Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Boxing Day Myth

albionite

May 20, 2009
Like Southern don't make enough profit anyway! If they had semblance of good in them they would put on and improve services using their profits instead of rolling in it and laughing to the bank with their shareholders.
Transport should be for the good of the people, not for the good of a few rich people.

Will have nothing to do with southern even if you throw money at them, signallers (networkrail) don't work on boxing day either apart from on main line.
Game will be moved nearer the time due to police advice.

albionite

May 20, 2009
Only down the Arun valley changed to Three Bridges. Still small signal boxes along west coast(Lancing) and east coast(Lewes/Newhaven)

Will have nothing to do with southern even if you throw money at them, signallers (networkrail) don't work on boxing day either apart from on main line.
Game will be moved nearer the time due to police advice.

And there will be no comeback for the Albion for this?

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
100% it won't.

The club have already said it will take place and it wont be moved - are they really going to set themselves up for a fall ?

Only down the Arun valley changed to Three Bridges. Still small signal boxes along west coast(Lancing) and east coast(Lewes/Newhaven)

Brighton area (which Falmer is included in), is controlled from Three Bridges. The East Coast should be switched there by the end of the year, though that resignalling is running 1 YEAR late.

Southern would probably run a service if they receive extra cash to cover the increased staff costs, so the match could be no free travel for the trains if anything was to run, which they wouldnt. Then Network Rail would need to have the signals manned from Three Bridges as well as an extra response team to respond to anything that could go wrong. Unfortunately, both companies are within their rights to ask for more money since Boxing Day is a public holiday and since the line would have been closed, all associated staff to provide a service need to be paid extra. BHAFC will already be paying its own staff extra, and probably P&R too, so I cant see them paying for trains too.

Like i said, they simply will not run. Perhaps a bus shuttle service could be ran by B&H Buses to Brighton Station instead, would be far cheaper than trains.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Whether the following is urban myth, I'm not sure? I suspect it could be? I was told by somebody I know who works for South West Trains at Waterloo some time ago, the train operating companies contracts state that trains should run on Boxing Day, but its cheaper to pay the associated fines for not running a service?

I personally think there is a case for running services in this day and age, even if it was limited to those lines where there is reasonable demand. Aside from so many sports fixtures, all the stores are open, plus those simply wanting to go from A to B, the case for opening is far stronger that it was some years ago.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Out of interest, has there been ANY event at the Amex (Albion or otherwise) where over 20,000 people have been present and the trains haven't been running?

I recall there was one summer concert immediately after the first season where trains were running but didn't stop at Falmer after the concert.

Personally, I think the club will pray for adverse weather conditions to have the game called off. But I think there's a reason we've got cuddly little Reading on Boxing Day rather than Millwall or even one of the less troublesome London clubs, and that's that the club might well end up playing this game rather than risk a fine.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Don't forget there is now a ready made Park & Ride site in Lancing with 12 pitches that can take many many cars! :D In all seriousness, I actually do think this site will become a Park & Ride but I have no idea about how many cars can be parked there.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I think the game will go ahead. I think most people will drive, either to the P&R; Car parks or Brighton itself. I also think Seagulls Travel will lay on a shedload of coaches from all over Sussex (probably planning this already). There may also be some from of shuttle bus service from Brighton station. I also suspect that those who are able to may avail themselves of the opportunity to walk or cycle off their festive feasts. Given the amount of time people have to make arrangements for this game I think it will pass off a lot better than people currently think.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The club tell me...

The club has been in discussions with both Brighton & Hove Bus Company and Southern Trains about the provision of transport services for our match against Reading on Boxing Day. These discussions have been very positive and both the bus company and train company are working out the details of the services they will be providing. We will provide detailed information about the services that are being provided closer to the date.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Get a pushbike.

Great idea, forget public transport lets organise a mass cycle ride to Falmer. It can even go down the middle of the road and over Ditchling Beacon to see how many car drivers we can annoy.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Personally, I think the club will pray for adverse weather conditions to have the game called off.

when has a boxing day game last been called off for adverse weather? most years its cold but benign, would be a massive gamble to being expecting snow.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/article/winter-home-tickets-on-sale-tuesday-1891592.aspx

...............................................Meanwhile, the club is close to finalising travel arrangements for the Boxing Day game with Reading at the Amex - with a full travel plan to be publicised in due course.

Services will include the usual near-site parking options (advance booking is strongly recommended), a full park-and-ride service and Seagull Travel's full coach service from across the county. Click here for the full range of pick-up options.

In addition to a standard bank holiday, Boxing Day operation Brighton & Hove Buses will be running additional 25 services.

Southern Railways are also expected to be running a number of train services between Brighton and Lewes, with limited Boxing Day services on the London-to-Brighton line.
Read more at http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/arti...sale-tuesday-1891592.aspx#g0JztSMmYhmeozdJ.99

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here