Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Flasks banned from the Amex

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Lords Cricket Ground I and 3 friends went to test match at Lords this season. Not only did we take enough to eat for lunch and tea but each also took in a bottle of wine and glasses. Just madness that a flask cannot be taken in. Unfortunatly in the Premier league club can charge what they like and do what they like. It will only be when/if they got relegated that tickets dont walk out the door and they have to once again think whats best for the spectator.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
And Barber likes a profit, doesn't he.

I know I know, that was my knee-jerk first thought, but to be fair, you'd never be allowed in a concert carrying a flask. Football at this level is like going to the O2, like it or loathe it. On the other hand, bits of my family support AFC Wimbledon, and annually popping along there for a winter's afternoon, loaded down with tea and sandwiches, is an unheralded joy in life. So of course it's crappy, but there's nothing else to be done imo.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Lords Cricket Ground I and 3 friends went to test match at Lords this season. Not only did we take enough to eat for lunch and tea but each also took in a bottle of wine and glasses. Just madness that a flask cannot be taken in. .

Your example is literally the only International Test ground in the world that allows that.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
For security reasons these things are never going to be communicated in a fully transparent way but can easily be worked out.

It's never been a surprise to me that pies but not cornish pasties are available within the stadium.

Although a pie is dangerous you can only take one person out at a time since they destruct on impact. Speak to any clown and they will recommend you a pie for health and safety reasons.

However a Cornish Pasty with its clear serrated edge can do all sorts of damage before falling apart/being eaten by the assailant.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It is not so much only the banning of flasks but the pathetic reasoning given and treating us all as if we are idiots to not realise the correct reason. REVENUE.

BG on the button as always.

How many people take a flask to the game, probably no more than 50.

Multiply that by one cuppa at £2.20, of which profit is say £1.50.

Multiply that by 19 home matches = £1,425 a season, which for a business turning over £135,000,000 a year is significant.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Yes. It is but so what. They are lounges or pubs or restaurants. Since when could you start bringing in your own crisps to the pub etc. Nothing to do with flasks in rest of ground.

Now If the club banned my Dad from taking in his sweets to the WSU then I’m with you but they’re not.

Actually, for 1901 members flasks AND food.

So 1901 members should not have the same rights to eat sweets in their seats as well?

This is not about eating in the lounges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
BG on the button as always.

How many people take a flask to the game, probably no more than 50.

Multiply that by one cuppa at £2.20, of which profit is say £1.50.

Multiply that by 19 home matches = £1,425 a season, which for a business turning over £135,000,000 a year is significant.
I agree BG is barking up the wrong tree as usual but would suggest that plenty of people take a flask to the footie and would imagine it's at least on the high hundreds judging by our party and those that i see around us. Forgive my response if you were using hyperbola.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would think that the number is well in excess of 50 and if you take into account the number of people who take sandwiches, cakes sausage roll and sweets etc in to the ground especially the elderly and those with children I would think the possible revenue increase if all bought in the ground would be considerably more than you say when trying to take the p..s I do not believe that it is entirely revenue based but neither is it security.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
I know I know, that was my knee-jerk first thought, but to be fair, you'd never be allowed in a concert carrying a flask. Football at this level is like going to the O2, like it or loathe it. On the other hand, bits of my family support AFC Wimbledon, and annually popping along there for a winter's afternoon, loaded down with tea and sandwiches, is an unheralded joy in life. So of course it's crappy, but there's nothing else to be done imo.

Funny but I have never seen anyone at an indoor concert in winter freezing and needing a hot drink.:lolol:

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
For security reasons these things are never going to be communicated in a fully transparent way but can easily be worked out.

It's never been a surprise to me that pies but not cornish pasties are available within the stadium.

Although a pie is dangerous you can only take one person out at a time since they destruct on impact. Speak to any clown and they will recommend you a pie for health and safety reasons.

However a Cornish Pasty with its clear serrated edge can do all sorts of damage before falling apart/being eaten by the assailant.

:lolol:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Actually, for 1901 members flasks AND food.

So 1901 members should not have the same rights to eat sweets in their seats as well?

This is not about eating in the lounges.

Ha ! i've never thought about this and frankly don't intend to. So nope. I don't know.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I would think that the number is well in excess of 50 and if you take into account the number of people who take sandwiches, cakes sausage roll and sweets etc in to the ground especially the elderly and those with children I would think the possible revenue increase if all bought in the ground would be considerably more than you say when trying to take the p..s

You said it was for one reason REVENUE. If so, why wait until we are in the 7th/8th year at the Amex and making over £100m a year from TV monies and now making a profit, when the ban could have been introduced years ago when the club was losing money hand over fist, if all the club was interested in was revenue?

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Your example is literally the only International Test ground in the world that allows that.

What a good example then. Having a picnic at rear of Pavillion or Nursery ground is a tradition for so many so they have used there common sense and done whats best for spectator and not H and S officer

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
It's one of those debates where you never get a consensus.

Maybe it's worth somebody suggesting on Ask The Club whether the club would consider introducing a "Flask Zone/Section?

I'd imagine the most sensible starting place would be the South Stand. The PR would of course have to be handled correctly since inevitably a few non flask season ticket holders would have to move seats.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Thanks for confirming that.

I for one believe Paul Barber when he says it's not financial as in any case the kiosks are overloaded anyway, particularly at half time. However I cannot remember a decision by the club which has ever annoyed me more.

The decision to sell our ground to developers with no alternative in place did irk a bit, to be honest.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
PB reckons hot drinks are not overpriced and comparable to High Street prices. So our lukewarm watered selection served in a school canteen push and shove conditions is comparable to a Costa or something similar in a nice coffee shop?

If it isn't about revenue and the amounts are insignificant, introduce the ban but cut the price of a hot drink to £1. Problem solved everyone's happy.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
It's one of those debates where you never get a consensus.

Maybe it's worth somebody suggesting on Ask The Club whether the club would consider introducing a "Flask Zone/Section?

I'd imagine the most sensible starting place would be the South Stand. The PR would of course have to be handled correctly since inevitably a few non flask season ticket holders would have to move seats.

Flask Zone Section What a good idea. Club would then know where all these potentialy dangerous people were and have armed guards nearby.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here