Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] How Long Before Jazz clapping is enforced at Football grounds (PC gone mad (again?))

Lewes Punk

Feb 11, 2018
There was a discussion about this on R5 earlier. The key word in the statement is "inclusive". It has nothing to do with political correctness. Many people, including autistic people, hate loud unexpected noises and will avoid attending events where that can happen. This is a way to try and get them to be feel more included in student union life so perhaps now they will be more likely to attend certain events and get more involved, which can only be a good thing.

As the father of an autistic child who couldn't attend his own presentation ceremony at the end of a college course because it was too noisy, I say good for them.

Don't entirely agree. My son is also autistic and when I took him to a game at the Amex, when we scored, we obviously all leapt to our feet, clapped, whooped and hollered. He was in his seat with his hands pressed over his ears at the sudden noise.

So if I take him to a game again, I'll make sure he wants to do it and is ready for it.

But clearly I wouldn't expect everyone else at the Amex to refrain from clapping to make him feel included. I don't see why events at a university should either. Although I do think they might be able to arrange, for example, autism-friendly graduation ceremonies. Like cinemas and shops now have autism-friendly screenings and opening sessions.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Silly bollocks students with piss all else to worry about.

Once they get jobs and a mortgage they'll realise what cocks they were.

What are they going to say when introducing someone then? "I'd like you to all put your hands together for... oh... sorry... I'd like to to keep your hands apart and waggle them for our special guest... "

Dicks.
Sadly they're a pampered breed that seem to think they know it all apart from paying bills and having life experience.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
How Long Before Jazz clamping is enforced at Football grounds (PC gone mad (again?))

Don't entirely agree. My son is also autistic and when I took him to a game at the Amex, when we scored, we obviously all leapt to our feet, clapped, whooped and hollered. He was in his seat with his hands pressed over his ears at the sudden noise.

So if I take him to a game again, I'll make sure he wants to do it and is ready for it.

But clearly I wouldn't expect everyone else at the Amex to refrain from clapping to make him feel included. I don't see why events at a university should either. Although I do think they might be able to arrange, for example, autism-friendly graduation ceremonies. Like cinemas and shops now have autism-friendly screenings and opening sessions.

Well exactly. Stopping everyone else behaving perfectly normally to suit one person isn’t inclusive, it’s running away from the problem and excluding the vast majority. Two things I thought a University education would stop you from doing.

Ear defenders? The autistic girl in my daughter’s class has them all the time and they solve 90% of the issues at source.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
View attachment 100993

PC gone mad or long overdue

For goodness' sake :fishing:

Yes, yes, students, a bit thick, especially at the 'lesser' universities. :facepalm:

Perhaps My Bloody Valentine should play unplugged in case it upsets nervous gig goers. And perhaps the entire business at the tory party conference should be conducted by signing. Oo look, its Boris :wanker:

Last edited:

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Student union? Kids the lot of 'em.
I was brought up with the understanding that kids should be seen and not heard....... meh, I really can't be bothered discussing this, but it was going to be a really funny witticism

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

It is quite a leap by the OP that banning clapping at "democratic events" such as debates to try to include those in these events that would otherwise not attend, would automatically lead to banning clapping at football matches.

Quiet zones are the answer at sporting events I would have thought - a sound proofed area where those with sensory issues could go to watch the game if they wanted to. There are several examples in the US I believe.

Lewes Punk

Feb 11, 2018
It is quite a leap by the OP that banning clapping at "democratic events" such as debates to try to include those in these events that would otherwise not attend, would automatically lead to banning clapping at football matches.

Quiet zones are the answer at sporting events I would have thought - a sound proofed area where those with sensory issues could go to watch the game if they wanted to. There are several examples in the US I believe.

No, I realise there's no intention to spread this ban to football games. The point I was trying to make is whether one person should expect hundreds or thousands of others to vary their behaviour to be inclusive.

As we've both said, there are ways, of making alternative provision for those who find loud noise distressing which don't rely on the neurotypical majority stopping what comes naturally.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
There was a discussion about this on R5 earlier. The key word in the statement is "inclusive". It has nothing to do with political correctness. Many people, including autistic people, hate loud unexpected noises and will avoid attending events where that can happen. This is a way to try and get them to be feel more included in student union life so perhaps now they will be more likely to attend certain events and get more involved, which can only be a good thing.

As the father of an autistic child who couldn't attend his own presentation ceremony at the end of a college course because it was too noisy, I say good for them.

I always wonder at the usual suspects who jump on threads like this "PC gone mad" etc.

If this is a problem for some people then its no skin off my nose to modify my behaviour to help them out. If I'm not willing to do that then I'd be a bit of a selfish ****.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I always wonder at the usual suspects who jump on threads like this "PC gone mad" etc.

If this is a problem for some people then its no skin off my nose to modify my behaviour to help them out. If I'm not willing to do that then I'd be a bit of a selfish ****.

What’s selfish is expecting everyone else to fit round *you*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

You obviously will have far greater knowledge than most of us on this subject so this is just an observation. In my son's primary school class they had an autistic lad who really struggled with the same type of situations.

So that he could be involved in school plays, assemblies, and lessons where there might be something he found hard to cope with, he wore ear protectors. If he still found it too much then a TA would take him out of the situation for a bit and talk to him about it.

It worked really well and the lad went from being quite separate from the rest of the class in the first few years to being just another kid by Y6. The other kids had all learnt to respect the fact that he was different in some ways but that he was just the same as them in most.

He's now gone to a normal secondary school and is doing fine there too.

Nobody had to stop acting normally to make him included is what I'm trying to say.

el punal

Sadly they're a pampered breed that seem to think they know it all apart from paying bills and having life experience.

That’s a hell of a generalisation. Both our daughters went to university, both did part time jobs to earn money to survive and live life a teeny bit. Both paid the bills when they had to. Both knuckled down to to do the academic work required to earn their degrees. We, as parents, could not afford to let them lead the pampered lives that you imply. They understood that they were privileged to be able to go and pursue their goals via a university education and have always been grateful for it. There are thousands of students, like our daughters, who have gone down the same path. Do not belittle them or tar them with the same brush that you are using on the fruit loops at Manchester University, whom, by the way, fully deserve your scathing comments.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
That’s a hell of a generalisation. Both our daughters went to university, both did part time jobs to earn money to survive and live life a teeny bit. Both paid the bills when they had to. Both knuckled down to to do the academic work required to earn their degrees. We, as parents, could not afford to let them lead the pampered lives that you imply. They understood that they were privileged to be able to go and pursue their goals via a university education and have always been grateful for it. There are thousands of students, like our daughters, who have gone down the same path. Do not belittle them or tar them with the same brush that you are using on the fruit loops at Manchester University, whom, by the way, fully deserve your scathing comments.
Don't rise to the troll.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here