Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Currently NO TRAINS for the Colchester or Forest games

theboybilly

But managers are used to run the services in general? That was my understanding, but conflicts with what [MENTION=27416]theboybilly[/MENTION] said

As I said they haven't got that many managers. Of those some will be on holiday and some will be required to do other duties. Last time I looked they were snowed under with a backlog of work due to shortages of staff. A lot of that work can't just be left for another day so Southern won't be able to utilise all of them on trains. As you are aware Southern 'split' a lot of their trains at various locations which will require another member of staff (i.e. another manager) being ready to join what is in effect another service. I can't see this system working with a skeleton staff, really I can't. All this would be asked without bringing signal failures, train failures and assorted other infrastructure problems into the equation which is almost a certainty nowadays.
Southern might well give it a go to satisfy the DfT or the Government but they would be stupid (and in my view negligent) to carry this through.

theboybilly

They work some, but they're untrained hence why they make mistakes and then get marched off in disgrace causing more chaos

I'm not sure what you mean by this ERNEST as conductors still have to have a Safety Critical certificate (although this is part of the dispute). Any 'manager' doing their work will also need to be qualified. As you know it's not just a case of shutting the doors and going 'ding, ding'. If somebody was to be seriously hurt through Southern putting an 'untrained' person in that position heads would roll

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I'm not sure what you mean by this ERNEST as conductors still have to have a Safety Critical certificate (although this is part of the dispute). Any 'manager' doing their work will also need to be qualified. As you know it's not just a case of shutting the doors and going 'ding, ding'. If somebody was to be seriously hurt through Southern putting an 'untrained' person in that position heads would roll

Several starts against reds on the last strike day, managers marched off. No route training and basic guards rules is a recipe for disaster

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Was initially delighted as I'm due to be on a training course Monday and Tuesday and assumed it would be cancelled and I could go to Colchester game, but no, I now need to drive to Paddington for two days.

Let's hope all parties can come to an agreement in the next few days.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
There won't be no trains. They don't just not run trains during strikes.

Thats not a double negative though.

Really ? you don't think there is a double negative in both sentences ?

No not at all, in the first sentence he is saying there ''wont'' be ''no trains'', in the second he is saying they dont just ''not run trains'', easy really.

So 'won't' and 'no trains' -- won't is negative, no is negative = 2 negatives. The positive without two negatives is 'will be' instead of 'won't be no'.

Second sentence 'don't' is negative and 'not' is negative = 2 negatives. The positive is 'will run' trains instead of 'don't ...not run trains.'

Those are double negatives, where two negatives make a positive.

I'm sure you'll get it eventually.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
So 'won't' and 'no trains' -- won't is negative, no is negative = 2 negatives. The positive without two negatives is 'will be' instead of 'won't be no'.

Second sentence 'don't' is negative and 'not' is negative = 2 negatives. The positive is 'will run' trains instead of 'don't ...not run trains.'

Those are double negatives, where two negatives make a positive.

I'm sure you'll get it eventually.

The first sentence is correct. In a strike of this kind, there won't be 'no trains'. He was countering a statement where someone said 'there will be no trains'.

You could phrase it as 'some trains will run, but it isn't hard to understand what halbpro meant.

theboybilly

The first sentence is correct. In a strike of this kind, there won't be 'no trains'. He was countering a statement where someone said 'there will be no trains'.

You could phrase it as 'some trains will run, but it isn't hard to understand what halbpro meant.

Had halpro written it as you did (complete with punctuation) it would have made sense. As it was it was painful to read

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit

No dispute whatsoever with the validity of either statement. Just the fact that one person seems to be unable to understand the fact that both sentences are double negatives (as posted in my reply). He was trying to say that Halbro's statement as quoted in the first quote in post #147 was not a double negative. You can see all posts in sequence in that post #147.
:)

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
If the 'travelling community' can just turn up and occupy one of our public parks without any hindrance from the police and council, then why don't we as Albion fans do the same thing? If we were to agree to designate Wild Park as our unofficial car park for these matches, then the weight of numbers of a couple of thousand cars turning off Lewes Road and parking up couldn't be stopped. If the authorities decided to take action against us then we could just take a dump in the woods and empty our cars of our rubbish and claim to be Irish travellers. They would then run a mile and pretend they hadn't seen us....

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
No dispute whatsoever with the validity of either statement. Just the fact that one person seems to be unable to understand the fact that both sentences are double negatives (as posted in my reply). He was trying to say that Halbro's statement as quoted in the first quote in post #147 was not a double negative. You can see all posts in sequence in that post #147.
:)

Look I'll settle this .

It should be "Their ain't know trains"

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester
As I said they haven't got that many managers. Of those some will be on holiday and some will be required to do other duties. Last time I looked they were snowed under with a backlog of work due to shortages of staff. A lot of that work can't just be left for another day so Southern won't be able to utilise all of them on trains. As you are aware Southern 'split' a lot of their trains at various locations which will require another member of staff (i.e. another manager) being ready to join what is in effect another service. I can't see this system working with a skeleton staff, really I can't. All this would be asked without bringing signal failures, train failures and assorted other infrastructure problems into the equation which is almost a certainty nowadays.
Southern might well give it a go to satisfy the DfT or the Government but they would be stupid (and in my view negligent) to carry this through.

On the previous strike days, I recall the strike service on conductor-worked lines was: 1 train per hour Brighton to Bognor, 1 train per hour Three Bridges to Chichester (connections between the two at Barnham), 1 train per hour Brighton to Eastbourne. All as daytime only. Brighton Mainline ran Gat Ex & Thameslink DOO. Only trains beyond Chi to Havant etc were the Great Westerns twice a day. Pretty sure there was nothing to Seaford, Bexhill-Hastings-Ashford, Uckfield. Not sure about East Grinstead. Willing to be corrected on anything I've got wrong.
Whether they could keep even that up for five days in a row instead of one day at a time seems highly doubtful, especially if the managers involved in the red light incidents are still suspended/banned from acting as conductors.

elninobonito

Whitehawk Born and Bred
May 27, 2011
The nearest pick up point to London Bridge is Redhill
The coach leaves from there at 5.15 and we generally get to the Amex "about" 7pm ish
Traffic will probably be heavy so may be a bit later than that

Thank you, I cant leave London Bridge until 5.30 maybe 5.15 at the earliest though!

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
This seasons travel is going to be an absolute joke.

Things were starting to unravel with Southern for the Boro game and getting to the Amex for the beamback that day was pretty horrific with 5k people.

Absolute shambles.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm seriously thinking about investing in a bike.

One thing I wondered about though - when you get to the Amex, what do you do with your HELMET ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here