Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] **Royal Wedding Official Thread**

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
I am no royalist but I think I'm with [MENTION=14365]Thunder Bolt[/MENTION] on this. I'd rather have a non-elected minor herditary royal who earns a small living and does a few good turns, than elected cockwasel like Trump with full presidential powers.

There are other models, not just the American one. People always say "Would you have wanted President Thatcher or President Blair?" No of course not, but that misses the point. They would have stayed as PMs serving under, oh I dunno, President Bobby Charlton. Someone with limited but genuine constitutional powers given legitimacy by the fact they were elected to the role, not born to it.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I am no royalist but I think I'm with [MENTION=14365]Thunder Bolt[/MENTION] on this. I'd rather have a non-elected minor herditary royal who earns a small living and does a few good turns, than elected cockwasel like Trump with full presidential powers.

Stupid comment, because you clearly ARE a Royalist so why say you're not?

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
There are other models, not just the American one. People always say "Would you have wanted President Thatcher or President Blair?" No of course not, but that misses the point. They would have stayed as PMs serving under, oh I dunno, President Bobby Charlton. Someone with limited but genuine constitutional powers given legitimacy by the fact they were elected to the role, not born to it.

Precisely

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
So that makes everything they do right, and everything Prince Charles does wrong? I believe that at various times Hitler, Mugabe and Putin have been democratically elected too.......
It's funny, you're quick enough to bandy around the concept of democracy on the Brexit thread.

Or perhaps May should just ignore the referendum result because she personally believes she is right over the EU and the majority was wrong?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It's funny, you're quick enough to bandy around the concept of democracy on the Brexit thread.

Or perhaps May should just ignore the referendum result because she personally believes she is right over the EU and the majority was wrong?
No. Just no to your whole post.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Stupid comment, because you clearly ARE a Royalist so why say you're not?

Because I'm not. I was responding to the stupid comment that appeared to suggest that an elected Trump as president is preferable to a non-elected minor Royal who plays no role in legislation. I am neutral on the royals. They probably earn the nation more than thy cost us, and even though Big Ears tries to influence government, he only got away with it when tories (and Blair) fawned at him, and they stopped doing that along time ago. That does not make me a royalist. I am neutral about hobnobs, but that dosn't make me a fat-biscuit-binger(ist). :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Quote Originally Posted by GT49er View Post

"Of course. That'll be because that doesn't suit your poorly considered argument, that somehow it's ok for you to pick and choose when democracy applies."

Looks like 'red' Simster has got the wrong end of several sticks this afternoon :shrug:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
The famous one in my field of work is the £1 billion dollar deal between Norway and Indonesia to prevent destruction of forests and protect and restore tropical peatlands in Borneo and Sumatra (which are the largest store of terrestrial carbon and critical in the fight to prevent climate change). This deal was brokered by Prince Charles at a dinner he hosted for the Prime Minister of Norway and the President of Indonesia.

The Queen and David Attenborough teamed with 53 countries of the Commonwealth, to create a network of protected forests, which includes Angelina Jolie planting trees in the Namibian desert.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The wedding of the beautiful HRH Princess Eugenie to Jack Brooksbank who famously met and fell in love in a ski lodge in Switzerland :clap:

Of course they met in a ski lodge. In the last 30 years has there been a week when Fergie and her offspring have NOT been on holiday skiing? Eugenie was probably born with skis already attached.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Of course. That'll be because that doesn't suit your poorly considered argument, that somehow it's ok for you to pick and choose when democracy applies.
Still talking bollox, I'm afraid - you are obviously so obsessed with dissing Brexit that you, to suit your own agenda, try to force it into any discussion. Nobody else has been desperate enough to try and get a Brexit angle on to this thread. Your problem, not mine, and nothing to do with my point - the fact that some democratically elected leaders have turned out to be shit.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Quote Originally Posted by GT49er View Post

"Of course. That'll be because that doesn't suit your poorly considered argument, that somehow it's ok for you to pick and choose when democracy applies."

Looks like 'red' Simster has got the wrong end of several sticks this afternoon :shrug:

Er, I'm a liberal British republican - I'm not red. You could always pop me on ignore if you struggle with that - after all, it's a facility you've not used for over 5 minutes now.

As for GT49er and his views, it simply amuses me that his argument for keeping royalty (that un-elected people can be right too you know) is all fine on his terms, but oddly enough he wouldn't be quite so tolerant of an undemocratic PM who chooses to ignore the Brexit referendum result.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
She works in an art gallery. She also supports several charities.

Ah yes, working in an art gallery, the TEXTBOOK definition of a job a rich person gets because they have f**k all skills to offer the World and Daddy knows the owner.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Described on 6Music this morning as:-

"9th in line to the throne, non-working Royal Princess Eugenie..."

That's incredibly harsh. Nobody works harder at their skiiing than Eugenie.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

What would be the point of electing someone with no powers?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Ah yes, working in an art gallery, the TEXTBOOK definition of a job a rich person gets because they have f**k all skills to offer the World and Daddy knows the owner.

I did chuckle at that when she posted it, and of course your perfectly correct answer. I wonder what she'll do next? A cleaner? A saleswoman? Perhaps even a role in human resources at a blue chip multinational?

But you know, as much as I'm sure she'd love one of those roles, I reckon she'll work at a THEATRE where she her job title will be remarkably vague. And I guess it might be a theatre where one of her family is patron. Just a wild guess.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Er, I'm a liberal British republican - I'm not red. You could always pop me on ignore if you struggle with that - after all, it's a facility you've not used for over 5 minutes now.

As for GT49er and his views, it simply amuses me that his argument for keeping royalty (that un-elected people can be right too you know) is all fine on his terms, but oddly enough he wouldn't be quite so tolerant of an undemocratic PM who chooses to ignore the Brexit referendum result.

I have always thought you an intersting poster and I have never had any reason to put you on ignore. You comments on this thread are needlessly peevish. I really don't think what I posted was remotely stupid. Ditto [MENTION=12935]GT49er[/MENTION], a poster with whom I share numerous disagreements as well as agreements, without rancour as far as I am aware. I think you might feel less irritable after you've showered away whatever metaphorical sand it is that has lodged itself in your crevice

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Because I'm not. I was responding to the stupid comment that appeared to suggest that an elected Trump as president is preferable to a non-elected minor Royal who plays no role in legislation. I am neutral on the royals. They probably earn the nation more than thy cost us, and even though Big Ears tries to influence government, he only got away with it when tories (and Blair) fawned at him, and they stopped doing that along time ago. That does not make me a royalist. I am neutral about hobnobs, but that dosn't make me a fat-biscuit-binger(ist). :shrug:

What happens if little George turns out to be a racist narcissist? Would you have liked a vote then?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I have always thought you an intersting poster and I have never had any reason to put you on ignore. You comments on this thread are needlessly peevish. I really don't think what I posted was remotely stupid. Ditto [MENTION=12935]GT49er[/MENTION], a poster with whom I share numerous disagreements as well as agreements, without rancour as far as I am aware. I think you might feel less irritable after you've showered away whatever metaphorical sand it is that has lodged itself in your crevice

How would you describe this then?

"looks like 'red' Simster has got the wrong end of several sticks this afternoon"

When clearly I haven't got the wrong end of any stick. It's just you don't happen to agree with me.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here