Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Today's the day...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Apple seem to have zero innovation these days....

A waterproof phone with a bigger battery and improved camera. (So bringing it inline with s7 edge then) And the game changer .... Wait for it...... No headphone socket.

Dire.

I don't follow phones any more, but I'd be interested in what you think have been recent innovations elsewhere. The only thing I heard about the Note 7 (and I didn't know there was a Note 7 until the product recall) for example was an exploding battery. That's pretty novel, I guess, but I'm not sure many people buy phones for others as a practical joke.

I guess I really don't follow smartphones much any more because I agree wholeheartedly with this post:

Ultimately the technology has hit a plateau and all the smartphones do BASICALLY the same thing.

When the Iphone first came out thje technology was moving SO QUICK that updates almost felt necessary. Not any more. My 4 year old phone still does everything I want it to.

With Bluetooth (car and home speakers), camera, Internet, Music, Phone, Whatsapp, Maps and Text I don't see what else I need.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
apple-iphone-6s-live-_0824.0.jpg

THIS launch though, will never be topped. Ladies and gentlemen, Apple invented...."The Pencil". Yours, for around £75.

Genuinly beyond parody.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I don't follow phones any more, but I'd be interested in what you think have been recent innovations elsewhere. The only thing I heard about the Note 7 (and I didn't know there was a Note 7 until the product recall) for example was an exploding battery. That's pretty novel, I guess, but I'm not sure many people buy phones for others as a practical joke.

I guess I really don't follow smartphones much any more because I agree wholeheartedly with this post:
You don't see the hype for other products though. A new Samsung release is just a run of the mill announcement. Apple make a bit song and dance about their products but they simply can't live up to that hype anymore.

There will always be something incredible and amazing on the horizon from a technology standpoint. I'm sure when people were using their Nokia's and Motorola's they didn't envisage or imagine anything like iPhone.

I think we just need the next Steve jobs / apple to come up with this innovation and release to the masses.....as it stands I've just lost faith in apple to do this at the moment ....

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
So £1,078 for the larger phone (similar spec to an LG G5 but no spare battery, worse camera, worse screen etc) with only half decent storage (non upgradeable) and headphones (that you should get for free).

As you say [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] . Mind, blown!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
You don't see the hype for other products though. A new Samsung release is just a run of the mill announcement. Apple make a bit song and dance about their products but they simply can't live up to that hype anymore.

There will always be something incredible and amazing on the horizon from a technology standpoint. I'm sure when people were using their Nokia's and Motorola's they didn't envisage or imagine anything like iPhone.

I think we just need the next Steve jobs / apple to come up with this innovation and release to the masses.....as it stands I've just lost faith in apple to do this at the moment ....

Indeed. But their alchemy certainly still works.

I mean, todays launch actually made the BBC NEWS tonight. What other organisation in the world can have a run-of-the-mill mediocre product launch which brings absolutely NOTHING new or innovative into the market - and yet still gets featured on a primetime worldwide news channel, as though they've just found a new cure for anal warts ?

You don't see SKODA on the news when they bring out a new "hot hatch". So how come Apple get this kind of coverage when they bring out a new overpriced phone that is (gasp) waterproof, and now needs either £120 bluetooth earphones (oh sorry, "airbuds"), or a shitty adapter for about £75 so you can still plug your old earphones in.

What an UNbeliveable crock of shit. And sure as eggs are eggs, you'll have queues of sheep overnight lining up for this crapola.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
now needs either £120 bluetooth earphones (oh sorry, "airbuds"), or a shitty adapter for about £75 so you can still plug your old earphones in.

1. £159.
2. The shitty adaptor is free and inside the box of each new iPhone.
3. Or, most simply, you just use the lightning earphones, also in the box with each new iPhone.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
A pretty decent phone, and I'd consider the 7+, but I'm looking forward to the new Nexus (Pixel) efforts which be showcased soon.

I wonder if Apple will manage to fix the home button on the 7, so you don't have to download the touchscreen home button? I swear that design fault has been there since the first iPhone!

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
So not much difference to the previous phones, except more expensive and waterproof. Apple keep reeling 'em in.
Stick to my Xperia thanks, made the change 2 years ago, does everything my 5 did, less restricted and alot cheaper. Will happily never own an Apple product ever again

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
I'm sure Apple know what they are doing but I can't help but think they have missed a trick. One of the keys to convincing a lot of people to buy a new iPhone is making it look really different from the previous one. They have done this before and seen a spike in sales, this often coincided with offering a larger screen size though TBF. The look and screen size have remained pretty much the same bar a couple of very minor tweaks through the 6, 6S and 7 iterations. So really anyone with a 6 onwards has little incentive to upgrade unless they have trashed their current phone.

