Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Obscure" US TV choices - recommendations please

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Not sure how well known it is, and I know it's English not U.S. but "The End of the F***ing World" is good, I think it's still on Netflix.

Also +1 for Evil Genius as mentioned by [MENTION=25384]The Andy Naylor Fan Club[/MENTION]. Fascinating watch.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've just started BBC America's Killing Eve.
Certainly a good start, it has the feel of The Night Manager my only criticism so far is the music is a little too prominent and on the nose.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Have blasted through Killing Eve, primarily due to the standout performance of Jodie Comer, because of that I was able to forgive some of it's shortcomings.

I strongly recommend it, when it arrives over here, assuming you enjoy the TV far-fetchedness of life working for MI5 & 6.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I'm probably the last person in the world to watch Breaking Bad (other than some Eskimos and dwellers in the deepest Amazonian rain forest) but, just in case there's NSC-ite who hasn't checked it out yet, I think it's great.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
I'm probably the last person in the world to watch Breaking Bad (other than some Eskimos and dwellers in the deepest Amazonian rain forest) but, just in case there's NSC-ite who hasn't checked it out yet, I think it's great.

No, you're the last.

There are as yet undiscovered tribes in the Amazon who scored it 9.2 on IMDB.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
"Harrow" is pretty good , only up to episode 3 but its worth a watch. Australian series starring Ioan Gruffudd . It has 10 episodes and has been given a second series. Its a "body of the week" thing with a ongoing back story arc about the lead characters past that is enough to keep you guessing. Ive always like Gruffudd from his Hornblower series, and enjoyed most of his stuff since

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
"Harrow" is pretty good , only up to episode 3 but its worth a watch. Australian series starring Ioan Gruffudd . It has 10 episodes and has been given a second series. Its a "body of the week" thing with a ongoing back story arc about the lead characters past that is enough to keep you guessing. Ive always like Gruffudd from his Hornblower series, and enjoyed most of his stuff since

He was very good in the ITV thing a while back I thought, Liar I think it was called. And the Aussies seem to be coming up with some pretty exceptional dramas these days.

In one of my Scandi-moods a while back, I got hold of "1864", an epic tale of Denmark around that time (without doing any historical looking up I think it's their 1066) which hardly appeals does it? Well, one episode in and I'm hooked. There's a roll-call of familiar Danish actors from The Bridge (though sadly no Sofia Helin), The Killing, Borgen, etc, and I reckon if you're into that kind of sweeping dramatic civil war-esque family drama story-telling, cutting from then to now and back again, then it's a safe bet.

And if Denmark win the World Cup, you can impress your friends with (more of) your obscure knowledge :)

May 21, 2014
Portslade
Just started to watch Cobra Kai ( not sure if this has been mentioned before so apologies if so ) basically it is about how Daniel LaRusso ( The Karate Kid ) and Johnny Lawrence's ( the bully ) life's have turned out 34 years after the 1984 All Valley Karate Tournament. Watched the first two episodes and enjoyable with a few flashbacks to the original classic film, at the moment I'm feeling sorry for Johnny, be interesting to see where this goes. It's on You Tube Red. Here's the trailer

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Goliath with Billy Bob Thornton, iy' on Amazon

My pleasure.

This is fantastic. I didn't realise it was so (in the world of tv) old, and I'd never heard of it before coming across it in a The Guardian article and of course, from you, but having started it yesterday I can't stop. A real lawyery bot-boiling page-turner. Ace!

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Have blasted through Killing Eve, primarily due to the standout performance of Jodie Comer, because of that I was able to forgive some of it's shortcomings.

I strongly recommend it, when it arrives over here, assuming you enjoy the TV far-fetchedness of life working for MI5 & 6.

Killing Eve - my favourite series of the year. Highly recommended. Just started Castle Rock which looks very good.
This year my favourite channel is Amazon....my saving The Expanse!

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Finished both series of Sneaky Pete recently. Pretty good.

Now watching Deep State on Fox (yes, I know) and the latest Billions series on Sky.

Billions is definitely one of the most watchable American dramas on TV today.

Deep State is OK and fairly routine spy drama. The main reason I am watching that one is that they filmed lots of command centre, corridor, hotel and interrogation room scenes last Summer near to where I live.

Deep State pretty standard.

Billions as always keeps me riveted.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here