Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thinking Of Commuting To London Tomorrow ?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Just the 7 minutes late this morning, or as Southern call this: "early".

JTR938

Nov 24, 2012
Did anybody else get the 18:47 Victoria - Littlehampton/Ore train last night??
I'm sure the conductor chap was taking the piss out of Southern in his numerous announcements at Gatwick whilst being delayed waiting for a piece of paper to allow the train to stop somewhere else blah blah blah... Anyway just thought he was rather humorous in his approach...

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
I really am going to have to get my arse into gear and start claiming. It's been a shambles recently. A properly company might have struggled with the weather conditions so there was never any danger of the current train clowns coping with them properly.

I only started claiming six months ago, Reigate-London Bridge. I have about £50 of vouchers and should double that before I renew my season ticket in May. It's worth it and just makes me feel that bit better about the dodgy service. Easy enough to do online as well, Once you have found the page hidden away on Southern's website.

Just claimed for the 18:30 London Bridge-Reigate which was delayed by 55 mins last night.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I only started claiming six months ago, Reigate-London Bridge. I have about £50 of vouchers and should double that before I renew my season ticket in May. It's worth it and just makes me feel that bit better about the dodgy service. Easy enough to do online as well, Once you have found the page hidden away on Southern's website.

Just claimed for the 18:30 London Bridge-Reigate which was delayed by 55 mins last night.
Yep, I ended up on the 19:10 to Redhill after they CANCELLED the one previously bound for Redhill. I rarely bother going from Reigate these days (despite living a 7 minute walk away) because if the trains aren't late, they're full. Although I did this morning, funnily enough.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

I just renewed my season ticket, and had about £120 worth. Still barely makes a dent in £5k a year !

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
Yep, I ended up on the 19:10 to Redhill after they CANCELLED the one previously bound for Redhill. I rarely bother going from Reigate these days (despite living a 7 minute walk away) because if the trains aren't late, they're full. Although I did this morning, funnily enough.

I usually get the 0727 or the 0740. Always get a seat as long as I'm on the platform 5 minutes before the train departs, But yes Redhill gives you more options.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Late home and the Victoria line was shut this morning due to a fatality

Time of year when all those hefty credit card bill statements drop through the letter box ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I really cannot get my head around someone paying 5k for transport to work.

People who drive a reasonable distance to work probably pay the same or even more when you take into account petrol, maintenance, tax, insurance and depreciation. I personally don't think train season tickets are that bad, it's the service that's the issue.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
People who drive a reasonable distance to work probably pay the same or even more when you take into account petrol, maintenance, tax, insurance and depreciation. I personally don't think train season tickets are that bad, it's the service that's the issue.

True. But what car, say driven 50 miles to work, would cost you 5k a year? Surely it would have to be quite an expensive set of wheels so Im not sure this is a reasonable comparison? A decent 10k car would not cost you anywhere near 5k a year.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
True. But what car, say driven 50 miles to work, would cost you 5k a year? Surely it would have to be quite an expensive set of wheels so Im not sure this is a reasonable comparison? A decent 10k car would not cost you anywhere near 5k a year.

50 miles each way? In rush hour traffic it would probably cost about £5k in fuel alone.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
50 miles each way? In rush hour traffic it would probably cost about £5k in fuel alone.

Really? I have not purchased any petrol for about 7 years so I have no idea.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

According to this article, a train commute is about 18p a mile whereas a Ford Focus would cost 31p a mile.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/money/personal-finance/commuting-costs-how-much-your-1760975

I think that's misleading though, as the cost of insurance and car would be spread over more miles if you were going to run the car anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here