Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
[MENTION=27162]RandyWanger[/MENTION], I guess it depends how long you are here. You might be better off going cheap at Lidl etc then binning it before you go home. What to wear is tough for me. Saturday was not cold but a puncture resulting in a tube swap left us both feeling really cold. 2 layers was fine at 8 degrees when moving but no good at rest.
[MENTION=1320]Notters[/MENTION], go to your LBS. My mate's peener sounds like a toolbag rolling down a hill. Get someone else to sort it.

Saturday might be 0 degrees for me. Or a lie in as it'll now be known.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
[MENTION=27162]RandyWanger[/MENTION], I guess it depends how long you are here. You might be better off going cheap at Lidl etc then binning it before you go home. What to wear is tough for me. Saturday was not cold but a puncture resulting in a tube swap left us both feeling really cold. 2 layers was fine at 8 degrees when moving but no good at rest.

[MENTION=1320]Notters[/MENTION], go to your LBS. My mate's peener sounds like a toolbag rolling down a hill. Get someone else to sort it.

Blimey Moto, what's made you come over all profligate? Won the lottery or something?

1) Lidl cycling clothing is not only good enough for more than one visit, it's definitely good enough for at least a few good seasons or more.

2) Notters has a brain, two hands and access to youtube at home. What's stopping him doing his own fettling!?

Oh, come to think of it, you may have a point on point two. Someone seemed to think it a good idea to just "turn the bike upside down" rather than invest in a decent bike stand when one was recommended :whistle: That'll learn him! :lol:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Blimey Moto, what's made you come over all profligate? Won the lottery or something?

1) Lidl cycling clothing is not only good enough for more than one visit, it's definitely good enough for at least a few good seasons or more.

2) Notters has a brain, two hands and access to youtube at home. What's stopping him doing his own fettling!?

Oh, come to think of it, you may have a point on point two. Someone seemed to think it a good idea to just "turn the bike upside down" rather than invest in a decent bike stand when one was recommended :whistle: That'll learn him! :lol:
I don't want to bloody pay someone to look at it. It's barely done a hundred miles!

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005

No such luck. I just play the percentages game sometimes. When I went abroad last, I looked into hiring a bike but it was silly money. If there was a local stylee ToysRus I'd have been tempted to buy a silly cheap bike, ride it to funk and leave it somewhere obscure before heading off to the airport.
[MENTION=27162]RandyWanger[/MENTION] go to Sports Direct instead then.
[MENTION=1320]Notters[/MENTION], don't trust him. He wants to see how long before Tourette's sets in.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I don't want to bloody pay someone to look at it. It's barely done a hundred miles!

Exactly that!

Best off paying out for a cheap but very decent bike stand instead and start from there. :wink:

Anyway, all you probably need at this stage of developments, as Bold suggested earlier, is a quarter turn or two in the right direction of the cable adjusters. You wait 'til you have to start adjusting front derailleur height and angles as well... that's when the fun really kicks in.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
No such luck. I just play the percentages game sometimes. When I went abroad last, I looked into hiring a bike but it was silly money. If there was a local stylee ToysRus I'd have been tempted to buy a silly cheap bike, ride it to funk and leave it somewhere obscure before heading off to the airport.

[MENTION=27162]RandyWanger[/MENTION] go to Sports Direct instead then.

[MENTION=1320]Notters[/MENTION], don't trust him. He wants to see how long before Tourette's sets in.

Are you suggesting that somehow fettling can cause one to lose one's cool and turn the air blue? What on earth would bring you to that conclusion!? :lol:

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London

I wish I could go cheap at Lidl, I don't have that mentality. Always thought the first rule of any sport was to look the part.

I did pack my merino wool base layer that I wear up the mountain in the winter, I'm looking for waterproof bib tights to go over the top (or do I not need to layer up) and a waterproof light weight jacket that'll fit in my back pocket on my jersey if it's not raining.

I didnt think about a hat to go under my helmet, thanks to who recommended that.

My shoes are heavily vented as it gets baking hot here in summer, so will seal skin socks be enough or will I need those over shoes too?

Thanks. Appreciate the help.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I wish I could go cheap at Lidl, I don't have that mentality. Always thought the first rule of any sport was to look the part.

I did pack my merino wool base layer that I wear up the mountain in the winter, I'm looking for waterproof bib tights to go over the top (or do I not need to layer up) and a waterproof light weight jacket that'll fit in my back pocket on my jersey if it's not raining.

