Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Striker Issue!!

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Also I would have taken a gamble on Wells.

Can I ask you something ?

Which side is currently sitting at the top of the Championship ?

Which team in the Championship would then be most likely not be willing to sell their best striker ?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Can I ask you something ?

Which side is currently sitting at the top of the Championship ?

Which team in the Championship would then be most likely not be willing to sell their best striker ?
I agree, and I suspect we tried incredibly hard to get Wells but Huddersfield being top wouldn't sell.

Maybe in January, hopefully on the 1st if Huddersfield fade.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Just for the benefit of the club apologists:

It is not disloyal to the club to point out that we have repeatedly failed to sign a striker good enough to push Sam B onto the bench, despite the leadership of the club publicly identifying this gap in our 1st team squad.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Heard we are getting a pair of striokers from Russia on loan.
Glasnost.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Why the question mark over Hemed? He scored 17 in his first season in the Championship? By far our top goalscorer? Weird.

Suspect that the same individuals who criticised Murray first time and Barnes are now laying into Hemed and Baldock both are fine players Hemids goal return is very good and Baldocks work rate and assists are from first class agree he could score a few more but you cannot have everything

Last edited:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I don't know the answer but if we got £170 million and top players are around 20 million then we could buy 5 with the rest of the money going on wages etc , 5 top players might not be enough.

I

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
The real problem is that being a rock solid championship club costs Tony 18 million a year. How long will he fund this ongoing loss ?

but promotion might present a new financial problem because the £170 or so won't actually buy you a lot maybe 5 players and the rest goes on wages. Rock solid with some deliverables from the development squad puts us in a better position.

If Tony wants his money back (and I am not suggesting he does) then his best option would be to get promoted , spend none of the money and top it up later with parachute money.

HIS BEST OPTION WOULD BE TO GET PROMOTED , SPEND NO MONEY , COME DOWN WITH A PRA

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes I would have taken a gamble on Vydra, he would have fitted in brilliantly into our squad and would have worked with Glenn well. Just because they had a poor season last year, does not make them a bad player. Also I would have taken a gamble on Wells.

Yeh, fine. And what exactly would your plan be when their respective clubs turned round and said 'no deal, we're not selling to you at any price' - or hadn't you thought it through that far?

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Is it just me that is VERY happy with the way the club is being run and thinking Bloom is spunking enough of his cash that I don't feel I can complain about anything?

I get the impression that much of the bed wetting is from the new Amex generation of fans. We suddenly got an extra 20,000 fans who wanted nothing to do with the club when it was a L1 club playing in a converted athletics track. Logic would suggest that while some of these are obviously Goldstone old-timers returning, many of them have started coming just because with the new stadium and some decent management, we seem to be perennial play-off contenders year in year out that are close to actually getting promotion to the Premier League. The fact that we've narrowly missed out 3 of the last 4 years is starting to get to the JCLs I fear. Hence all the pissing and moaning regarding the spending of other people's money.

I think most of us would be happy with another top 6 finish and a 4th crack at those play-offs.

You never know, we might even do better than the semis this time.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Is it just me that is VERY happy with the way the club is being run and thinking Bloom is spunking enough of his cash that I don't feel I can complain about anything?

Spot on, he won't pay ridiculous money and is intent on keeping the club stable. Many clubs (including us arguably) have gambled and lost. Personally i am very happy with the way the club is run.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Some concern showed last season - sense there is similar concern already for next on some threads.

When we have signed at least two Premier League quality strikers I'll be happy. Until then, for me at least, fear rules.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
When we have signed at least two Premier League quality strikers I'll be happy. Until then, for me at least, fear rules.

I know you are not the most positive on here but surely the club has earned your trust over the last two years. We have done amazingly well in the transfer market. Surely, rather than letting fear rule, you could wait and see

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I imagine if you asked fans of almost every Premier League (and Championship, for that matter) club what they need most, they'll say "a striker". Even Chelsea will be expecting one to come in to replace Costa. Man City want them for Aguero's many injuries. Liverpool want a consistent 20 goal man. Stoke, West Brom, Swansea need goals. Palace need goals (Benteke is inconsistent). Watford's have dried up since Oghalo & Deeney went off form. Burnley need more. Huddersfield are desperate for a goalscorer or three. And you can bet your bottom dollar Newcastle are scanning the globe for options in the event Gayle doesn't cut it in the PL.

Even clubs who already have prolific strikers (say Spurs) always look for more.

A quality striker is the most prized asset in the game, therefore most clubs are competing for a very select few players. We're no different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here