Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I wonder what would happen to the riders if the licence was to be withdrawn. Would Nibali be free to sign for another team? I'm sure as reigning TdF champion, he'll have several willing suitors.
They'd be unemployed. Harsh on the clean riders and staff.

Nibali could sign but where would he go. WT teams have a maximum number of permitted riders and are already set for the season. He certainly wouldn't get the kind of support he needs for the tour.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
It is a bit weird the UCI 'requesting' the removal of Astana's licence. Who is in charge of cycling? The UCI. Who appoints the Licence commission? Presumably the UCI, I can't actually find any information on this apart from who is on the licence commission, the source is the UCI web site.

Incidentally all four members of the Licence commission are Swiss, the team awarded World Tour status this year? IAM Cycling, based in Switzerland. I'm sure nothing suspicious went on but it just does not look good, does it? They really shoot themselves in the foot some times don't they.

Back to Astana, as others have said I'm really not sure how it has taken this long to conclude that Astana are systematic dopers. That has been obvious for a long long time now. As for Nibali he will definitely have a release clause in his contract, this might damage his image but it is guaranteed he will be at the TdF. Could be an interesting bun fight for his signature if this does all come to pass.
They made the licencing commission semi-autonomous after the katusha debacle.

IAM were sort of railroaded into the world tour as we're MTN. They didn't have enough teams as it was too expensive.

In terms of nibali at the tour, I really struggle to see who will take him.

BMC? - big smack in the teeth for TVG and pride in being clean
Sky - froome
Saxo - contador
IAM - at a push
EQS - no room
One of the lotto? - doubt they've got the money/resources
Giant - not a go team
Garmin - can't see it with the tainted reputation

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
That looks amazing [MENTION=1677]East Staffs Gull[/MENTION] ... although why would you want to upgrade from a Triban 5... it has been scientifically proven that B'Twin riders are sexier.

Its a fact.

Seriously, if I had the money right now, I would be seriously considering that.

It goes without saying that I'd have to respray any replacement and put some Triban transfers on it.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Maybe Nibali's best course of action would be to do a Wiggins - get onto Wiggle, buy himself a track bike and spend the next year trying to gain the necessary qualification points for a shot at the team/individual pursuit in the Rio Olympics.

Not that Nibali has the track experience of Wiggins, but it is probably what I would do if no team was interested.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Someone will take him, if Cav fails to do the business again early season, Quickstep will take him. IAM without a shadow of doubt would take him. Lampre would as well. Trek would as would Cofidis if they could find the money.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What do the geeks make of this deal from Planet X?

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXRT58ULT6800/planet-x-rt-58-ultegra-composite-road-bike

It's their Carbon RT-58 with Ultegra 6800 gears. £799 seems a bargain. I almost wonder if there's a catch. I'm looking to upgrade from a Triban 5. Would I notice a great deal of difference with this one, or would I be better off with a bigger upgrade? I'm a late middle-aged recreational cyclist and get out on my bike 2-3 days a week in the summer, totalling 75-100 miles a week.
That may well be the bike [MENTION=1320]Notters[/MENTION] bought a few months ago.
I'm sure he'll be along with some advise for you.

As for Nibali.
If he didn't know this pooh storm was coming his way 6 months ago, I'm a bit gutted I didn't pop round his house and sell him some magic beans.
When the first case hit, that was never going to be a 'one off end of' situation.

Having Vino in the crosshairs was to big a target to let wriggle away.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
That may well be the bike [MENTION=1320]Notters[/MENTION] bought a few months ago.
I'm sure he'll be along with some advise for you.

As for Nibali.
If he didn't know this pooh storm was coming his way 6 months ago, I'm a bit gutted I didn't pop round his house and sell him some magic beans.
When the first case hit, that was never going to be a 'one off end of' situation.

Having Vino in the crosshairs was to big a target to let wriggle away.

Not quite, mine's a pro-carbon SRAM-Rival. But it was the same price.

It's bloody amazing [MENTION=1677]East Staffs Gull[/MENTION]. There's no catch. Fill your boots. I got it through cycle to work too, so around £525!

I've known people spend three times as much on worse bikes.

Edit: This is mine http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXSLPRIV22/planet-x-pro-carbon-sram-rival-22-road-bike

Ultegra is probably technically a little better still.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Maybe Nibali's best course of action would be to do a Wiggins - get onto Wiggle, buy himself a track bike and spend the next year trying to gain the necessary qualification points for a shot at the team/individual pursuit in the Rio Olympics.

Not that Nibali has the track experience of Wiggins, but it is probably what I would do if no team was interested.
Nibali would get nowhere on the track. Wiggins will struggle.
Someone will take him, if Cav fails to do the business again early season, Quickstep will take him. IAM without a shadow of doubt would take him. Lampre would as well. Trek would as would Cofidis if they could find the money.
I thought IAM were the likeliest but I'd forgotten about trek and lampre are Italian!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Classics season officially opens this weekend then :) - Omloop tomorrow and Kuurne-Brussel-Kuurne on Sunday.

As ever, there's any number of contenders for these. I'm tempted to give the Belgian favourites a swerve, ignore Kristoff and take a couple of outsider Frenchies at 40/1 each instead for Omloop. Anyone else having a little wager or watching either of these races?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Classics season officially opens this weekend then :) - Omloop tomorrow and Kuurne-Brussel-Kuurne on Sunday.

