Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Radio 5 Live

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Radio 2 from morning to jeremy vine who annoys the sh1t out of me......then steve wright

Or I get annoyed and put Apple Music on and listen to their daily play lists..

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I too get fed up with the trails for what's coming up each month/weekend/day, unfortunately this is done in the form of either fuzzy backdated screaming of the last F1 race or by general screaming about a horse/goal/try like it's never been bettered. It should be remembered though that this is pretty clever as a cheap way to fill airtime when you don't really have much to talk about.

My late mother used to always watch the likes of The Alan Titchmarsh Show or The Paul O'Grady Show and if ever I visited her it was apparent that much of the programmes content revolved around the host telling the studio audience ( to much screaming ) what was coming up later in the show, after the break etc etc. Many other shows do this to a lesser or greater extent and it's not unknown to be told what's coming up " After the Break " and then have it repeated pretty much word for word 3 minutes later.

You've been watching Sky Sports News then!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No longer keen on their afternoon show 1/4pm..but I think I’ve wandered outside their target audience...sigh

This. A bit too yoofy for me, even though the presenter is in his mid fortys, and otherwise pleasant (if sounding a little too much like Gary Crowley for my liking).

I still love Nicky Campbell though, and how he has the patience to deal with the cockwombles on the phone ins is beyond me, but he is brilliant at taking the piss in such a way that only the intended listener gets it while the nobber is blissfully unaware and thus not offended.

And I still love the film review (Mark Commode, as I fondly think of him).

But the football is completely unbeatable. I still love Alan Green although he isn't on so much these days. The other commentators and pundits are also great.

My only qualm is that I like to be reminded of all the betting opportunities when I'm enjoying sport, and R5 doesn't have any betting adverts. Listening to R5 you'd think that football was a sport rather than a betting opportunity. ****ing weirdos. :shrug:

:rolleyes:

:facepalm:

:shootself

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I listen to Up All Night between 4:30am and 5 on my drive to work and is usually very interesting (other than when they have the Formula 1 podcast on). Enjoy the breakfast show too. The afternoon bloke is dreadful.

Rod Sharpe or Alex Lester ?
2004/20010 early start for me.these guys knew their stuff.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This. A bit too yoofy for me, even though the presenter is in his mid fortys, and otherwise pleasant (if sounding a little too much like Gary Crowley for my liking).

I still love Nicky Campbell though, and how he has the patience to deal with the cockwombles on the phone ins is beyond me, but he is brilliant at taking the piss in such a way that only the intended listener gets it while the nobber is blissfully unaware and thus not offended.

And I still love the film review (Mark Commode, as I fondly think of him).

But the football is completely unbeatable. I still love Alan Green although he isn't on so much these days. The other commentators and pundits are also great.

My only qualm is that I like to be reminded of all the betting opportunities when I'm enjoying sport, and R5 doesn't have any betting adverts. Listening to R5 you'd think that football was a sport rather than a betting opportunity. ****ing weirdos. :shrug:

:rolleyes:

:facepalm:

:shootself

Campbell’s ‘Your call’ slot from 9 til 10 is often great. Expertedly refeering obnoxious old gits who always seem to come from Yorkshire, in shouting matches with know-it-alls from the home counties. Everyone gets their fair say, rather than a token sentence before the presenter dominates with his view (TalkShite).

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Campbell’s ‘Your call’ slot from 9 til 10 is often great. Expertedly refeering obnoxious old gits who always seem to come from Yorkshire, in shouting matches with know-it-alls from the home counties. Everyone gets their fair say, rather than a token sentence before the presenter dominates with his view (TalkShite).
Classic on Your Call last week was a seemingly mild mannered caller, at first, who predicted Civil War in 2-3 years time due to not Brexiting hard enough....he then postulated that the MP's that had allowed this " be taken out and shot..., as that is what you do with traitors in wartime "

Nicky just let out a barely audible sigh and moved swiftly on!

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
5live used to be my station of choice but that's long gone. The debates are always set up with 'Daz, an EDL supporter from Luton along with Serena, a vegetarian Muslim talking about social integration' designed to end in a binfest. It's lazy, it's often badly produced and it doesn't really know what it wants to be as a station anymore. Radio is hard work :

Radio 1 : Too Young
Radio 2 : Too old
Radio 3 : Too classical
Radio 4 : Too dry
Radio 5 : Too Brexit
Absolute : Too repetitive play list
Xfm : Chris Moyle's
Talksport : 'taking a call from Frank in his white van'

Anyone recommend any podcasts?

seaford

Feb 8, 2007
The best show on 5 Live is the Kermode and Mayo film show on a Friday

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
You have to ask why does Nihal ask so many rhetorical questions? Turn off.

Shelagh Fogerty was good as well (as long as the topic was not Liverpool) and going further back Fi Glover was great.

She's on LBC, 1-4pm, before Eddie Mair.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
5live used to be my station of choice but that's long gone. The debates are always set up with 'Daz, an EDL supporter from Luton along with Serena, a vegetarian Muslim talking about social integration' designed to end in a binfest. It's lazy, it's often badly produced and it doesn't really know what it wants to be as a station anymore. Radio is hard work :

Radio 1 : Too Young
Radio 2 : Too old
Radio 3 : Too classical
Radio 4 : Too dry
Radio 5 : Too Brexit
Absolute : Too repetitive play list
Xfm : Chris Moyle's
Talksport : 'taking a call from Frank in his white van'

Anyone recommend any podcasts?

BG can point you in the direction of some good afternoon telly,

Apparently.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Regarding ads, have you noticed how many BBC programmes are "turned into" news items on the BBC News just to give them a plug - Panorama topics spring to mind.
I agree, but I guess they’re just trying to follow the Murdoch group e.g. the Times and Sun promoting Sky TV shows.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The best show on 5 Live is the Kermode and Mayo film show on a Friday

I like Kermode because no matter how bad a film is he tries to find something good about it. It's constructive criticism rather than just slagging it off

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here