Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Notts Forest

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Next season a £30m fine under FFP rules anyway.
Their alien owner will be pooping in his pantelones when he realise the ignorance of his ways.
Dry cleaners for 2014.

Don't think so, they've got a "sponsorship deal" from one of their Chairman's companies which, as I understand it, neatly sidesteps the FFP rules.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Don't think so, they've got a "sponsorship deal" from one of their Chairman's companies which, as I understand it, neatly sidesteps the FFP rules.

But any club can play the "our shirt sponsor is paying us £50m a season for the privilege" card. Will make a farce of FFP if such "sidesteps" are allowed.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
But any club can play the "our shirt sponsor is paying us £50m a season for the privilege" card. Will make a farce of FFP if such "sidesteps" are allowed.

They are not. The FFP rules specifically says that connected sponsorship deals over true market value will disregarded in their calculations. We just need to hope the authorities have the balls to actually do this and let's face it they don't have a very good track record when making difficult decisions.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Isn't it a 5 sponsorship deal with all the money up front in year 1?

Maybe hoping this is a loophole which gets around the fair market value test for sponsorship.

They've turned FFP into a joke if it is.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
They are not. The FFP rules specifically says that connected sponsorship deals over true market value will disregarded in their calculations. We just need to hope the authorities have the balls to actually do this and let's face it they don't have a very good track record when making difficult decisions.

Can see a lot of court cases coming up!

Care to comment further on the Forest "sponsorship deal" gibseagull and how this neatly sidesteps this rule?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Next season a £30m fine under FFP rules anyway.
Their alien owner will be pooping in his pantelones when he realise the ignorance of his ways.
Dry cleaners for 2014.

I'm not sure it would though. He's obviously loaded so I'm not sure it would matter to him. I've said all along that for FFP to work, the penalties can't be financial, as really rich owners will just keep spending. They need to be point deductions, transfer embargoes and, in really serious cases, stopping teams from going up.

richmond

May 30, 2008
My grandad used to take me to see Forest in the late 60's. The derby matches against County are referred to as 'Forest playing Notts'. The Notts Forest is the schoolboy error that Trevor Brooking used to make...and probably still does!!

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Blimey, you must've found a bit that i didn't see in my three years of living there.

I thought it was cleaner, granted I've only been to the town centre, lace market etc for drinking but there was hardly any litter on the ground, or general rubbish piled up around bins. I liked the place. And Hooters pre match is always fun.

Gary Gurr

Nov 13, 2011
Eastbourne
I'm not sure it would though. He's obviously loaded so I'm not sure it would matter to him. I've said all along that for FFP to work, the penalties can't be financial, as really rich owners will just keep spending. They need to be point deductions, transfer embargoes and, in really serious cases, stopping teams from going up.

That will be the same sort of transfer embargo Watford were under when they signed exactly who they liked. FFP will be dead in the water once the super rich owners start reaching for their lawyers!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
A transfer embargo wont work either as they will have signed the players to get them pro moted and keep them up if they are sensible.and wont need to sign anybody else for a season.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
A transfer embargo wont work either as they will have signed the players to get them pro moted and keep them up if they are sensible.and wont need to sign anybody else for a season.

I believe if you get promoted you are only fined. However, there could be repercussions if you get relegated in your first season!!!!

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Would you believe the have been abusing their chairman on twitter for not spending enough money this January!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here