Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No Southern Trains Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
There is absolutely no need to go to a ticket office these days as everything you require is automated be it on-line or via a vending machine

I've been to the ticket office three times in recent months: once to get a refund on a ticket as cancellations had meant I wasn't able to get to the theatre in time, so hadn't left Brighton; the other occasions because the machine hadn't dispensed the second part of a return ticket. I'm also going next month to buy a Senior Railcard.

A vending machine is not going to deal with issues like that

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
I've been to the ticket office three times in recent months: once to get a refund on a ticket as cancellations had meant I wasn't able to get to the theatre in time, so hadn't left Brighton; the other occasions because the machine hadn't dispensed the second part of a return ticket. I'm also going next month to buy a Senior Railcard.

A vending machine is not going to deal with issues like that

They will all be E-Tickets soon..

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Are they though given the range of options on buying tickets and media available to do it.

There is absolutely no need to go to a ticket office these days as everything you require is automated be it on-line or via a vending machine

Rubbish. I'm currently trying to travel to Hove from Portslade for an evening out. Gone to buy my ticket from the machine - out of order - not unusual ! Just gone to the ticket office and there's a sign on the door saying 'Ticket Office Closed Today ( Monday )'. I will now be travelling without a ticket - why do we employ useless morons to work on and to run our railways ?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Are they though given the range of options on buying tickets and media available to do it.

It is just a backdoor way of cutting costs, ticket office staff can advise a passenger on what is the best deal.... a ticket machine can't.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
I have not used a ticket office since they made delay repay do BACS transfers, but can appreciate the value if you have someone who doesn't know exactly what to do. The machines break down all the time.

Then again the ticket offices quite often don't open on time and are probably less reliable than the machines in the early morning.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Won't work for all routes but Thameslink is running as standard (which admittedly probably isn't great) but helps if you are travelling to Gatwick or London. I'm off to Gatwick for a holiday on Wednesday so glad that this element of the company is still running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted User X18H

Rubbish. I'm currently trying to travel to Hove from Portslade for an evening out. Gone to buy my ticket from the machine - out of order - not unusual ! Just gone to the ticket office and there's a sign on the door saying 'Ticket Office Closed Today ( Monday )'. I will now be travelling without a ticket - why do we employ useless morons to work on and to run our railways ?

You live in Hangleton, And you're getting a train to Hove from Portslade? Unbelievable

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Perfect argument for closing them permanently. They are never open when you need them anyway. Cheers.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Dear aslef. As a commuter on the Brighton main line who has endured months of misery caused by the rmt & southern, you are now going to cause even more misery to the hundreds of thousands of people who use this railway line. Let me be clear - you do not have my support & I have not met anyone who agrees with you. You worry about safety yet not long ago slam door trains were perfectly safe enough.. They are planning driver less cars & I look forward to the day that driver & guard less trains operate. Merry Christmas. We wunt be druv..

My message to aslef - I doubt them northerners will understand the last bit

albionite

May 20, 2009
Dear aslef. As a commuter on the Brighton main line who has endured months of misery caused by the rmt & southern, you are now going to cause even more misery to the hundreds of thousands of people who use this railway line. Let me be clear - you do not have my support & I have not met anyone who agrees with you. You worry about safety yet not long ago slam door trains were perfectly safe enough.. They are planning driver less cars & I look forward to the day that driver & guard less trains operate. Merry Christmas. We wunt be druv..

I bet you also believed every word the government/ police said at hillsbrough

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

We've not met have we?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Won't work for all routes but Thameslink is running as standard (which admittedly probably isn't great) but helps if you are travelling to Gatwick or London. I'm off to Gatwick for a holiday on Wednesday so glad that this element of the company is still running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Set your alarm early and check on the day. A 10pm check as running means a 6.30am cancellation. Its happened NUMEROUS times over last few weeks. Build in plenty of **** up factor.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
To be fair southern dont extend to Germany...i feel his pain. You need to suffer the first world equivalemt of trench warfare every day to comment. Sorry.

Im on the 6.06 Thameslink

Today I'm getting the thameslink to Croydon. Tram to Wimbledon & northern line. Simple!

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Anyone know why there is no Gatwick Express service? Or why this train in particular is cancelled between Brighton and Chichester?

Screen Shot 2016-12-13 at 07.54.19.png

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Would you want to be on a train travelling at 90mph with a driver not knowing where the signals, stations, speed restrictions etc were ? Drivers are trained in sections so a newbie driver is only trained on a small section which I explained in a past post, so to be a fully competent driver in a big depot like Brighton would take 10 years or more, in the past it was impossible to be one and you could do your entire life as a driver and not be fully competent in all routes and tractions at each depot.

But hey I only troll this thread so why am I responding ?

That for me is where a drastic rethink is probably needed . It seems an outdated method , but thats from an outsider point of view .. cannot see Drivers unions going anywhere near excepting something like that .

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Anyone know why there is no Gatwick Express service? Or why this train in particular is cancelled between Brighton and Chichester?

View attachment 80150
My guess is that as it's the only train the whole day it was decided that it's safer to skip those stations altogether. I know quite a few people who originally said that they would get the GWR train from Worthing to Brighton this morning. That would cause a proper fight at all of the Southern only stations.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here