Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Turkish Fans & minutes Silence in Instanbal

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
The difficulty in this, of course, is that we don't know how much of this was in response to the bombings in Ankara not being commiserated in the same way. You only have to look at the social media response. So many Turks are giving this as the reason. So, are they trying to cover up the fact that the entire Turkish nation is an ISIS sympathiser, or are they simply revealing that they are pretty miffed at what they see a Western hypocrisy?

I am with you on the Western Hypocrisy but does not excuse the fact that they were disrespectful to the people who lost their lives. The Western Hypocrisy can be challenged in other avenues. There is a time an a place for everything

Yoda

English & European
Apparently some ISIS supporters haven't got the message. Here's a huge ISIS flag being waved at a football match in Tunisia.

Bvo4cV7CIAApTnv.jpg

Err Buzzer, My Arabic is pretty much non existent, but the line on the bottom is completely different to their actual flag:
ISIS-in-Afghanistan2-NBC.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised if is says something condemning ISIL. Remember similar looking flag at the Notting Hill Carnival last year causing a stir too?

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Well it's a massive flaw in their ideology.

Maybe it was just one sympathiser going there with a massive flag and no one underneath knew what it said. If a flag rolled itself out at the Amex I would lift it without knowing what was written on the topside. Just a theory of course.

Your theory needs testing.

Seagulls flag at the Selhurst?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Err Buzzer, My Arabic is pretty much non existent, but the line on the bottom is completely different to their actual flag:
ISIS-in-Afghanistan2-NBC.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised if is says something condemning ISIL. Remember similar looking flag at the Notting Hill Carnival this year causing a stir too?

Mine too, although the bit in the middle appears to be the same. Maybe it's the equivalent of the Cross of St George with 'Albion' or some lesser club printed on it.....the bottom line being a local group. I dunno, just speculating

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Bit of an overreaction to this IMHO.

Given the bombings in Ankara received modest coverage in the West, given the fact they're having to deal with hundreds of thousands of refugees from Syria / Iraq, and given the fact they have ISIS on their doorstep I can understand why it may well be that the minutes silence wasn't observed by everyone at the match.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
So, are they trying to cover up the fact that the entire Turkish nation is an ISIS sympathiser, or are they simply revealing that they are pretty miffed at what they see a Western hypocrisy?

Given the nonsensical alternative that you offered i'm going to take a punt that you think there's a bit of hypocrisy at play here by the West. It's not - it's not at all and the word 'WEST' is the key here. We can't mark every tragedy in the world because most of them have no meaning or a part in our lives. The ones that we do feel are because of proximity and shared values, compatible cultures, friendships and loyalties. There's a group of countries that get referred to as the 'West' that share all those attributes, so when 120 people are brutally murdered in Paris on a Friday night it will hit home harder to British, Irish, Spanish, Germans etc than say 130 children being murdered in Pakistan.

Turkey aren't part of the West - it's clear from what you and I have both written so when tragedies occur in that country, as awful as they are, we're not going to feel the same way about it so our reactions to both will be different. That's not hypocrisy.

Given that, it probably was not advisable to have a minute's silence in Turkey but if I understand correctly they are complaining that we don't acknowledge their dead soldiers. Christ on a bike, soldiers die all the time. This was 120 innocent civilians murdered in one fell swoop. You cannot compare the two and the Turks are being both stupid and unreasonable if they think it's comparable.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Bit of an overreaction to this IMHO.

Given the bombings in Ankara received modest coverage in the West, given the fact they're having to deal with hundreds of thousands of refugees from Syria / Iraq, and given the fact they have ISIS on their doorstep I can understand why it may well be that the minutes silence wasn't observed by everyone at the match.

Maybe there should be a minutes silence on the March 20th?

Given the nonsensical alternative that you offered i'm going to take a punt that you think there's a bit of hypocrisy at play here by the West. It's not - it's not at all and the word 'WEST' is the key here. We can't mark every tragedy in the world because most of them have no meaning or a part in our lives. The ones that we do feel are because of proximity and shared values, compatible cultures, friendships and loyalties. There's a group of countries that get referred to as the 'West' that share all those attributes, so when 120 people are brutally murdered in Paris on a Friday night it will hit home harder to British, Irish, Spanish, Germans etc than say 130 children being murdered in Pakistan.

Turkey aren't part of the West - it's clear from what you and I have both written so when tragedies occur in that country, as awful as they are, we're not going to feel the same way about it so our reactions to both will be different. That's not hypocrisy.

Given that, it probably was not advisable to have a minute's silence in Turkey but if I understand correctly they are complaining that we don't acknowledge their dead soldiers. Christ on a bike, soldiers die all the time. This was 120 innocent civilians murdered in one fell swoop. You cannot compare the two and the Turks are being both stupid and unreasonable if they think it's comparable.

I don't think they're referring to soldiers Buzzer, I think they're referring to the 95 Turkish people killed and 250 injured in the recent suicide bomb attacks in Ankara. If the explanation I was given is to be believed the Turkish supporters were in their own cack handed way identifying with the victims of the Paris attacks.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

I wouldn't be surprised if is says something condemning ISIL. Remember similar looking flag at the Notting Hill Carnival last year causing a stir too?

Apparently the story was broken by Ahmad Mousavi, a journalist in Tehran who verified its authenticity. He said that the words had been changed at the bottom of the flag but the top and middle bits do say ISIS.

albionite

May 20, 2009
And I'm not sure that you read the article to the end.

No maybe I didn't on my phone and sometimes can't be arsed to go past the adverts, sorry for my laziness, but that ariticle. Is still incorrect as the sun accused millwall of singing seig and from what I remember they put a small ariticle in the paper a few days later apologising. I could be wrong but how I remember it.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
He accused us that the Seagulls chant was Seig Heil and that we were giving the nazi salute at the same time, when we were actually pointing at the corner flag because we'd won a corner. I was at that game, so I know what happened when.

A viewer heard 'Sea Sea Seasiders' but accused us of of the sheep shaggers chant. It was on tv, and the viewer rang in to complain. Again, Brighton fans were cleared of racist chanting.

First time I've heard the corner theory?! I'd assume he was commenting on the constant arm movement of the 'seagulls' chant rather than one specific incident of a corner?!

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Apparently the story was broken by Ahmad Mousavi, a journalist in Tehran who verified its authenticity. He said that the words had been changed at the bottom of the flag but the top and middle bits do say ISIS.
I thought they'd got it upside down and it actually says "nirpininp" which is an ancient Arabic insult/threat, roughly translated as "do you know who I am?!".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here