the imagination of the general public, male or female.

With the greatest respect... B*llocks.
The club's academy is there now, the club already have a girl's team, this is merely formalising an existing situation. The women's and girl' team cost a tiny fraction of the men's to operate (given the pro women earn a year what some of first team players will earn in a fortnight!).

When given a chance girls want to play the game, this in turn breeds an interest in the whole sport. Give them female role models and they will be encouraged further. It's early stages and there is a long way to go and the blinkered sexism shown here helps no one, but as the parent of a teenage girl, I know of plenty who own a Brighton shirt solely because the enjoy the game and live in the city. One of the girls from my daughter's team has gone on to play for BHAFC Girls and will, hopefully, benefit from the academy and make her way into the team. She will inspire the next group of girls to follow and the club that embraces this will be a net gainer.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
With the greatest respect... B*llocks.
The club's academy is there now, the club already have a girl's team, this is merely formalising an existing situation. The women's and girl' team cost a tiny fraction of the men's to operate (given the pro women earn a year what some of first team players will earn in a fortnight!).

When given a chance girls want to play the game, this in turn breeds an interest in the whole sport. Give them female role models and they will be encouraged further. It's early stages and there is a long way to go and the blinkered sexism shown here helps no one, but as the parent of a teenage girl, I know of plenty who own a Brighton shirt solely because the enjoy the game and live in the city. One of the girls from my daughter's team has gone on to play for BHAFC Girls and will, hopefully, benefit from the academy and make her way into the team. She will inspire the next group of girls to follow and the club that embraces this will be a net gainer.

I understand all of what you are saying, I also have a (nearly) teenage daughter, a friend of which plays for Brighton's women's team, so I am well aware of the good it does. I am not in any way saying they shouldn't exist.

However there is no way that our support increases more as a result. My daughter loved Gully's Girls, but has shown no interest in going to watch the women's team, even though she knows one of them! She loves going to see the men's first team and idolises some of the players. To say she can't do that because she is a girl, and needs her own team is actually very sexist in itself.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
And how would you get womens football to grow if the only place it could advertise was on specific websites for womens football?

How does anything grow ? It grows if people are interested.

You could advertise the Nordic Tractor-Pull Championships on every commercial break of Britans Got Talent, doesn't mean people are suddenly going to start rocking up to it in their droves.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here