Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Citeh past encounters...

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I've only seen us play them once, and that was when we knocked them out of the League Cup at Withdean three days after losing to the nine men of Walsall.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I think our last home game at the Goldstone in the top flight was against City.

Saw the 89 match at the Goldstone, which was a terrific game.
We won 2-1 with our goals coming from a retaken Curbishley pen and an Ian Brightwell og. Also we had the Keith Cuss incident, and unbeknownst to us, Liam and Noel Gallagher were in the away end with their yellow inflatable bananas.

And of course the above game mentioned by [MENTION=4675]Frutos[/MENTION]

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I missed the Withdean one, but was there for the Keith Cuss one, and for the 4-0 FA Cup win in 83, that cost John Bond his job.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Someone please find THE thread for the League Cup game.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I was there for our 4-1 win at the Goldstone on 29th December 1979.
Great goal from Gerry Ryan.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
I got speared by a female steward while I was trying to invade the pitch following the penalty shootout win at Withdean. Crazy bitch.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
I've only seen us play them once, and that was when we knocked them out of the League Cup at Withdean three days after losing to the nine men of Walsall.
Does anyone still have the video of the pitch invasion, including some bloke in a motorised wheelchair being chased by stweards?

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Was the last league encounter the one where the 'ball boy' (Who was about 50 at the time) back headed the ball into the south stand? Me and my pals were in there and found that hysterically funny at the time. Think the poor sod got the sack for it though...

83 I think?

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Was the last league encounter the one where the 'ball boy' (Who was about 50 at the time) back headed the ball into the south stand? Me and my pals were in there and found that hysterically funny at the time. Think the poor sod got the sack for it though...

83 I think?

See above Keith Cuss reference. And yes he got sacked! In my minds eye though I thought it was into the West Stand? And I think it was April 89

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
See above Keith Cuss reference. And yes he got sacked! In my minds eye though I thought it was into the West Stand? And I think it was April 89
Definitely the West Stand, just to the north of the players tunnel. I used to like standing on the north west terrace wall and it happened just down from me. The City players weren't best pleased, but Keith Cuss became a legend that day!

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
I was stood on the West Terrace North that day when Cuss did the back header into the crowd. Perfect view from 5 yards away.

Happy with the result. I cannot however condone (snigger) the appalling lack of (snort) professionalism from the (chuckle) senior ball boy.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I also remember the one in the first division when we were one up, Man City had a player sent off - and then Dennis Tueart scored twice in the last few minutes. But I prefer the Gerry Ryan memory.....

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
One of my all-time favourite Albion moments was watching us play Man City at Withdean with my 9 year old son. He'd been going regularly with me for 4 years and his usual experience was often dire football in a half-empty Withdean with occasional crumbs of victory such as the 8-0 Northwich Victoria game. But that City game was his first experience of a big crowd, it was also the noisiest by far and the most boisterous. Luckily for me, he was hooked on Brighton already despite all the odds but seeing the look on his face as we both stood in the stand watching the pitch invasion was priceless.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here