I have a 6 Plus, it still looks brand new, the battery is fine, and its lightning fast. I get pretty much the full benefits of the latest OS updates (running iOS 10 beta at the moment fine). I can't see a sensible reason to buy a 7.

A bolder new look phone might tempt many and would make older models appear outdated. Also in respect of the 'Plus' minimising the bezel size to reduce the phone closer to the size of the screen so it fits in a pocket more comfortably would be a significant improvement. Neither proposed for the 7.

I like the idea of earphones running on a wireless connection. I have Bluetooth headphones at the moment- I imagine a wireless connection might be better quality and more consistent. Apple's version might be £150 but I'm sure some much cheaper versions will appear on the market very quickly!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

:lolol:

Excellent put down

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm sure Apple know what they are doing but I can't help but think they have missed a trick. One of the keys to convincing a lot of people to buy a new iPhone is making it look really different from the previous one.

Jet black and shiny my friend. I'll stand out from the crowd don't you worry.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Don't buy one, save money and impress your friends by simply writing-
Sent from my I phone 7 at the bottom of each email........ :p

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
A phone that costs the same as 4 and half Xbox Ones? Is the technology 4 and a half times better? No screen obviously but £900? I have never understood where the money goes in these high end phones or what the need is. I have just bought a £30 delivered Android box that can play most 3D games available. Again, obviously no screen but all that extra money? My £100 Lumia would seem to be able to do all the things that 95-99% of people want to do - dual sim, 4G, half decent camera, decent battery life, all the major apps. A bit like the Pogba/Stevens debate - no way is the most expensive new iPhone 9 times better than the Lumia.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
A phone that costs the same as 4 and half Xbox Ones? Is the technology 4 and a half times better? No screen obviously but £900? I have never understood where the money goes in these high end phones or what the need is. I have just bought a £30 delivered Android box that can play most 3D games available. Again, obviously no screen but all that extra money? My £100 Lumia would seem to be able to do all the things that 95-99% of people want to do - dual sim, 4G, half decent camera, decent battery life, all the major apps. A bit like the Pogba/Stevens debate - no way is the most expensive new iPhone 9 times better than the Lumia.

Agreed.

However, as I've posted before, this debate only seems to surface when a new iPhone comes out. For some reason people didn't seem bothered that the new Samsung phones cost...

Galaxy S7 (32gb) - £569
Galaxy S7 edge (32gb) - £639
Note 7 (64gb) - £699 - £749

So, comparable prices yet no "Apple tax" in there. The other difference, of course, is that in a year or two that iPhone can be resold for significantly more than the Samsung phone because Apple products hold their value very well.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yer you'll stand out from the crowd with the millions of others that will buy this phone......

A good point. But I will have a brief window of opportunity to stand out when the phone is first sold. And after this I'll simply surround myself with lesser people; PM me and we can hook up.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Agreed.

However, as I've posted before, this debate only seems to surface when a new iPhone comes out. For some reason people didn't seem bothered that the new Samsung phones cost...

Galaxy S7 (32gb) - £569

So, comparable prices yet no "Apple tax" in there. The other difference, of course, is that in a year or two that iPhone can be resold for significantly more than the Samsung phone because Apple products hold their value very well.
Do they not hold their value very well because the few that remain working become collectors items?!

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Agreed.

Galaxy S7 (32gb) - £569

Was more a comment on all high end phones but Apple get this because of the ridiculous hype when they make announcements. It was justified when they were innovating but that seemed to stop a few generations ago and they now try and sell copies of rival's innovations as ground breaking. Or new features that their rivals don't bother copying.

They will sell shed loads and people will be happy with their purchases so it makes no odds. But I have had two iPhones and one iPad and just don't see what the fuss is about. Especially when support for the older models seems to be dropped relatively quickly. But since my 3GS, I haven't had a personal phone that cost more than £100 so I'm not the target audience.

ropey9

Feb 25, 2009
Agreed.

Galaxy S7 (32gb) - £569

All a scam, Motorola has raised the bar, the Moto G series (now on V4) is a bloody awesome phone, has everything you can possibly need, looks and feels great and comes in between £140 -- £200 dependent on model. I've the V3 and its much better (IMO) then the wife's iPhone 6s, my eldest has just had the Moto G4 (latest) (£129 - with voucher code) from appliance direct delivered and its a super phone (its also waterproof :))

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I'm going to wait on this one. Think I'll keep my 6 for another year and go sim only for the next 12 months as I can make a pretty big saving on my existing contract. I'll look at the 7 next year after all the reviews are in. Not entirely sure the new features are really ones that I would take advantage of.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here