Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shane Duffy

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
(Couldn't find a more recent Shane Duffy thread)...

The Mail (yes, I know) are reporting that Fulham will turn the Duffy loan into a permanent move so they can free up a loan slot to bring in Cedric Soares from Arsenal on loan.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
The Duffy move being made permanent doesn’t make much sense to him as a player. He’s played 4 minutes of football for them (over 4 appearances).

You would have thought there would be a club better suited to offer him regular football.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The Duffy move being made permanent doesn’t make much sense to him as a player. He’s played 4 minutes of football for them (over 4 appearances).

You would have thought there would be a club better suited to offer him regular football.
Kind of does because it allows them to let him go out on a loan without (most likely) having to decrease his wage.
Of course, Fulham would like to send him back but Brighton doesn't want that - "nope, you agreed to take him on loan and pay his full salary for the entirety of the season and we're not going to find anyone else who does that, so he'll stay with you". Through Fulham buying him, Brighton gets rid of a player who is not wanted and difficult to sell, Fulham can decrease what they're paying (through letting some Championship club pay half or so of his wages) for him while making a loan slot available, and Duffy himself gets game time somewhere without giving up money. Fairly sensible move for everyone involved.

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
Will they have to pay a small fee now? They'd get him for free in the Summer, but why would we want to do a league rival a favour so that they can strengthen their squad now by letting him leave his contract 6 months early?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Will they have to pay a small fee now? They'd get him for free in the Summer, but why would we want to do a league rival a favour so that they can strengthen their squad now by letting him leave his contract 6 months early?
I don’t see him as strengthening any league rival. I would say he was past his best when he left and has played 4 minutes of football since. It will be better for us if he goes.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Maybe gets a small fee, maybe its just a small gesture towards Duffy so Fulham can loan him where he can get some game time.
I don’t see him as strengthening any league rival. I would say he was past his best when he left and has played 4 minutes of football since. It will be better for us if he goes.
If they sign him they can bring in another loan player who actually does strengthen them... which is what I'm guessing is what SATB is referring to.

Diallo

Jan 3, 2021
The sooner he goes the better. He never looked good enough for this division. Any player with pace destroyed Duffy. It was as if the opposition tactics were to target Duffy when we first entered the Prem. I remember the likes of Salah, Coutinho, Hazard etc absolutely destroying Duffy. He was falling over his own legs trying to read what way the runners were going. Webster has been a gigantic upgrade if not the most important of the signings we’ve made since we made it to the Prem. Weird that Fulham now want Duffy permanently?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If they sign him they can bring in another loan player who actually does strengthen them... which is what I'm guessing is what SATB is referring to.
Ah, good point. I didn’t think about this angle. It’s a bit complicated and second-guessing though. I’d still sell and focus on our business and not what rivals might potentially do.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Kind of does because it allows them to let him go out on a loan without (most likely) having to decrease his wage.
Of course, Fulham would like to send him back but Brighton doesn't want that - "nope, you agreed to take him on loan and pay his full salary for the entirety of the season and we're not going to find anyone else who does that, so he'll stay with you". Through Fulham buying him, Brighton gets rid of a player who is not wanted and difficult to sell, Fulham can decrease what they're paying (through letting some Championship club pay half or so of his wages) for him while making a loan slot available, and Duffy himself gets game time somewhere without giving up money. Fairly sensible move for everyone involved.
......or we could play hardball with a team that's trying to keep us out of a European place, and just refuse to sell.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here