Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT - Anyone know about watches ?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I've recently completed 30 years service at work and will be getting £500 (and a certificate).
I've decided I'd like to get a decent watch as I like watches and it will be something that will (hopefully) last a long time.

I've looked on Amazon and seen a few I like such as Bulova and Luminox but I don't really know what's what in that price range. I like "chunky" chronograph type watches rather than "dressy". Roman numerals are a no-no.

Any advice ?

Look at a few auction houses, you'll get much more for your money, and if you
Want a true classic, you will save a bundle. FWIW my wife runs www.denhams.com in Horsham, and they have regularly very nice watches, and you'll pay a quarter of what a shop in the lanes will sell the same for. I have a 1965 Omega Chronostop, very nice, true vintage, and real quality, and it cost less than £500 10 years ago.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
I am selling a cracking U-Boat watch in the general classifieds section sounds exactly what you are looking for style wise as well...

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Ive got an old watch you can have for £500. I've even got a card machine for your pre paid credit card.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Cartier is the only way

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
There's a lot of suggestions here which completely ignore the £500 budget, even for used examples.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Cartier is the only way

Until you can afford this!

image.jpg

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I'm rather drawn to this feller but it says it is "automatic". Does that mean it hasn't got a battery and relies on movement to keep it going ? If so, how long is it likely to go for before needing resetting (will I need to set the time every morning) ?

c11-auto-svkt_christopher-ward_1_1.jpg

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
I'm rather drawn to this feller but it says it is "automatic". Does that mean it hasn't got a battery and relies on movement to keep it going ? If so, how long is it likely to go for before needing resetting (will I need to set the time every morning) ?

c11-auto-svkt_christopher-ward_1_1.jpg

No battery and is wound by movement.

Will stop after about 2 days with no movement.

Wear it when having some "you time"...will be fine for days!

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
What makes me chuckle is the watches marketed as "200 metres divers watches". I know a lot of divers, including people who go to 60+ metres (mostly on rebreathers) and none of them wears a watch when diving. If I'm at 200 metres, the only thing I want to be wearing is a submarine.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here