Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Please... someone tell me we aren't 8th

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
You’re equal on points with Huddersfield, who many of you seem to still think will get relegated, so don’t get carried away! ��

Glad to see Town and Brighton doing well in the prem though! Long may it continue.

Sorry, you are? I forget, you're not that memorable.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
We will be mid-top of the Prem. If Swansea and West Ham are a bench mark, seriously? Teams in this league seem to be in a PL bubble. The football is quite dire so far. And we can do dire.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
You’re equal on points with Huddersfield, who many of you seem to still think will get relegated, so don’t get carried away! ��

Glad to see Town and Brighton doing well in the prem though! Long may it continue.

I was reading DATM at the start of the season, and many of your fans were saying the same about us. I think I remember one quote along the lines of 'One thing's for certain, that lot will finish bottom' and others suggesting you had 'stolen our publicity'. :shrug:

Nothing against Hudds myself but seemed strange since if anybody it should be us that has the grudge, bearing in mind your manager trying and failing with mindgames. That's mainly directed at Wagner though, hope we both stay up not least because my list of preferred teams to go down is well into double figures.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Was not confident at the start of the season. Now I believe but as a long standing Albion fan I know they will make it difficult.
Well of course :)

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Lots was made about the gulf between the premier league and the championship but outside the top 6 this isn't really true is it? Last season in the prem anyone from 8th and lower could have gone down with a couple of bad bounces and a few bad ref decisions. As other have said, we are second in the outside the big six league and that is amazing.

None of the Promoted teams are in the bottom 8 of the prem and none of the relegated teams are in the top 8 of the championship. If there was a massive gulf in class then surely this wouldn't be the case.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's amazing just how many rubbish teams we've played.

The small section of 6-0-6 that I listened to last night, when it wasn't embarrassingly fawning over 10 year olds, was basically a succession of Southampton, Swansea, WBA and West Ham fans saying how cack they were.

Now that may well be the case, but at no point throughout this barrage of 'we even lost to Brighton' did Jason Mohammed or Nimrod say 'Brighton deserve some credit'.
Perhaps I missed all of that, or someone put them right, but as coincidences go chances are they weren't all just really bad teams, the Albion were just better.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lots was made about the gulf between the premier league and the championship but outside the top 6 this isn't really true is it? Last season in the prem anyone from 8th and lower could have gone down with a couple of bad bounces and a few bad ref decisions. As other have said, we are second in the outside the big six league and that is amazing.

None of the Promoted teams are in the bottom 8 of the prem and none of the relegated teams are in the top 8 of the championship. If there was a massive gulf in class then surely this wouldn't be the case.
Hmm. I'm still not sure about that. One of the reasons we're doing well, indeed by far the biggest reason IMO, is we recruited well in the summer. If we still had the same squad as we'd finished last season with I think you'd see how big the gap is between the two.

It does prove that with good management the gap between the two isn't insurmountable though - and it also proves that 30m pound players aren't ten times better than 3m pound players.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
You’re equal on points with Huddersfield, who many of you seem to still think will get relegated, so don’t get carried away! 😜

I am also glad that Hudds are doing well, I like the town, club and fans. But I find it interesting that the consensus is that you are a 'big' club, whatever that may be.

http://downatthemac.proboards.com/thread/107520/nbc-wagner-interview-tiny-club

I find this list pretty funny. I would only agree with Bournemouth btw.

think we're bigger than
watford
burnley
southampton
swansea
brighton
west ham
stoke
leicester
bournmouth
crystal

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
I don't get this pessimism about how we will fare against the other "Big Six". We defended resolutely against Man City and it took a mistake by us for them to get their first. We engaged in a damage limitation exercise at the Emirates, maybe unnecessarily.

