Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
Hans

tumblr_inline_ovv3w7zDlA1s50qig_540.gif

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
It was one of Steve Seagals lesser known films.
Even Rotten Tomatos wouldn't touch it :shootself

My best ever was...Noddy DOES Big Ears in Toyland........It really is a Classic!! the 2 of them bond so well together......Most of the film is very clever "one to one" acting, Mr Plod does make the occasional appearance, but in his own words he does prefer the Dogging scenes....... and to be fair when "Bumpy Dog gets going.....he really is amazing!!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

I always struggle to reconize outstanding individual performances when a film is as dreadful as Schindler’s List was.
I’m totally with Kubrick on his take on the film. Spielberg can’t even show any Jewish prisoners as anything other than just extras.

Kubrick :

“Think that was about the Holocaust? That was about success, wasn’t it? The Holocaust is about six million people who get killed. Schindler’s List was about six hundred people who don’t.”

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Tom Hanks in Captain Phillips
Edward Norton in American History X
James McAvoy in Split
Jack Nicholson in OFOTCN
Anthony Hopkins in Silence of the lambs
Gary Oldman in Leon

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I always struggle to reconize outstanding individual performances when a film is as dreadful as Schindler’s List was.
I’m totally with Kubrick on his take on the film. Spielberg can’t even show any Jewish prisoners as anything other than just extras.

Kubrick :

“Think that was about the Holocaust? That was about success, wasn’t it? The Holocaust is about six million people who get killed. Schindler’s List was about six hundred people who don’t.”

I think Spielberg tried to show what happened. He is a Jew after all. For me it was a film that showed the horror of what happened. That quote seems very unkind and wrong. Spielberg showed events as they unfolded that was and is shown now as a testament against evil

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Kevin Bacon in the Woodsman - played the part of a paedophile with real empathy and intelligence. A very thought provoking film.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
My best ever was...Noddy DOES Big Ears in Toyland........It really is a Classic!! the 2 of them bond so well together......Most of the film is very clever "one to one" acting, Mr Plod does make the occasional appearance, but in his own words he does prefer the Dogging scenes....... and to be fair when "Bumpy Dog gets going.....he really is amazing!!

Wow, sounds like a critique out of Barry Normans book :laugh:
I did take a look at Wikipedia, and it's full of innuendo!

Big Ears*is a fictional character from*Noddy*series books by*Enid Blyton. In*Noddy Goes to Toyland*he introduces himself as a*brownie*"or a sort of a hob, or*hobgoblin". He explains that though he "hobnobbed" with Noddy who lived in Toytown, he lived in the "hilly, lumpy, bumpy part of town outside of town". He describes his ears as too big, and his striped trousers with the cap which was "either too pointy or not pointy enough".[2]*Together with his brother Little-Ears, he is the only non toy in Toyland and Noddy's helper and father-figure. He is described as having a white beard, red cap, blue jacket, red-and-white striped jumper and yellow-and-green trousers.[1]*His catchphrase is "You funny little Noddy!"

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Kubrick :

Also Kubrick entrusted him to AI. His baby. Can't see him saying this. Got any proof ?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Agreed gary Oldman as Churchill was magnificent.
Another vote for Nicholson on OFOTCN. When I went to see it on Oxford in 1976, the whole audience stood up and clapped at the end.
Orson Welles in The Third Man.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Not forgetting the classic British kitchen sink drama performances of
Laurence Harvey : Room at the Top
Simone Signoret : Room at the Top
Tom Courtney : The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
Albert Finney: Saturday Night Sunday Morning
Richard Harris : This Sporting Life

Last edited:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I think Spielberg tried to show what happened. He is a Jew after all. For me it was a film that showed the horror of what happened. That quote seems very unkind and wrong. Spielberg showed events as they unfolded that was and is shown now as a testament against evil

Its kitsch Uncle. It loses any power as a serious piece about the holocaust because it’s about Schindler and his epiphany - the child in red - and the portrayal of Goeth as a one dimensional psychopath, whereas that sort of evil is rarely as unclothed as Fiennes portrays. Where the evil is hidden as with people like Mengelin or even Goerbils you get a truer depiction of the dangers of what mans inhumanity to man is capable of.
I must add I think Steven Spielberg’s has made some great films but in my opinion SL isn’t one of them.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
James Stewart in The Rope. The denoument is devastating.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Paddy Considine is top notch in Dead Man's Shoes.

Quite possibly the most powerful and threatening use of the C word ever committed to film.

Can I vote for a double double? Pacino and De Niro in Godfather II closely followed by Heat.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here