Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Will we rest players vs Man Utd ?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
That is true, and far be it for me to second guess the Messiah, but the performance at Arsenal was in stark contrast to the performance v West Ham, and very reminiscent of the style used v City.

I'm expecting this to be another 'don't lose badly' performance, which will hopefully come on the back 3 points v Stoke, and easily brushed off before palace.

One thing that won't happen is the team 'grinding out a result'.

(Already excited at the prospect of you bouncing this post)

I am not allowed to bet on results of certain matches and I bet very rarely these days anyhow but if I were to bet on it I would go for a 0-0 . Because it starts 0-0 and keeping it that way to me would be what I would call grinding out a result. Can I bounce your post if it stays 0-0

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Sorry I disagree as I think that he will to use an old football cliche, take every game as it comes, and play the strongest available team. then after that game worry about the next one.

Well i'll disagree and agree with that one...yes one game at a time...and he will employ his squad of players..and assess what his strongest available team is 'in his opinion' not the likes of you and me

Ceej

Feb 1, 2013
Manchester
CH will want to keep a steady ship. No big changes, perhaps see a little more of Solly, Tomer and a bit of Kayal. Assuming we stay magically uninjured! Doh!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I am not allowed to bet on results of certain matches and I bet very rarely these days anyhow but if I were to bet on it I would go for a 0-0 . Because it starts 0-0 and keeping it that way to me would be what I would call grinding out a result. Can I bounce your post if it stays 0-0

Oh definitely :bounce: away, I have no problem with being wrong.
I'd be ecstatic with 0-0, a point against the head and all that, I'd also be very surprised.

I seem to remember we've been here before though with the end result you being a little disappointed by the manner of the defeat at Arsenal.

Just to reiterate I see this 'top 6' game as being very different, what with it coming between 2 massive games.
I wouldn't grumble if CH played tonight's Check-a-Trade team @ Old Trafford (only slightly joking). In much the same way were we to be playing t'other Manchester that weekend I'd want Ryan, Krul & Mäenpää all playing, plus at least 6 nominated rush goalies.

I actually came back to apologise for #59, it started a poorly.

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
Jees - we’ve played 11 league games in 13 weeks and apparently the players need a rest? Bloody ridiculous.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
If watching Premier League football most weekends for over 20 years has taught me anything, it’s that you never know which games are going to be winnable. You never know when opponents are going to have an off day. You never know when the opposing manager is going to pick the wrong team. So pick our strongest team and let’s see what happens.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Jees - we’ve played 11 league games in 13 weeks and apparently the players need a rest? Bloody ridiculous.

Only the posters who are against the idea are saying 'players won't be rested' (and the :fishing: OP).

To me it's not a case of what's happened before it's all about planning for the future, if you think Murray is up to playing 3 games in 8 days, that's great, CH may well think the same and I'll be loud wrong, c'est la vie.
The same applies to our wingers, bearing in mind how good we need them to be on the 8th day.
Finally in that very important last game we'll be playing a team with one threat, their winger, I think it would probably be best to have that full back at 100%.

I write this because the 'replacements' aren't weaker than the current first team, so CH won't be playing a weakened side v Utd, and will (hopefully) play palace with selection headaches all over the pitch.

Last edited:

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
If I were a player who helped the club get to the Premier League, I would be royally pissed if I were not allowed to play against the cream, earned the right surely.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I'm sorry but what...?

You're telling me that a team that played 50 games (46 league games, 4 cup games) last season, often playing Saturday (Friday in our case most of the time) Tuesday, Saturday for most of the last season, will now struggle because they have to play Monday, Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday, for the first time this season?

Sorry but I don't buy that once ounce - this team know what it takes, and playing on Saturday and then playing again Tuesday will give the team a very quick chance to possibly bounce back (if we lose) or possibly even kick on even more...
Yes but the concentration and running the players exhibit this season is on another stratosphere. You can see that they are mentally and physically exhausted after every game. Completely different kettle of fish to last season, where for many games they could just cruise to victory.

There will have to be squad rotation. Hughton knows what he's doing.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

MrSnuggles

Apr 29, 2016
Many of our first team have never played at Old Trafford. These are the occasions that professional footballers live for. The day when they can look back and tell the story to their grand children. You won't get any of our players volunteering to sit this out in favour of having a rest!

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Many of our first team have never played at Old Trafford. These are the occasions that professional footballers live for. The day when they can look back and tell the story to their grand children. You won't get any of our players volunteering to sit this out in favour of having a rest!

I should think the likes of The Emirates, Wembley, Anfield and Citeh's ground would come above that decrepit old place in a wish list.

San Siro

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Adrian: There’s one thing I want you to do for me.
Rocky Balboa: What?
Adrian: Come ‘ere
Rocky Balboa: What?
Adrian: Win…
Adrian: Win!
Mickey: What’re we waitin’ fer?! Take this!

There's only one thing I want the Albion to do for us and that is to go into every game trying to win.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Wembley and possibly Anfield are the only ones that get near to approaching the iconic staus of Old Trafford certainly not Arsenals or Citys.

Man City’s ground is the best of the lot in my opinion (having been to them all). Old Trafford and Anfield are both cramped and old fashioned.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Man City’s ground is the best of the lot in my opinion (having been to them all). Old Trafford and Anfield are both cramped and old fashioned.

I wouldnt argue but Anfield and Old Trafford have history and nostalgia on their side which the players may consider to be important to tell their grandchildren in later life. Did you ever play at Old Trafford grandad ? Yes Son I played at Old Trafford and Anfield

Withdean Chappy

Jul 21, 2017
Westdean
Dunk and Duffy arnt human, they dont need a rest.

The thought of playing Man United at home should be a enough to jeer up any tired players, playing at Old Trafford and Anfield etc is probably what most of the players looked for with the fixtures were released.
The two away games that we gained six points from West Ham and Swansea were fortunate in that those teams played very poorly to expect Man U and Liverpool to perform at that level is hardly likely.
Fielding eleven defenders and using all the subs would quite possibly keep the score down and ensure that our top players would be injury free and fresh for the games to follow

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here