Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dale Stephens Summer 2016 shenanigans (Merged Thread)

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Why? It's an excellent, honest tweet.

What is he supposed to have said, 'I didn't mean to hand in the transfer request, I'm really, really sorry etc..."? What would be the point in that, he would be lying and would be criticised for it.

I admire his honesty. He just did what 99% of players would have done in the same boat.

I also admire the club's resolve this summer in rejecting the bids we've had but do wonder in this case whether it was such a wise move.

He could have come out and said that he was still committed to playing for this club and happy to be here, despite wanting the move. By saying what he said about honouring the contract, it seems like he is here under protest - and given his recent absence it does make you wonder. You could say that he's being "honest" by not saying that if it isn't the case, but then I think someone who earns as much as him being annoyed for being held into respecting a contract that pays as much as it does for such a great lifestyle is petty.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Why? It's an excellent, honest tweet.

What is he supposed to have said, 'I didn't mean to hand in the transfer request, I'm really, really sorry etc..."? What would be the point in that, he would be lying and would be criticised for it.

I admire his honesty. He just did what 99% of players would have done in the same boat.

I also admire the club's resolve this summer in rejecting the bids we've had but do wonder in this case whether it was such a wise move.

So you think it's acceptable to suggest that he doesn't think this current squad of players is good enough to help him achieve his desire to play in the Premier League?

His tweet is damaging in many ways, to his fellow team mates, to the club and in my opinion the fans.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I think TB should have let him go.
£8m for a player that has potentially lost heart.
Yes we wouldn't have adequately replaced him, but unless we get promoted this season, he's gone for nothing.

Could have used the cash towards a striker.

The above will most likely be very unpopular, but that's my stance on the Stephens saga.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I still think that once the lad gets over the disappointment of not having been allowed to leave that he will possibly sign a contract in the coming months and he won't leave in January either. It is still my belief that he will stay with us till the end of the season and either go up to the Premiership with us or get a clause in any new contact he signs stating that he can leave subject to a certain level of fee being received. That would be the fair thing to do by both Stephens and the club.

He may go in January but that'll depend on how our season is going etc. He may even sign a new contract with a release clause.

Not much chance of that.

A free transfer is a lucrative thing indeed for a footballer IF he is in demand. As a free agent he'd naturally attract plenty of interest next summer, and some of the cash that his new club would have expected to put towards a transfer fee, can instead be diverted directly into his wallet as a signing on fee. He can pick and choose according to whoever comes up with the readies.

The flipside of this is if he gets long-term crocked of course, as he'll not have the security of a contract beyond June with us to keep him ticking over, and would obviously be less likely to find a new club while he's on crutches.

Obviously we now know money is the top, top priority with Dale though, so I would expect him to take his chances, look forward to his freedom in June, and cash in accordingly.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
This.

His tweet has made me very angry with him.

He needs a new agent as a good one would have had him in the Premier League today. This 'club knew 5 weeks ago' is just not on! He should have handed in a transfer request 5 weeks ago then!

I'll be a massive DS fan again when we next play at the Amex but for now I'm very pissed off with him.

Didn't he have a dodgy agent before that resulted in Albion being fined for working with said agent?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
If Bloom had accepted that was less than he (or Barber) valued a player just because they wanted to leave then a very bad precedent would be set. Every player now knows they are here until a club comes in with an offer that fits what we want.

Strong leadership.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I've just read the tweet and I admire his honesty. It makes perfect sense for him to want the move. It also makes perfect sense for BHA not to sell unless our valuation is matched. My only criticism of DS is his delaying putting in a transfer request until yesterday. If he has wanted a move for five weeks then he should already have submitted the request as the wish to break the contract comes from him not the club. Other than that he has not shied from the truth in that tweet so time to move on and give him our full support.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Not much chance of that.

A free transfer is a lucrative thing indeed for a footballer IF he is in demand. As a free agent he'd naturally attract plenty of interest next summer, and some of the cash that his new club would have expected to put towards a transfer fee, can instead be diverted directly into his wallet as a signing on fee. He can pick and choose according to whoever comes up with the readies.

The flipside of this is if he gets long-term crocked of course, as he'll not have the security of a contract beyond June with us to keep him ticking over, and would obviously be less likely to find a new club while he's on crutches.

Obviously we now know money is the top, top priority with Dale though, so I would expect him to take his chances, look forward to his freedom in June, and cash in accordingly.

It is possible to get a percentage of any Transfer Fee written into any new contract as well which could be in conjunction with an increased salary for 9 months so all these things are up for negotiation because that would ensure we got a fee as well.

When you deal with these players and Agents you get to see all sorts of clauses written into contracts so anything is possible.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It is possible to get a percentage of any Transfer Fee written into any new contract as well which could be in conjunction with an increased salary for 9 months so all these things are up for negotiation because that would ensure we got a fee as well.

