Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Indietracks Festival / all things C86 and indiepop!

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
We might if you go straight back down then up again. Here's hoping, eh?

You never know - what with us being on the gravy train now. Really not sure whether this is the beginning of a new era, the beginning of the end, or a brief encounter. Still, it's nice not to know - we watch football for the uncertainty, I think, and when it goes our way for once, we take it and remember the times we've been through. Hope we retain our humility though - I'd be very disappointed if we developed a sense of entitlement.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Well, forgive me for not worrying about you too much- we still need three points to be safe I think. Been a wretched season.

For what its worth I think you're probably equipped to survive.

My Great Uncle was a turnstile operator at the Goldstone for decades, going back to the 1920s. He once moved his daughter's wedding from a Saturday afternoon to the morning so that it didn't clash with a home game. He didn't tell her until the day before. My Dad was the last of the last generation of Albion supporters in the family, but they'll always have a place in the family history, and I'll always wish them well (except when they're playing us).

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Hope your dad is loving the joyous promotion scenes and general ambience of happiness, only partially offset by the imminence of nuclear war and Tory landslide followed by hard Brexit. Can't have it all your own way, I suppose.

This made me smile.

My Dad didn't live to see the promotion- he died in February. Sod's law, after all these years. He'd have been soo happy right now. I'm trying to celebrate for him, but it's hard. I imagine a lot of you have got people who didn't make it this far..

And this not so much. Sorry for your loss Staly. Hope he went peacefully (and is no looking down on the Albion's golden moments).

Best of luck to the Shrews.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Hope he went peacefully (and is no looking down on the Albion's golden moments).

Best of luck to the Shrews.

Thank you, he did.

Luck? We need a couple of clean sheets. Have to say I couldn't think of two clubs I'd like to be relegated more than Vale and Swindon, so here's hoping that's the way it goes. Or Gillingham for that matter.

Anyway, that's rather sidetracked this thread. Here's a track from the new Slowdive album. Any good?

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Thank you, he did.

Luck? We need a couple of clean sheets. Have to say I couldn't think of two clubs I'd like to be relegated more than Vale and Swindon, so here's hoping that's the way it goes. Or Gillingham for that matter.

Anyway, that's rather sidetracked this thread. Here's a track from the new Slowdive album. Any good?

Of course it's good - it's sheer sonic poetry. Can't wait for the album and can't wait to see them at the End of the Road festival in August.

Flex Your Head

Thank you, he did.

I like it a lot. I saw them years ago supporting someone, but never really listened to them at the time. This is really good though; is it typical of the older stuff and should I go back and investigate further?

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
I like it a lot. I saw them years ago supporting someone, but never really listened to them at the time. This is really good though; is it typical of the older stuff and should I go back and investigate further?

Souvlaki is one of the records of the 90s for me, and I suspect [MENTION=12196]tinycowboy[/MENTION] agrees

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury

Souvlaki is one of the records of the 90s for me, and I suspect [MENTION=12196]tinycowboy[/MENTION] agrees

This is subtly different - less anchored in the sound of the day. They pretty much followed an arc of noisy, ethereal (1st three EPs plus disappointingly bland 1st LP) to poppy/dubby/melancholic galaxies of wispy heartbreak (2nd album) to fascinating dubby/repetitive/guitar-led ambience (3rd album). If you look at Mondrian's journey from elegant post-impressionism to the abstraction of his L'Oreal Studio Line pieces, it's a similar Slowdive journey from something like "She Calls" to "Crazy For You" - maximalist guitar whoosh to the reduction of the six note refrain of the latter, repeated over and over again. Lots of people who weren't born when Slowdive were around the first time around find their music makes them feel sad but also happy, nostalgic for something they can't put their finger on. My wife used to love Slowdive, but she can't listen to them as they make her feel too sad, the music makes you too reflective. I quite like being reflective, but I do find myself moist-eyed a bit too much when I listen. I worry I'll be a whimpering middle-aged wreck when I see them live again - just the thought of "Machine Gun" makes me want to well up. Anyway, Souvlaki is a good place to start; from early EPs - Slowdive (the song), Avalyn I or II, Morningrise, She Calls, Shine, Catch The Breeze. From Pygmalion, Rutti, Crazy For You, Blue Skied An' Clear.

Flex Your Head

This is subtly different - less anchored in the sound of the day. They pretty much followed an arc of noisy, ethereal (1st three EPs plus disappointingly bland 1st LP) to poppy/dubby/melancholic galaxies of wispy heartbreak (2nd album) to fascinating dubby/repetitive/guitar-led ambience (3rd album). If you look at Mondrian's journey from elegant post-impressionism to the abstraction of his L'Oreal Studio Line pieces, it's a similar Slowdive journey from something like "She Calls" to "Crazy For You" - maximalist guitar whoosh to the reduction of the six note refrain of the latter, repeated over and over again. Lots of people who weren't born when Slowdive were around the first time around find their music makes them feel sad but also happy, nostalgic for something they can't put their finger on. My wife used to love Slowdive, but she can't listen to them as they make her feel too sad, the music makes you too reflective. I quite like being reflective, but I do find myself moist-eyed a bit too much when I listen. I worry I'll be a whimpering middle-aged wreck when I see them live again - just the thought of "Machine Gun" makes me want to well up. Anyway, Souvlaki is a good place to start; from early EPs - Slowdive (the song), Avalyn I or II, Morningrise, She Calls, Shine, Catch The Breeze. From Pygmalion, Rutti, Crazy For You, Blue Skied An' Clear.

Blimey! Well, after that it'd be rude not to have a bit of a delve into their back catalogue. Thank you.
I loved Pale Saints and Ride and a whole slew of shoegaze, but Slowdive (and Chapterhouse) left me cold whenever I heard them. I'm finding so much stuff that I ignored back then sounds so good nowadays though...

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Blimey! Well, after that it'd be rude not to have a bit of a delve into their back catalogue. Thank you.
I loved Pale Saints and Ride and a whole slew of shoegaze, but Slowdive (and Chapterhouse) left me cold whenever I heard them. I'm finding so much stuff that I ignored back then sounds so good nowadays though...

Give it a go, although they always left some people cold.

Couldn't find the video for "Carpet" only, never mind....

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
[MENTION=12196]tinycowboy[/MENTION] Inspired by your EVANGELICAL zeal, here and in the albums thread, I'm finding myself COMPELLED to delve into a bit of Slowdive. Entirely uninitiated as I am, if I were to make one additional purchase along with the new album, would you recommend I go for Souvlaki or this one for a pound or two more, which seems to cover that album and more?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shining-Br...=UTF8&qid=1494952201&sr=8-5&keywords=slowdive

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
[MENTION=12196]tinycowboy[/MENTION] Inspired by your EVANGELICAL zeal, here and in the albums thread, I'm finding myself COMPELLED to delve into a bit of Slowdive. Entirely uninitiated as I am, if I were to make one additional purchase along with the new album, would you recommend I go for Souvlaki or this one for a pound or two more, which seems to cover that album and more?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shining-Br...=UTF8&qid=1494952201&sr=8-5&keywords=slowdive

Well, that one has most of the tracks from all three previous albums. Clearly, that's better value, but the downsides are that it could be overkill plus it strangely omits a key track from Souvlaki (When The Sun Hits) which is many people's favourite track. However, it's a fairly extensive compilation. I don't think you'll like the tracks from Pygmalion that much - they're like a guitar-based version of electronica with some elements of dub. If you want to keep it pure, go for Souvlaki; if you go for this one, be selective with the tracks or you may find it a bit "Meh" - there are some of their least interesting songs on that compilation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here