Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] iPhone X

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Can you quote the post that said that please - interested to see who said it.

I'll add that after sales service is also exceptional and, for me, well worth any "Apple tax". I have friends who have the occasional issue with an Android phone and they always seem to need to send it away for a week or two. The couple of times I've had an issue, even in another country, they've been quickly resolved at the first time of asking in an Apple Store.

OK. You don't explicitly say "it's the best customer service" but the implication is there when you state that you're willing to pay a huge amount more for the product because of the customer service.

The article I linked above (I've read it now) disproves the theory that Apple actually give a shit about their customers any more than any other multi billion £ company.

As an aside, my son broke the charging point on our Samsung tablet and (despite the fact that it was definitely our/his fault) I took it to the Samsung shop in Sheffield and they fixed it for free. It was out of warranty.

I'm not trying to prove a point that one company is better than another as I don't believe that to be true. Just that the concept of paying an "Apple tax" for better service is incorrect and a con.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
OK. You don't explicitly say "it's the best customer service" but the implication is there when you state that you're willing to pay a huge amount more for the product because of the customer service.

No I didn't say that at all. Once again, your bizarre rabid anti-Apple crusade has you reading things that aren't there. I said:

"I'll add that after sales service is also exceptional and, for me, well worth any "Apple tax". I have friends who have the occasional issue with an Android phone and they always seem to need to send it away for a week or two. The couple of times I've had an issue, even in another country, they've been quickly resolved at the first time of asking in an Apple Store."

At no point did I say I was willing to "pay a huge amount more" for an Apple product. As I've already said on this very thread as it stands, the iPhone X is simply too expensive for me for what it offers. Additionally, I've also said on this very thread that the enhanced resale values of Apple product make good any higher initial outlay. By way of an example, I've just checked out both the launch price and the current CEX offer price for the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge 32gb and the iPhone 7 32gb, both in black.

S7 Edge. Launch price: £639. CEX offer price: £182. Value lost: £457. Current value as a percentage of new price: 28.4%
iPhone 7: Launch price: £599. CEX offer price: £321. Value lost: £278. Current value as a percentage of new price: 53.5%

It's not even close. Like it or not, Apple kit retains value like nothing else, whilst Samsung kit simply does not.

The article I linked above (I've read it now) disproves the theory that Apple actually give a shit about their customers any more than any other multi billion £ company.

It's not a good example at all - I'd not argue otherwise. But, as you say, I can't imagine many big companies facing up to such a class action by simply folding.

As an aside, my son broke the charging point on our Samsung tablet and (despite the fact that it was definitely our/his fault) I took it to the Samsung shop in Sheffield and they fixed it for free. It was out of warranty.

My daughter dropped an iPod Touch face down on a pavement from a decent height and shattered the screen. I took it in to see if it could be repaired, but expecting to have to buy a new one. Thehy simply gave me a brand new one and said "ask her to try not to drop this one."

I had a couple of dead pixels on a MacBook Pro screen that was out of warranty. Additionally, I knew a couple of dead pixels were well within "tolerance" for a display. It bugged me though so I took it in to see how much the repair would be. The Apple chap looked at it and said "I can see that would be a bit annoying - we'll swap it out, and it's on us this time". From what i recall, it was a c£300 repair.

I dropped an iPhone 6 onto the concrete floor of a poncey bar in New York and cracked the screen from corner to corner at around 10pm at night. I opened the Apple Store app on it, found the nearest Apple Store to my hotel was at Grand Central Station, made a Genius Bar appointment for 7am and by 7:30am I was on my way with an "as new" phone.

As I said: the service I have received from Apple has always been excellent. If that changes then I'd reconsider my purchases although, at the risk of repeating myself, the pricing of the last MacBook Pro was too high so they lost me updating my Air and, again, the iPhone X looks like pricing me out from upgrading this year.

I'm not trying to prove a point that one company is better than another as I don't believe that to be true. Just that the concept of paying an "Apple tax" for better service is incorrect and a con.

It is not incorrect for me, for the examples I've given and there have probably been more. I've never received OK service from Apple, it has always exceeded that. And, as illustrated above, even if you ignore service (I don't clearly), the residual value that Apple kit holds makes it a value purchase anyway.