As ever, there's any number of contenders for these. I'm tempted to give the Belgian favourites a swerve, ignore Kristoff and take a couple of outsider Frenchies at 40/1 each instead for Omloop. Anyone else having a little wager or watching either of these races?
:clap:

Trentin massively jumped out of the Skybet odds at 40/1 for Omloop.
I'd take him over any of your Frenchies.
Leading QuickStep in a post Boonen era will be a massive payday for the QS rider that nails this spring.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
:clap:

Trentin massively jumped out of the Skybet odds at 40/1 for Omloop.
I'd take him over any of your Frenchies.
Leading QuickStep in a post Boonen era will be a massive payday for the QS rider that nails this spring.

Hmmm, that's a bit left field for you SB, especially considering your mate Stybar is in the team as well. It'll be interesting to see how well Trentin has recovered from his crash and resultant DNF in Oman. The steppers have an embarrassment of riches here again though, and I suppose someone lower down the pecking order like Trentin could be a good plan C for them.

I've had a rubbish start to the season, not picking up a single win yet, despite coming close a few times. I just have a little feeling for Chavanel tomorrow and also Demare is going well and is due a good classics finish. You'd put the latter down for Sunday instead but apparently he's not riding K-B-K, so something could be a foot. I'm just going a £1 e/w on both on my lucky 40/1 odds to cover a couple of bases and have a couple of tickets in what will be, as ever, a lottery anyway.

I'm tempted to offer my support for young Sam Bennett on Sunday - currently at 50/1.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hmmm, that's a bit left field for you SB, especially considering your mate Stybar is in the team as well. It'll be interesting to see how well Trentin has recovered from his crash and resultant DNF in Oman. The steppers have an embarrassment of riches here again though, and I suppose someone lower down the pecking order like Trentin could be a good plan C for them.

I've had a rubbish start to the season, not picking up a single win yet, despite coming close a few times. I just have a little feeling for Chavanel tomorrow and also Demare is going well and is due a good classics finish. You'd put the latter down for Sunday instead but apparently he's not riding K-B-K, so something could be a foot. I'm just going a £1 e/w on both on my lucky 40/1 odds to cover a couple of bases and have a couple of tickets in what will be, as ever, a lottery anyway.

I'm tempted to offer my support for young Sam Bennett on Sunday - currently at 50/1.

Bugger I didn't do any due diligence and didn't know he had a off.

My logic is Boonen and Stybar will be working backwards, they NEED Flanders and Roubaix.
But the team has to be going well, Trentin and the other Belgiumist who's name escapes me, are plenty smart enough to piggyback
the big boys then go off and win.
My only drawback (at the time) was if his season is geared more towards Grand Tour stage wins, so hasn't done the practise miles.

Nevertheless Trentin riding for QS isn't a 40/1 rider, over Chavanel, yes please.
Trentin over Demare less confident.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

My logic is Boonen and Stybar will be working backwards, they NEED Flanders and Roubaix.
But the team has to be going well, Trentin and the other Belgiumist who's name escapes me, are plenty smart enough to piggyback the big boys then go off and win.
My only drawback (at the time) was if his season is geared more towards Grand Tour stage wins, so hasn't done the practise miles.

Nevertheless Trentin riding for QS isn't a 40/1 rider, over Chavanel, yes please.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

But the team has to be going well, Trentin and the other Belgiumist who's name escapes me, are plenty smart enough to piggyback the big boys then go off and win.

I doubt a Qatar DNF counts for much to be honest. We're also talking cyclists not footballers who need a month to regain 'match fitness' after losing a stud in training.

Anywhere, here's some steppers fanboy footage to be going on with:

It's difficult to know whether the big guns will be warming up here for the monuments or keen to get a win in the bag. Certainly Boonen hasn't won Oomloop, so he might be keen to add it to his glittering palmares before it's too late. Should be all in for Cav tomorrow too, so Boonen could well take this today.

I'm liking the sound of tail wind home finish, should suit Chava heroics off the front a treat :wink:
Alternatively, decent weather ruling out the hard men like Stan last year and carrying sprinters to the fore...step up Arnaud Demare :)
Remember, neither are racing tomorrow, so can leave everything on the road today too.

At any rate, I'm hoping for a repeat of last years weekend of racing. That pic of Stan almost falling over the line in semi darkness ahead of a spent GVA is 'classic' in every respect, and the steppers action at K-B-K getting what I think was about 5 riders in a 10 man break and blowing the race apart was a real treat to watch too. More of that sort of action and 3pts for the Albion and it'll be a good weekend all round. Any betting wins will just be a nice added bonus.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Bit of coverage on Eurospurt tomorrow, but none today.

Anyone got any pocket sized map supplier recommendations?

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
What I want probably won't exist. An A4-folded-into-3 sized book that'll slip into a pocket. Don't want something that'll turn into a broadsheet.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Bit of coverage on Eurospurt tomorrow, but none today.

Anyone got any pocket sized map supplier recommendations?

Sporza have it from 1.30 I think.

I'm sad enough to follow any live tickers I can find in the meantime too. Stuck indoors due to the rain anyway, well that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here