I didnt think about a hat to go under my helmet, thanks to who recommended that.

My shoes are heavily vented as it gets baking hot here in summer, so will seal skin socks be enough or will I need those over shoes too?

You can go for bib tights or ones without an insert that go over shorts. The latter tend to be a little cheaper, excellent review here -

http://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/98215-buyer%E2%80%99s-guide-tights-and-trousers-cycling

The shoe thing depends on your tolerance for numb toes. I wear woolie-boolie thermal socks and spring/autumn waterproof overshoes, it means I get more use out of the overshoes as I'm not doing a lot of deep winter miles. Having said that, Garmin said -2 this morning and my toes were a bit frosty by the time I arrived at work!

You might want to get some cheaper overshoes that will be windproof and waterproof so you can get more use out of them.

The waterproof issue can set you back some serious dosh. A cheap waterproof jacket is a seriously unpleasant (sweaty) thing to wear! You could think about this -

http://road.cc/content/review/137332-endura-adrenaline-race-gilet

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Alternatively RW you could take a leaf out of my book.
That being 'just wear ALL of your summer kit'.

2 base layers a long sleeve jersey with a short sleeve on top.
I don't imagine what I'll be wearing when it's proper cold.

This autumn I've become a convert to the cap (under helmet of course), which kind of tells me, previously, I didn't ride cold enough to need one.

A proper proper low rent solution to cold vented shoes is ...

... wear plastic bags over your socks, nappy sacks are ideal. :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So what you're saying [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] is a big tall glass of man the f**k up then before leaving the house and get on with it, if you get cold, pedal harder?
Hell no, you haven't seen me going out.
I look (even more so) like the Michelin man who's let himself go.

If you get cold...cry.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I'm in a bizarre quandary with winter clothing. My dad can't get out on the bike much this winter and, as he spends far more money on bike-related stuff than me, has given me a castelli jacket.

The fit is excellent and I'm sure it cost a pretty penny however, it is is a bizarre combination of very warm but very breathable. I can't work out how to wear it/what to pair it with to make it useful. Seems a waste to leave it in the cupboard!

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Smeg. Not a great choice here. Tomorrow 0 to 3 degrees all day for me. Sunday morning wet but up to 8. Got a third layer laid out and will have a little look.

My mate is singing up for the Castle 100 tonight. 1/2 price if you get in quick. I should, but can't get wood for it. Maybe because I know quite a lot of it already?

Ah well. Not long until the TDU now.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Smeg. Not a great choice here. Tomorrow 0 to 3 degrees all day for me. Sunday morning wet but up to 8. Got a third layer laid out and will have a little look.

My mate is singing up for the Castle 100 tonight. 1/2 price if you get in quick. I should, but can't get wood for it. Maybe because I know quite a lot of it already?

What is the Castle 100? Why do you need wood for it?

:wink:

What is your mate singing?

I may go to the gym tomorrow. :smile:

I'm not going to Derby, anyway.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Oh poohbums.

Sunday is the sportive I've had an eye on all autumn and used as a motivation for riding.
The weather has been dry and cold all week, inc tomorrow.

It's now changed to almost perfect except for heavy rain between 7 and 9.
Then 8 degrees and sunny.

Hypothermia here I come.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
What is the Castle 100? Why do you need wood for it?

Champion.

I really wanna do a tonne, but this doesn't get my nuts twitching.

What is your mate singing?

Sorry, should have house-styled that to SINGING. Can't edit it now.

I may go to the gym tomorrow. :smile:

:safeway:

Anyway, DILAC. Was gonna ride solo this morning anyway. Mrs M is alleging a bit of undertheweatherness, so I 'negotiated' a shorter ride. Roads looked dry from the bedroom window - a wet look at this coldness means black ice to me - so I'm on. Extra layers and taped up vents and eventually I'm off. Within 10m I'm happy. 100m later and the roads are wet. Piss flaps! I give it a few mins but don't like it at all. Its gonna be a poxy weekend.

:ffsparr:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Lovely out there today for riding. Bright sunshine, hardly a breathe of wind. Bit chilly around the edges, especially when out of the sun, but on the whole very nice to be riding in.

Did what amounted to a 20 mile cycling proficiency test with the kids. Not the most relaxing ride for me it has to be said, but they enjoyed it and I at least had the comfort of never actually breaking sweat.

Here's hoping for dry weather tomorrow to get out for a proper ride.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here