Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Euro 2016 - Skalak Question

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
As much as I'll be willing him on, I'd be amazed if they get out of their group. Spain, Turkey and Croatia have a lot more quality throughout.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I take it you are being ironic?

Do you mean our Goal Of The Season scorer?
Come on chaps the post even comes straight after 2 saying he might be in the Premier League next season, you know the drill.

Skalak can't cross.
Dunk can't play without a whoopsie.
Kayal is shitehouse.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Someone has to score the goal that knocks us out... If it's anyone, I'd prefer it to be Jiri. By the way, he's described on the Guardian website as the Czech Republic's "Maverick". Cn't help but feel that next season, having settled in a bit more, he'll be huge in the Championship.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I'm expecting to see him performs well at the Euros, and it will be a moment I'll be proud to be a Brighton supporter

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Hope Jiri has a great tournament and scores some memorable goals. Against England? Hope not but if he does fair play to him.
I don't think I would celebrate but would be pleased for him.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
If he gets on the pitch he'll probably get sent off for being too happy.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I'd feel pleased for the guy but I certainly wouldn't cheer. When would you cheer for an opposition's goal? :lol: (your antipathy towards England notwithstanding)

Well, this. If we were going to lose to them I would wish the goal to him.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
If England can't beat the Czech Republic they deserve to go out, simple as. If Jiri scores the winner I wouldn't cheer, I would laugh my head off!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Can't believe the OP. Jiri has been a Brighton player for only 6 months and in a couple of years could be playing for one of our rivals. I was born an Englishman and became an Albion fan when I was 13. If Jiri scored the winner against England, I would be pleased for him, eventually. But at that moment I would hope he would miss.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Yeah, but he wouldn't be scoring for Brighton ???

yes, this. bit of odd thought process: club before country, so any club player playing for their country trumps own country. :mad:

it follows Frutos wouldnt cheer an England goal by a Palace player, and taking this to its conclusion, any England player at any other club that our are opponents or sometime rival. seem like its easier to just say one doesnt support England.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
yes, this. bit of odd thought process: club before country, so any club player playing for their country trumps own country. :mad:
Yep.

it follows Frutos wouldnt cheer an England goal by a Palace player, and taking this to its conclusion, any England player at any other club that our are opponents or sometime rival. seem like its easier to just say one doesnt support England.
Indeed.

England on the verge of winning the world cup, Brighton player scores a brace against us and we lose - Frutos cheers!

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
A friend of mine asked this hypothetical question on Facebook and I thought it would be interesting to see NSC's view:

- If, at some point in Euro 2016, England play the Czech Republic and it comes to pass that Jiri Skalak scores the winner, would you celebrate it?

For me, probably yes. I didn't choose where I was born but I did choose to support the Albion. Club over country every time.

No I wouldn't celebrate it. Club before country, yes. But it wouldn't be Brighton playing England would it?

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
As much as I'll be willing him on, I'd be amazed if they get out of their group. Spain, Turkey and Croatia have a lot more quality throughout.

I don't think Turkey or Croatia are any better than the Czech Republic. Expect all the games in that group to be extremely tight. Can see Spain winning the group but the other three are pretty interchangeable for me. Saying that, I'm not sure if Spain are the untouchable gods of old. The spine of that awesome 2010/12 team is gone. Think all 3 teams are capable of taking points off them.

If I had to predict that group it would be;

Spain beat Turkey & Czech Republic. Draw with Croatia.
Croatia beat Turkey, draw with Czech Republic & Spain
Chezch Republic beat Turkey, draw with Croatia & lose to Spain.
Turkey lose all 3 games narrowly. Finish with a GD of -4

Spain 7
Croatia 5
Czech 4
Turkey 0

Czech Republic to qualify as one of the best 3rd place teams.

*awaita for post to be bounded when Spain smash all of them 5-0 and CR finish bottom with a goal difference of -10.*

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
No that would be dumb!

If he scored the winner for BRIGHTON against England then I'd undoubtidly cheer but he'd be playing for a country I have no ties to at all.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
On the flip side, if that scenario DID happen, I reckon there would be a whole load of supporters who would boo him next season. Remember when Ronaldo went back to United after whichever tournament it was, the winker ;) He got pelters for ages.

Anyway, I'm amazed people think England will get out of the group :dunce: :jester:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
On the flip side, if that scenario DID happen, I reckon there would be a whole load of supporters who would boo him next season. Remember when Ronaldo went back to United after whichever tournament it was, the winker ;) He got pelters for ages.

What Ronaldo did was a gazillion times worse. He cheated to get an England player sent off, and a club team mate to boot. Just shows what a ****ing great CJTC he really is. If Skalak scored a winner against England I can't imagine him getting any grief for it from Brighton fans to be honest.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here