Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Our new Prime Minister Theresa May, and her cabinet...

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
It's still one nation - if the home counties are a nation

Hastings & Rye MP Amber Rudd as home secretary is perfectly placed to look the working classes in the eye and help heal broken Britain. Plus she'll do it with a touch of class.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
All the appointments represent constituencies south of Oxford.

It's going to be grim for those up North, and is inconsistent with the talk of a 'one nation'.

David Davis, who actually is a working-class Tory represents some Yorkshire constituency, although his accent suggests his origins are Home Counties (?). Of them, I actually quite like him.

And the one nation stuff seems blown out of the water within a few hours, by the cabinet appointments. And any substantial reincarnation of a one nation is going to involve major surgery over decades and will require taming the power of finance -- hardly something that the emerging cabinet have a track record of, or any feasible likelihood of implementing.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
David Davis, who actually is a working-class Tory represents some Yorkshire constituency, although his accent suggests his origins are Home Counties (?). Of them, I actually quite like him.

And the one nation stuff seems blown out of the water within a few hours, by the cabinet appointments. And any substantial reincarnation of a one nation is going to involve major surgery over decades and will require taming the power of finance -- hardly something that the emerging cabinet have a track record of, or any feasible likelihood of implementing.

Born in York, grew up in a council estate in Tooting apparently.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The only appointment I'm pleased with is Amber Rudd.

I think installing David Davis as Brexit minister is another decent appointment. Personally, I trust him to negotiate properly and he's never struck me as a career politician. I think if you're going to do Brexit, you may as well do it properly and have it managed by someone who truly believes in it, and can represent the nation courteously and politely.

Which leads me onto Boris Johnson. I'm still in disbelief over this. He's a terrible, terrible politician. He's untrustworthy, he's been sacked from positions for excessive lying, he's rude, boorish, and he's managed to grossly offend the President of the only world superpower, a country we'll need now more than ever. He shouldn't be anywhere near the cabinet at this most delicate and crucial time. Well, ever, in fact.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Which leads me onto Boris Johnson. I'm still in disbelief over this. He's a terrible, terrible politician. He's untrustworthy, he's been sacked from positions for excessive lying, he's rude, boorish, and he's managed to grossly offend the President of the only world superpower, a country we'll need now more than ever. He shouldn't be anywhere near the cabinet at this most delicate and crucial time. Well, ever, in fact.

People seem to forget his lying ways.

The US are not amused.

''Robert Moore, ITV’s Washington correspondent, says the appointment of Boris Johnson as foreign secretary has gone down badly with the White House. Here’s an extract from his blog.

To put it politely, it has not gone down well. Don’t even listen to the State Department spokesman saying it is business as usual.

The President’s foreign policy team read and was deeply offended by the Boris article that talked of Barack Obama as “incoherent, inconsistent and downright hypocritical ... a part-Kenyan President.”

You can say it doesn’t much matter. President Obama has only six months left in office. But I don’t think that Mrs Clinton will view him differently.

One veteran Obama official put it this way: Brexit has diminished Britain in this town. Germany is now going to be more central to US policy in Europe. That is doubly true with the Boris appointment.''

MARVELLOUS.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Looking forward to the cut in corporation tax #allinittogether

if a cut in corporation tax could be shown to increase investment, promote growth of companies and create jobs, would you support it?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
People seem to forget his lying ways.

The US are not amused.

''Robert Moore, ITV’s Washington correspondent, says the appointment of Boris Johnson as foreign secretary has gone down badly with the White House. Here’s an extract from his blog.

To put it politely, it has not gone down well. Don’t even listen to the State Department spokesman saying it is business as usual.

The President’s foreign policy team read and was deeply offended by the Boris article that talked of Barack Obama as “incoherent, inconsistent and downright hypocritical ... a part-Kenyan President.”

You can say it doesn’t much matter. President Obama has only six months left in office. But I don’t think that Mrs Clinton will view him differently.

One veteran Obama official put it this way: Brexit has diminished Britain in this town. Germany is now going to be more central to US policy in Europe. That is doubly true with the Boris appointment.''

MARVELLOUS.

