Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] VAR does not work for England

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Do you think maybe, just maybe, our allegiance to England taints the way we see the way VAR is used. There have been many strikers who could have been given fouls called. Referees call a game a certain way and if it doesn't fit the fans allegiance than those fans will scream bloody murder.
No. We will, of course, have been watching more carefully, subjecting decisions to a greater degree of scrutiny, but that's different from seeing it through England tinted spectacles.

Maybe, and fans of other countries probably have been doing the same. We just haven't heard about it. Brazil have just asked FIFA for an explanation into why VAR wasn't used on two incidents in their game with Switzerland.
Good for them - I don't know what the incidents being queried are, but I'd certainly be interested to know, and what the response is. Presumably, as the evidence is officially recorded, appeals can be made at any time - but what sanctions can be applied? Maybe one more thing about VAR that hasn't been thought through yet.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Good for them - I don't know what the incidents being queried are, but I'd certainly be interested to know, and what the response is. Presumably, as the evidence is officially recorded, appeals can be made at any time - but what sanctions can be applied? Maybe one more thing about VAR that hasn't been thought through yet.

You can't chalk off a goal two days later because of (in this instance) a push.

Retrospective red cards - and therefore bans - I'd welcome, but that doesn't come under 'VAR', just 'video evidence'. Not that anything springs to mind in the tournament so far that would justify that.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
They were funny, don’t be embarrassed. It was a great evening to be a drunk English fan,

No, no. Well played sir, it made a good night last a bit longer. Wish we had a bit more passion for our country rather than all those who mock those of us who watch all the friendlies and qualifiers and then jump on the band wagon about now, who then think they have the right to an opinion!
Start on the java on Saturday night and carry on Sunday morning...... then start posting on here please

TBF bringing the death of Jihadi John into a thread about VAR is one of my NSC all time achievements!

Ps this is my chest F4127DB8-8938-42C8-A166-388561A5AB0C.jpeg

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Of course not - neither can you change the result of a game - I realise that, hence my question about what sanctions could be applied.

Retrospective red cards - and therefore bans - I'd welcome, but that doesn't come under 'VAR', just 'video evidence'. Not that anything springs to mind in the tournament so far that would justify that.
Retrospective yellows too - they would probably be 'easier' to give.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Of course not - neither can you change the result of a game - I realise that, hence my question about what sanctions could be applied.

Retrospective yellows too - they would probably be 'easier' to give.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I think the Tunisian penalty was a penalty, albeit soft. I think the first rugby tackle on Kane should have been a penalty, not sure on the second as haven't seen it more than once (the video on the thread has been deleted). I think the biggest impediment to England's progress throughout the match though was neither VAR or the ref but our own players wasting so many chances so maybe people do need to look elsewhere for something to blame :)

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I’m hoping this could work in our favour.

Refs won’t want to make the same mistakes on Kane so will be watching him.

The ref was rubbish, he has history of being shite with Var.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think the Tunisian penalty was a penalty, albeit soft. I think the first rugby tackle on Kane should have been a penalty, not sure on the second as haven't seen it more than once (the video on the thread has been deleted). I think the biggest impediment to England's progress throughout the match though was neither VAR or the ref but our own players wasting so many chances so maybe people do need to look elsewhere for something to blame :)

Nobody is saying England weren't profligate, they clearly were. But it doesn't mean there weren't other factors at play that made the result that much more difficult - primarily the fact that Tunisia were awarded the softest of pens when that little weasel Youssef went down clutching his face in fake agony, whilst England were denied two big penalty shouts that the officials weren't even interested in looking at.

Its true that none of that would've mattered so much had we stuck away those numerous chances, but Tunisia were very nearly assisted by the officials to a totally undeserved point.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
It's a World Cup being hosted by Russia. I'm not at all surprised that Tunisia were awarded a soft penalty the only time they ventured into our box. VAR provides the Russian state with a really, really easy way to stack the cards against us. Do you honestly think Russia would allow England to win a World Cup on their turf?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I’m hoping this could work in our favour.

Refs won’t want to make the same mistakes on Kane so will be watching him.

The ref was rubbish, he has history of being shite with Var.

I am hoping for the same, normally these decsions go against us and wego out, luckily this time around we didnt get the decsions in our favour but it didnt cost us.

All Refs going forward will surely be more inclined to keep an eye on Harry in the box.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Nobody is saying England weren't profligate, they clearly were. But it doesn't mean there weren't other factors at play that made the result that much more difficult - primarily the fact that Tunisia were awarded the softest of pens when that little weasel Youssef went down clutching his face in fake agony, whilst England were denied two big penalty shouts that the officials weren't even interested in looking at.

Its true that none of that would've mattered so much had we stuck away those numerous chances, but Tunisia were very nearly assisted by the officials to a totally undeserved point.

Summed up perfectly.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
No. We will, of course, have been watching more carefully, subjecting decisions to a greater degree of scrutiny, but that's different from seeing it through England tinted spectacles.

Hmmm ...

VAR provides the Russian state with a really, really easy way to stack the cards against us. Do you honestly think Russia would allow England to win a World Cup on their turf?

Oh dear

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
They rig elections without batting an eyelid. If you think for one moment they couldn't or wouldn't influence the outcome of the WC you're gravely naive.

Where have I suggested otherwise?

I was pointing out that your assertion is a direct contradiction of GT49er's suggestion that we're debating this because we have a keen interest in England rather than thinking England are being singled out for special treatment.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
It's a World Cup being hosted by Russia. I'm not at all surprised that Tunisia were awarded a soft penalty the only time they ventured into our box. VAR provides the Russian state with a really, really easy way to stack the cards against us. Do you honestly think Russia would allow England to win a World Cup on their turf?

This is a innocent question without a presumed answer. What exactly does anybody who is Russian have to do with the VAR process?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here