Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"One Club, One Ambition"

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
You can't go forwards every year though. As long as we are progressing, on average, over several seasons then we are doing ok. Why the big rush anyway? The best we can ever realistically expect is to get promoted and become a mid table Premiership club who may get near a cup win once a decade. If we wanted to become a top club that boat sailed some time in the 90s when all the money came into football.

You can't go forwards every year, but what better year to go forwards than one with an extra 8 million coming into the club because of an outgoing player transfer ???

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
But the squad that was put together when Poyet was here cost us 15m quid per annum more than our income. There is the conundrum. Whilst other clubs appear to want to gamble, we do not. If some other clubs come along and pinch our transfer targets because they want to pay them more money, then there is not a lot we can do about it, other than up our offer, which we are not going to do.

It does not mean the club lacks ambition - it means that we are going to play by the rules and until the playing field is levelled a bit then get used to it, as this could be the way it will be for a while.

Not 15mil though really is it / was it... Fiddled that bit a bit mate

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Over the last couple of season, maybe. But if we develop into a two two challenger over the next 5 or so years we have progressed. Have we not? It does not have to be at break neck speed all the time.

There's very little evidence of evolution in this league. Just take a look back over the past 10 seasons and see the vast majority of clubs have yo yo'd around, with the usual suspects coming down from Prem and going up and those coming up from L1 and then going down.

A club has to take it's chance when it gets it. We've had 2 and who knows when we get the next?

I'm sure someone like [MENTION=12595]Acker79[/MENTION] can give a fairly succinct answer on how many times clubs like Leeds, Forest, Derby, Leics, etc have featured in 10 years

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Whilst the long term ambition may be to be settled in the Premiership, and thereby worth something to the owner, the route we look to be taking is a bit round the houses. It is clear that from the amount of money invested on the development side, we will have to wait some time whilst we develop players to play and sell. Whether or not the fans will be happy to keep contributing to this will depend on what fair they dosh up in the interim. So far we have had some good stuff but this season will be a tester.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Whilst the long term ambition may be to be settled in the Premiership, and thereby worth something to the owner, the route we look to be taking is a bit round the houses. It is clear that from the amount of money invested on the development side, we will have to wait some time whilst we develop players to play and sell. Whether or not the fans will be happy to keep contributing to this will depend on what fair they dosh up in the interim. So far we have had some good stuff but this season will be a tester.

I don't disagree and I'm kind of happy about being in the Championship and the competitive nature of the league.

Problem with your hypotheses is that it's inconsistent with the PLR bollox we get rammed down our throat.

It should be N(nearly)PLR

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
You can't go forwards every year, but what better year to go forwards than one with an extra 8 million coming into the club because of an outgoing player transfer ???

Especially for a player we didn't need to sell, apparently.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Having the most fans with night time incontinence

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Plastered all over the new club shop. Most people seemed to take the ambition as being to reach the Premier League, which might explain all the suicidal reactions and angered thoughts as to the lack of new signings with Clayton going to Middlesbrough instead.

But have the club actually stated explicitly what the ambition is? Maybe the fans who assumed it was promotion have got it all wrong. It could mean:

• Being the only Championship club to comply with FFP
  • Losing the majority of our "new" fans who end up bored of mid table football
  • Avoiding relegation to League One
  • Setting a record for number of managers lost in post season resignations
  • Selling the most expensive pint of Harvey's in the UK

That sounds great. Remind me why I renewed my season ticket?

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I take you are not referring to Brighton who have finished 4th and 6th in the last two seasons. What mid-table team have you been supporting?
We got to the cup final once too...... should we cling to that as well?

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
If the club truly believe that we can be competitive this season with the current squad (including Ward or not), they are in for a big, big surprise. I can't recall when we have looked quite as poor in pre-season games, so defensively frail and so toothless up front. As things stand, I've lowered my ambitions, and would now just be grateful to stay up.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
One ambition? To take as much money as possible from supporters by charging top rates for tickets, food, drink and kit whilst providing them with only moderate entertainment on the pitch!

Think the ambition in the shop is to price everything at £45

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Ugh. I used to work at a place with the slogan "One World. One future." and "One Club. One Ambition." is equally meaningless and corporate bullshit.

Of course it's one fecking club. It's not going to be two is it? Well done.
It's not ONE ambition either. It's many. We're fulfilling many of our ambitions now. Stadium. Training ground. Sustainability. They are part of a wider vision.

These things don't matter much in the wider scheme of things. I'd rather have a decent striker. But when I see "One Club. One Ambition" written in the most overused, generic font going it makes me die a little on the inside.

Stand or Fall. We are Brighton. Literally anything I can think of is better. Ok I'm done. Breathe.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here