When you deal with these players and Agents you get to see all sorts of clauses written into contracts so anything is possible.

Of course.

But when the player/agent knows that the club is getting his services for nothing, ie no transfer fee involved, then it puts them in a very strong bargaining position to milk them. Which the club will be prepared to accept, because they know that they are acquiring a valuable (and saleable) asset for nothing. I'm not saying Dale would get the equivalent of a transfer fee landing in his account, but its fair to assume he'd get a very nice sweetener to secure his services, well beyond what he could expect to receive had the buying club had to shell out £5m / £6m / £7m (and we already know Dale rates himself in the £10m bracket).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think TB should have let him go.
£8m for a player that has potentially lost heart.
Yes we wouldn't have adequately replaced him, but unless we get promoted this season, he's gone for nothing.

Could have used the cash towards a striker.

The above will most likely be very unpopular, but that's my stance on the Stephens saga.

Mmmm..... the Argus says six bids from Burnley, but DS did not put in a transfer request till last night. Sounds to me like Burnley dicking around, and DS playing for the extra bit of money that would have come his way had he been transferred 'against his wishes' (without putting in a request). In this particular game of brinkmanship there was only ever going to be one winner - Tony Bloom. Now DS will have to pull his pants up and play out of his skin or he will have the rest of the team on his back, and his cachet will plummet (see Berahino for 'tainted goods'). The only chance he has of getting in the prem next season is by helping us get there. If he sulks and we fail then the best he can hope for is a signing on fee from a middle ranking championship side. Time to move very swiftly on . . . . and nod in admiration towards TB.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
He could have come out and said that he was still committed to playing for this club and happy to be here, despite wanting the move. By saying what he said about honouring the contract, it seems like he is here under protest - and given his recent absence it does make you wonder. You could say that he's being "honest" by not saying that if it isn't the case, but then I think someone who earns as much as him being annoyed for being held into respecting a contract that pays as much as it does for such a great lifestyle is petty.

Its the whole fan emotion v's pro player perception thing again. Dale Stephens is not a Brighton fan, he pays his bills by playing for the club. Ask yourself if another employer in your field offered you more money per week to do your job at a higher level, and that if that company was sussex based and you'd been living in your present job at the other end of the country to where you come from....what would be your reaction? Its natural.

This event it seems is also a paradigm shift, a new precedent. History has showed that players that came here before for any contract duration were allowed to go if a suitable offer from a prem club came in and the player wanted it. There is no way that 8 million for a player with 10 months on his contract who wanted to leave could be deemed derisory, but the club stopped it, fair play to TB, as is his prerogative. But was Stephens ever told or even under the impression that he like many before him wouldnt be stopped if that happened?

Going forward, will players now insist on a contract clause? or even be turned off coming if they get a chance to increase their wages or be nearer to home and the club now has history in stopping players from doing so.

No doubt we're stronger with Dale, he's under contract etc etc but pandoras box is now open.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

I've just read the tweet and I admire his honesty. It makes perfect sense for him to want the move. It also makes perfect sense for BHA not to sell unless our valuation is matched. My only criticism of DS is his delaying putting in a transfer request until yesterday. If he has wanted a move for five weeks then he should already have submitted the request as the wish to break the contract comes from him not the club. Other than that he has not shied from the truth in that tweet so time to move on and give him our full support.
I'm with you on that. Why this is the time for honesty, straight talking is beyond me. Maybe the Club asked him not to because they would try and make it happen for him if they found a replacement, or the bid reached their valuation. Either way, the Club has hardly been unclear publicly that they weren't keen on selling him. Maybe the Pritchard deal scuppered it for Dale. Either way, he has been quiet, should stay quiet. The Club hasn't hung him out to dry through this, so I would have stayed quiet publicly. Nothing to be gained from the tweet for anyone, except Burnley fans!

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
If that's how Dale feels we should have sold. We now have at least two unhappy players who have felt the need to express their views on social media, and we are a striker short.

Not the best transfer window.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Going forward, will players now insist on a contract clause? or even be turned off coming if they get a chance to increase their wages or be nearer to home and the club now has history in stopping players from doing so.

No doubt we're stronger with Dale, he's under contract etc etc but pandoras box is now open.

A release clause is quite common when a moderately decent club sign a promising young player. Unfortunately in DS's case, he was not that young and not that promising when we signed him, so he (or his agent) gratefully took the deal we offered. This means that Burnley never had the right to 'trigger a release clause' and speak to our player. Burnley must have known what they were dealing with (TB) so their tightfistedness let them down. Anyway . . . I will now move on (to another thread) as hopefully the club and Stephens will do (to the job in hand).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here