He was once fired from The Spectator for excessive lying. And of course, this is what he said about the EU in February:

“It is also true that the single market is of considerable value to many UK companies and consumers, and that leaving would cause at least some business uncertainty, while embroiling the Government for several years in a fiddly process of negotiating new arrangements, so diverting energy from the real problems of this country – low skills, low social mobility, low investment etc – that have nothing to do with Europe.”

and:

He has argued the choice is “really quite simple”: “In favour of staying, it is in Britain’s geo-strategic interests to be pretty intimately engaged in the doings of a continent that has a grim 20th-century history, and whose agonies have caused millions of Britons to lose their lives.”

He's a massive nob.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Born in York, grew up in a council estate in Tooting apparently.

And unlike any of the other appointments actually served his country, in the Special Forces if I remember correctly ?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
if a cut in corporation tax could be shown to increase investment, promote growth of companies and create jobs, would you support it?

Ah, this is the rub. If it were to do that, then all well and good, but that's not been the case. The UK suffers from appalling levels of investment, both in infrastructure and training. And all too often companies make their quarterly numbers by shedding jobs. At the same time, executive pay is rising at stratospheric levels.

Look at the failure of BHS: do you really think a low rate of corporation tax would have saved the company and employees' jobs or would it have shovelled more into off-shore tax havens?

It's where I think Ed Miliband went wrong. He made some thoughtful speeches about rewarding capitalists who did make investments into companies and hitting those who just took money out. I think he was onto something there but he didn't develop his ideas at all and they were completely forgotten in the last months of the campaign

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
"Boris negotiated in Europe, I seem to remember last time he did a deal with the Germans, he came back with three nearly-new water cannon."
Theresa May, 30th June 2016

She's got something up her sleeve. Hopefully a trap for Boris to tumble into. If we are very lucky this is her strategy to say Article 50 is not in our interest. This is going to be very interesting....this will not be as smooth and clear cut a victory as Brexiteers would have liked, that's for sure. Despite appearances, and if the trap is sprung before he buries us all, we may just save this shitfest yet. Come on May, be sneaky in the right way for once!!

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
"Boris negotiated in Europe, I seem to remember last time he did a deal with the Germans, he came back with three nearly-new water cannon."
Theresa May, 30th June 2016

She's got something up her sleeve. Hopefully a trap for Boris to tumble into. If we are very lucky this is her strategy to say Article 50 is not in our interest. This is going to be very interesting....this will not be as smooth and clear cut a victory as Brexiteers would have liked, that's for sure. Despite appearances, and if the trap is sprung before he buries us all, we may just save this shitfest yet. Come on May, be sneaky in the right way for once!!

What a strange world you inhabit!

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
What a strange world you inhabit!

We'll see. She certainly didn't appoint Boris because he's the best man for the job. She's pro- remain and she's up to something. Interesting. Very interesting.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
We'll see. She certainly didn't appoint Boris because he's the best man for the job. She's pro- remain and she's up to something. Interesting. Very interesting.

She is clearly making the statement that 'Brexit means Brexit' by appointing the Three Brexiteers to the three main brexit posts. She is not 'up to something', just doing what she said she would do.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Ah, this is the rub. If it were to do that, then all well and good, but that's not been the case. The UK suffers from appalling levels of investment, both in infrastructure and training. And all too often companies make their quarterly numbers by shedding jobs. At the same time, executive pay is rising at stratospheric levels.

Look at the failure of BHS: do you really think a low rate of corporation tax would have saved the company and employees' jobs or would it have shovelled more into off-shore tax havens?

It's where I think Ed Miliband went wrong. He made some thoughtful speeches about rewarding capitalists who did make investments into companies and hitting those who just took money out. I think he was onto something there but he didn't develop his ideas at all and they were completely forgotten in the last months of the campaign

This is precisely the right answer. Miliband had some good ideas, but never had the confidence to stick with one, and make that his pitch.
All that will really happen with that money gained from cutting corporation tax that [MENTION=599]beorhthelm[/MENTION] mentions is that the companies' boards and shareholders will squirrel it away into tax havens, and it will fail to "trickle-down" (surely one of the most discredited economic concepts/ideological obfuscations). That's not to say that investment and job creation isn't necessary; it just has to be oriented towards the long-term and the benefit of wider social groups.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here