With the exception of Man City, and possibly Spuds, the others aren't unbeatable. Manure lost to Huddersfield; Chelsea lost to CPFC2010 ffs. Liverpool even let Wetsham score against them. I think we will get something from at least one of our games against Manure, Liverpool, Spuds and Chelski before the end of the year.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Hmm. I'm still not sure about that. One of the reasons we're doing well, indeed by far the biggest reason IMO, is we recruited well in the summer. If we still had the same squad as we'd finished last season with I think you'd see how big the gap is between the two.

It does prove that with good management the gap between the two isn't insurmountable though - and it also proves that 30m pound players aren't ten times better than 3m pound players.

Players change every season. Only three of the summer signings are automatic starters this season and one of them replaces championship goalie of the year. Obviously groß has been brilliant and I really like the propper but you would expect at least some additions (just as you would losses if you went down).

Bong
Bruno
Duffy
Dunk
Stephens
March
Knockaert
Murray
Hemed

Have all done pretty well. The other have come in and boosted the squad rather than been a complete overhaul. Similar at Newcastle.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Players change every season. Only three of the summer signings are automatic starters this season and one of them replaces championship goalie of the year. Obviously groß has been brilliant and I really like the propper but you would expect at least some additions (just as you would losses if you went down).

Bong
Bruno
Duffy
Dunk
Stephens
March
Knockaert
Murray
Hemed

Have all done pretty well. The other have come in and boosted the squad rather than been a complete overhaul. Similar at Newcastle.

Well yes of course players change every season, but not always for the better! And yes, we had a good squad last season, and all the angst (aka 'bedwetting') over not signing a new striker now seems very misplaced, but the players we have brought in (and over a third of the regular starters are new signings) have made us as a team a lot better than we were last season, and a lot more prepared for the Prem. Would you not agree?

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
and all the angst (aka 'bedwetting') over not signing a new striker now seems very misplaced,

Well to a degree... The advantage we have in January is that this coming transfer window is a very nice, simple one dimensional challenge..

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Well yes of course players change every season, but not always for the better! And yes, we had a good squad last season, and all the angst (aka 'bedwetting') over not signing a new striker now seems very misplaced, but the players we have brought in (and over a third of the regular starters are new signings) have made us as a team a lot better than we were last season, and a lot more prepared for the Prem. Would you not agree?

Of course. The three regular starters (I am not going to say a third because solly or Jose is a coin flip) have been good. Of course we are stronger but if there is a huge gulf then we would need more than three or four.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A new day and I keep having a glance at the league table.

Early days, but who would have thought after 11 games - 8th, 15 points and just a goal/game conceded?

To give further perspective, the bookies/betting public had Hudd and BHA as big favourites for the bottom 2.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Well to a degree... The advantage we have in January is that this coming transfer window is a very nice, simple one dimensional challenge..

....and a much better option currently than we looked at the start of the season to a decent striker looking for a move.

Unpopulist

Dec 24, 2016
Sorry, you are? I forget, you're not that memorable.

What has knowing who I am got to do with anything?

As for comments on DATM, town have more than their fair share of deluded fans it is true. Personally I find the myopic nature of footie fans pretty silly nowadays. Having said that Huddersfield fans haven’t had much chance to brag in the last 40 years!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
What has knowing who I am got to do with anything?

As for comments on DATM, town have more than their fair share of deluded fans it is true. Personally I find the myopic nature of footie fans pretty silly nowadays. Having said that Huddersfield fans haven’t had much chance to brag in the last 40 years!

Fair play, let you off :wink:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It's amazing just how many rubbish teams we've played.

The small section of 6-0-6 that I listened to last night, when it wasn't embarrassingly fawning over 10 year olds, was basically a succession of Southampton, Swansea, WBA and West Ham fans saying how cack they were.

Now that may well be the case, but at no point throughout this barrage of 'we even lost to Brighton' did Jason Mohammed or Nimrod say 'Brighton deserve some credit'.
Perhaps I missed all of that, or someone put them right, but as coincidences go chances are they weren't all just really bad teams, the Albion were just better.
Yawn. How many times have you ever phoned up 606 simply to praise the opposition then?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here