Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

B&O - good hifi or over priced tat?

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Sorry fella, but you haven't got a bloody clue what you're talking about. Pipe down.

So what do they do then?

Do they even have a single factory? Do they actually have any engineers?

I'm pretty certain the answers there are "no" and "no".

Rebadging premium kit does not stop you being a rebadger. You've already admitted they're not worth the cost premium.

I was in engineering for a radio station for some years so its not as if I've zero knowledge of how audio electronics work; but I do have severe exposure to charlatans trying to claim they actually have some input in the rebadge they sell, as well as lunatics claiming their brand of CAT5/USB/HDMI cable is "better" than another. A rebadge is a rebadge.

The answer to the question in the title is that they're good, they're over-priced and they're not tat. But you can get the same or better for a hell of a lot cheaper.

Last edited:

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Do they even have a single factory? : Three. One in Struer, Denmark - one in Koprivnice, Czech Republic - plus one in China for the Play product range. They employ around 3,000 people.

Do they actually have any engineers? Yes. Hundreds.

I'm pretty certain the answers there are "no" and "no". : Yes, and Yes.

Rebadging premium kit does not stop you being a rebadger. You've already admitted they're not worth the cost premium. : You can get the same performance or sometimes more from other products, sure. What you don't get is the premium materials used (they are world leaders in anodised aluminium and make parts for BMW, Audi and Aston Martin) and also the design.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
It was when Jeeves said the cellar was clean out of Krug that really ruined the last visit for me.

You must be thinking of someone else you visited; I'm never out of Krug.

Edit: I'm firing James.

Last edited:

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Another vote for Linn, was the best system I ever had.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Bowers and Wilkins

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Rogers are great monitors. The BBC can't be that wrong!

Are you looking to stream or play local sources? (vinyl, CD etc)

Rogers...wow didn't know they were still going ..had a Rogers amp in the late 70's along with a rega plannar(?)2 deck....couldnt afford the linn sondek back then

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Another vote for Linn, was the best system I ever had.

I'm looking to get a new system. Turntable wise I have my eye on a ClearAudio Concept. Seems to be a robust all round deck.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Voice controlled digital surround sound for the ensuite guest bathroom in the west wing, I think he said.
It's good that he wants such a hands on approach, many in his position just want the servants to do it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm after excellent sound quality in 2 rooms. Figured I'd get 2 different systems, as I thought I'd lose quality if I piped music from one source.
With one source it depends how your sending the signal - if it's over speaker wired from a power amp then there are obstacles, but if it's a digital source and you have a DAC and Amp in each room, it should be fine.

I'd start with what you want to be able to do from a convenience (or tactile, in the case of your LP12) point of view.
Do you want each system connected to the internet for something like spotify?
Do you want a vinyl collection in one room and something else in the other?

Typically have used Rogers monitors.
Does he need them back? Sorry - are they active (have their own power)?
Amps have been a mix of Arcam and Cyrus.
Nice enough. I've had Arcam amps which have been good. Up until recently my favourite ever amps were from Exposure, a local company from Portslade (I still have one amp from them). My new favourite is a Chinese company called Audio-GD.

I have an LP12 in my study. Excellent bit of kit.
Nice, I bought one in '88, sold it a few years ago.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

"Apropos......well, it's Latin. I'd think....err..I'd think to work at Curry's you'd need a basic grasp of Latin....no, ok......incidentally what time do you knock off?"

All from memory so almost certainly all wrong...

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
"Apropos......well, it's Latin. I'd think....err..I'd think to work at Curry's you'd need a basic grasp of Latin....no, ok......incidentally what time do you knock off?"

All from memory so almost certainly all wrong...

Spot on, textbook Partridge.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here