Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FIFA Poppy Fine

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
I am dropping out of this thread as I will upset too many.

Are you surprised? You do realise that what you said is very stupid, don't you? Unless you can define your ridiculous generalisation with some specifics.

Some people accuse you of living in the 1950s with your football views. Your recent comment on racism puts you in the 1850s.

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
What I cannot understand is how wearing a poppy is classed as political or religious.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
There are rules.
They were broken.
We were fined a small amount.
End of story.

I disagee with the end of story part.

It's ludicrous and totally unfair and can't really see their reasoning at all. I'm glad the home nation FA's actually stood up to them and went for it anyway- but these two comments from FIFA stand out to me

"The display, among others, of any political or religious symbol is strictly prohibited," he added.
Loads of countries display religious symbols on their shirts- often in the form of the countries badge...Israel, Turkey, Portugal and in fact, England being four examples

"In the stadium and on the pitch, there is only room for sport, nothing else."
Do me a favour- how is surrounding the pitch with billboards (mostly for companies totally unrelated to sport and often for really, really unethical companies) showing that there is 'only room for sport' inside the stadium?!

Great post.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
There are rules.
They were broken.
We were fined a small amount.
End of story.

Possibly, but why were England fined so much more than Scotland for the same "offence"?

And also has been previously pointed out, other countries fined less for racist chants from supporters.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Fifa disciplinary committee chairman Claudio Sulser said he "fully respected" the commemorations..."

Poppycock.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The 'rule' is wrong. The poppy is no different to a black armband except it is special to British military dead.

Getting tired of football and it's mawkish commemoration of nearly EVERY tragedy, big and small, local, national, international...and soon galactic no doubt. Absolutely meaningless unless got something to do with THAT team.

mooey

Mar 30, 2012
Unfortunately this is life the corrupt dishing out the rules.that they can just flaunt when it suit them.for me personally all the bits and bobs minute silence applause ect.... should nt be forced on people they should do it because they want to id rather it be kept away from football as that is all I goto football for the the air crash was different as it affected our club.i still will stay slient though just out of respect for other people.

mooey

Mar 30, 2012
Unfortunately this is life the corrupt dishing out the rules.that they can just flaunt when it suit them.for me personally all the bits and bobs minute silence applause ect.... should nt be forced on people they should do it because they want to id rather it be kept away from football as that is all I goto football for the the air crash was different as it affected our club.i still will stay slient though just out of respect for other people.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
So why didn't you? Just asking, like...............................

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Getting tired of football and it's mawkish commemoration of nearly EVERY tragedy, big and small, local, national, international...and soon galactic no doubt. Absolutely meaningless unless got something to do with THAT team.

I think there is a great difference between Armistice day and a celebration for an individual. In this case the game was played on that day so showing respect is IMO the correct thing to do. I agree that wearing of black armbands would generally be more suitable.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
"In the stadium and on the pitch, there is only room for sport, nothing else."[/I]

And loads of advertising to please FIFA's commercial partners of course.

Having said that, we were made aware of the rules and as much as we disagreed, it was our choice to break them. The fine was as depressingly inevitable as some of the virtue signalling that has gone on around this matter.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I think there is a great difference between Armistice day and a celebration for an individual. In this case the game was played on that day so showing respect is IMO the correct thing to do. I agree that wearing of black armbands would generally be more suitable.

Yep and the rest of the nation did it at 11am so why is football special? And why didn't do during preceding 100 years? Sorry, it's just another symbol of our narcassistic society today eg If not captured on film, social media or demonstrably marked then it can't have happened.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here