I'm outta here. I really don't get why some want to spend their time repeatedly going out of their way to rubbish Apple and their products. The anti-Apple cult is far more bizarre than the supposed pro-Apple cult.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Why do people who don't like or have an Apple phone get SO arsey about them? I don't like BMWs but I don't feel the need to wade in and slag them off when people are talking about how much they love them. I don't give a shit about androids, and I don't have one, but neither do I feel the need to run them down either :shrug:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Why do people who don't like or have an Apple phone get SO arsey about them? I don't like BMWs but I don't feel the need to wade in and slag them off when people are talking about how much they love them. I don't give a shit about androids, and I don't have one, but neither do I feel the need to run them down either :shrug:

What's your problem with BMWs?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just never appealed to me, Alfas and Porsches are more my thing. I know BMW make fine motors but I have never wanted one.

Fair enough.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Bloody hell. I was only pointing out that the price comparison that Bozza made was bollocks. Which it was.

The defensive nature of Apple cult members is pretty worrying sometimes.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Pricing it the same in £ as $ is simply asking you if you'd like to be fleeced.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Pricing it the same in £ as $ is simply asking you if you'd like to be fleeced.

Has been the case on every iPhone since year dot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Not it hasn't. Only since the iPhone 7. I bought my 6 in the states and it was not the same price in £. They used to take the exchange into account.

You're not taking account of tax though.

The UK price includes VAT, which is 20%, the quoted US price does not include any sales tax. The quoted US price will increase depending on which state you live in, as Sales Tax is set at a state not national level.

Example, current 32gb iPhone 7 Plus.

UK price: £669
US price: $669. Adding in tax in, say, Louisiana, adds $65.23 to this, making a total price of $734.23.

UK price is actually £557.50 (net) + £111.50 (tax)
US price is actually $669.00 (net) + $65.23 (tax)

$669 @ £1 = $1.32 = £506.81

So, yes, a UK phone is more expensive but a fair old chunk of that is due to our higher sales tax.

With Brexit uncertainty, it wouldn't take much of a weakening in Sterling for the net prices in both countries to be even closer than they are.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
You're not taking account of tax though.

The UK price includes VAT, which is 20%, the quoted US price does not include any sales tax. The quoted US price will increase depending on which state you live in, as Sales Tax is set at a state not national level.
Example, current 32gb iPhone 7 Plus.

UK price: £669
US price: $669. Adding in tax in, say, Louisiana, adds $65.23 to this, making a total price of $734.23.

UK price is actually £557.50 (net) + £111.50 (tax)
US price is actually $669.00 (net) + $65.23 (tax)

$669 @ £1 = $1.32 = £506.81

So, yes, a UK phone is more expensive but a fair old chunk of that is due to our higher sales tax.

With Brexit uncertainty, it wouldn't take much of a weakening in Sterling for the net prices in both countries to be even closer than they are.

Sales tax is not applied by Apple and therefore they have nothing to do with it, but with calculations I am taxing tax into account. My iPhone 6 Plus that I bought in New York was £80 cheaper than the uk after all taxes. Now at that time the rate was around 1.55 to the dollar. The price in £ was not the same as $. Which is what I was pointing out to another poster. Now Apple have decided to ignore exchange rates and price the iPhone X in parity between £&$, the savings after tax are circa £200! I was pointing out that this wasn't always the case. Apple used to actually be quite clever with its pricing. You couldn't save any more than 8% on any device or computer whether you purchased in Canada, the US or Hong Kong. Now it's different. I find that strange.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Sales tax is not applied by Apple and therefore they have nothing to do with it

Sales tax is applied by Apple at the point of sale, and when you buy online from Apple, they'll apply sales tax based on your zipcode.

Perhaps, you didn't mean "applied" maybe you meant "set".

Regardless, I'm not arguing with you - I'm well aware of the differing prices previously charged - I'm typing this on a MacBook Air bought in the US.

The change is largely due to the weakening of Sterling against the US Dollar, and that as Apple set prices for a whole year in advance, they are factoring in the possibility of Sterling weakening from the current level. Finally, devices are sold at certain price points - they're never going to sell a phone for, say £672. It will be £649 or £699.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
[tweet]907714163564273664[/tweet]

[tweet]907960897053761536[/tweet]

[tweet]907977559903756288[/tweet]

[tweet]908018191183605760[/tweet]

[tweet]907686251003871233[/tweet]

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills