Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Courier Wars

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
UPS for me are good & relatively reliable
Parcel force aren't too bad but once left a parcel in a 'safe place' ie: under a bin bag not even hidden, bare in mind this was a very expensive piece of equipment.
City Link & Hermes - :facepalm: Nothing more needed to be said. (Well actually...City Link delivered one of my packages practically torn in half, cellotaped rubbishly and soaked through with water, luckily it was only a few jumpers)

I haven't used many others mind

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I've just had a run-in with APC. They've left a 'sorry we missed you card', which said to give them a call. So I did. When I told them the number on the card, the bloke said: 'are you Mrs...'. I said no, and said I had this card, so could you redeliver the item. He said, we've tried to deliver three times already, and that we'd have to collect it. I pointed out to them that they were responsible for delivering the item. He said yes, 'but we can't deliver them 68 times when you're out'. At this point, I didn't think it was worth indicating that there's a difference between three and 68. We continued for a while, and he finished by saying that 'if she doesn't come and collect the item, we'll send it back to where it came from'. I'll leave it to them to sort it out.

lucky u got a card...apparently they tried to deliver monday, i was out...NO CARD THROUGH THE DOOR..i chased up the sender today to find out what had happened..cant say i was that pleased.

I find DPD really efficient and love the text they send specifying delivery within an hour time slot which they have stuck to every time...the guy who delivered on tuesday said he had 287 drops the day before

adammicheal

Jan 3, 2006
I work for Hermes and have done for last 6 years doing the same 2 rounds and in that time i must have had about 100 enquirys max. I find it amazing how many people suddenly find a parcel they couldnt find before when you ask for a crime reference number for the insurance claim for the missing parcel,

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Ooh we have a last minute drama here. Come present wrapping time one of the presents ordered by Mrs Rolls, is not actually here A quick check with the courier reveals....

Date Time Status
09/12/2013 22:11 Preadvice Update
09/12/2013 15:23 Delivered to Secure Location
09/12/2013 10:24 Courier Received
09/12/2013 04:46 Out For Delivery To Courier
09/12/2013 01:02 Processed at Depot
09/12/2013 00:57 Receipt at Depot
08/12/2013 19:46 Hub Sorter Receipt Scan
08/12/2013 19:46 Missing Pre-Advice

To be fair there was no one in on the 9th, but there is nothing here to suggest that a delivery was attempted and certainly no card.

So NSC guess the courier ?

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Ooh we have a last minute drama here. Come present wrapping time one of the presents ordered by Mrs Rolls, is not actually here A quick check with the courier reveals....

Date Time Status
09/12/2013 22:11 Preadvice Update
09/12/2013 15:23 Delivered to Secure Location
09/12/2013 10:24 Courier Received
09/12/2013 04:46 Out For Delivery To Courier
09/12/2013 01:02 Processed at Depot
09/12/2013 00:57 Receipt at Depot
08/12/2013 19:46 Hub Sorter Receipt Scan
08/12/2013 19:46 Missing Pre-Advice

To be fair there was no one in on the 9th, but there is nothing here to suggest that a delivery was attempted and certainly no card.

So NSC guess the courier ?

Hermes?

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
I've just had a run-in with APC. They've left a 'sorry we missed you card', which said to give them a call. So I did. When I told them the number on the card, the bloke said: 'are you Mrs...'. I said no, and said I had this card, so could you redeliver the item. He said, we've tried to deliver three times already, and that we'd have to collect it. I pointed out to them that they were responsible for delivering the item. He said yes, 'but we can't deliver them 68 times when you're out'. At this point, I didn't think it was worth indicating that there's a difference between three and 68. We continued for a while, and he finished by saying that 'if she doesn't come and collect the item, we'll send it back to where it came from'. I'll leave it to them to sort it out.

It is irresponsible of YOU to order at item for delivery as you were aware there would likely be (as x3 is evidence) no'one to present collect & you have not given instructions re neighbour/porch etc.
A £5 surcharge for 2nd or more attempts should be applied for inconsiderate buyers like yourself to concentrate the mind & help speed delivery to others

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
If my son was delivering it you would get it provided somebody was in or you answered the card he leaves asking you to ring him to arrange redelivery. If not who is to blame not the courier or company.

You miss the point. This isn't about your son or any other courier, it is about a company with piss poor processes. One package clearly not delivered, what does their website say ? Don't contact us, contact the people who sent the goods. Other couriers manage the process, so even if things go wrong and they can do, there is some way of sorting it out. Read all the positive comments on DPD on this thread and tell me you can't see the difference.

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010
Couldn't agree more Mr Rolls. As an example, only this week Yodel were meant to be delivering a package to me on a next day delivery basis. For 48 hours their website said 'out with courier'. Turns out the sender messed up and only sent Yodel a label and no package yet all Yodel could tell me was that the package had been delayed but was with the courier. It isn't difficult to get a message through to sender and/or recipient that there is a problem! Its as much about the process/system as the individual courier.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You miss the point. This isn't about your son or any other courier, it is about a company with piss poor processes. One package clearly not delivered, what does their website say ? Don't contact us, contact the people who sent the goods. Other couriers manage the process, so even if things go wrong and they can do, there is some way of sorting it out. Read all the positive comments on DPD on this thread and tell me you can't see the difference.

Could this be down to the fact that Hermes are the biggest courier company and still growing and like a lot of companies they get so big that the little man suffers.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Parcel Force have just dropped right down the list for me. I checked online to see the progress of a parcel I have been waiting for and it says "Addressee advised to collect from Post Office", which would be fine if it wasn't a lie, there was no card through my door. So I phoned them up and discovered it has been left at my "local" Post Office, which isn't the one nearest me because they can't drop parcels off there (London Road, not exactly the middle of nowhere). So I now have to go to a Post Office which is about 2 miles away from my flat and apparently have to pay £1 for the "convenience" of collecting it. :rant:

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Amazon prime are about to start trialling Sunday deliveries in a few big cities. Could be a game changer if this takes off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here