Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Qatar World Cup In Doubt?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Well who could have possible seen that coming?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

kjgood

Could I ask why the UK needs the world cup? doesnt the host country usually end up losing money on events like the world cup or olympics? Its clear that team GB is currently broke we cannot afford a multi million pound loss.

Pot calling the kettle black really. I've always thought the world should boycott Qatar and we can host it at short notice. The UK needs the World Cup more than Qatar does.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Could I ask why the UK needs the world cup? doesnt the host country usually end up losing money on events like the world cup or olympics? Its clear that team GB is currently broke we cannot afford a multi million pound loss.

When they have to invest multi-millions in stadiums and infrastructure and large-scale building projects then yes, countries end up losing money (Brazil being the most obvious case in point).

England could stage a World Cup tomorrow. But (a) FIFA hate us, and (b) there's not as many backhanders and kickbacks for the FIFA bigwigs when stadiums don't have to be built. We'll never see it on these shores again.

kjgood

Some valid points there

When they have to invest multi-millions in stadiums and infrastructure and large-scale building projects then yes, countries end up losing money (Brazil being the most obvious case in point).

England could stage a World Cup tomorrow. But (a) FIFA hate us, and (b) there's not as many backhanders and kickbacks for the FIFA bigwigs when stadiums don't have to be built. We'll never see it on these shores again.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

i believe this came up before and England and Germany have sufficient grounds up to scratch to host a world cup. US could do it if they used some non-football arenas.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
i believe this came up before and England and Germany have sufficient grounds up to scratch to host a world cup. US could do it if they used some non-football arenas.

2022 isn't Europe's "turn", so I think you can forget us and Germany. USA could certainly lay it on again, but personally I think if they do bin off Qatar (and I sincerely hope they do), I think Australia would be very capable of staging a good World Cup.

If (and I doubt it) the WC was taken away from Qatar I would actually be very surprised if we didn't get it.

We will have been proven correct that our conerns were founded. We are a safe, stable country with the ready infrstructure and great air connections to the whole world. We are the easy and correct answer.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If (and I doubt it) the WC was taken away from Qatar I would actually be very surprised if we didn't get it.

We will have been proven correct that our conerns were founded. We are a safe, stable country with the ready infrstructure and great air connections to the whole world. We are the easy and correct answer.

All true, but they won't stage 2 World Cups in a row in Europe. They haven't done that since 54 (Switzerland) and 58 (Sweden). Since then, it always goes around the continents.

All true, but they won't stage 2 World Cups in a row in Europe. They haven't done that since 54 (Switzerland) and 58 (Sweden). Since then, it always goes around the continents.

That's the norm, but we are in a position to to cover it. If Qatar do have it pulled it would be rather exceptional circumstances. Would the USA have any interest for it? And they've had it fairly recently anyhow.

I seem to recall in '86 just after the terrible Mexico Earthquake it was initially uncertain the WC could be held there and again we were mentioned as possible hosts.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
That's the norm, but we are in a position to to cover it. If Qatar do have it pulled it would be rather exceptional circumstances. Would the USA have any interest for it? And they've had it fairly recently anyhow.

I seem to recall in '86 just after the terrible Mexico Earthquake it was initially uncertain the WC could be held there and again we were mentioned as possible hosts.

It was held in Mexico as Columbia couldn't hold it

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Both USA and Australia put bids in for the 2022 World Cup, along with Japan and South Korea. Being as Japan / South Korea only staged it in 2002, I would think the natural fallback would be either USA or Australia, being as they lost out to Qatar in that disgusting carve-up in the first place. Both of those could lay on a great World Cup, but as its never been in Australia I'd hope they would be awarded it, if its taken away from Qatar.

Sadly, that decision would require an element of competence and logic from FIFA. And those are traits that simply do not exist at any level within that fetid, rancid organisation.

Both USA and Australia put bids in for the 2022 World Cup, along with Japan and South Korea. Being as Japan / South Korea only staged it in 2002, I would think the natural fallback would be either USA or Australia, being as they lost out to Qatar in that disgusting carve-up in the first place. Both of those could lay on a great World Cup, but as its never been in Australia I'd hope they would be awarded it if its taken away from Qatar.

Us, USA or Oz is way better than the current option..... Bring it on

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here