Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This crossing should look familiar to many of you:-

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
[MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION], hire yourself a shot blaster and then get your friendly mechanic to spray the frame.

Now, time for some ramblings.

Every ride feels like a 'rehab' ride now. Good news is my sternum ain't painful now on full inhalation, so that must have been an infection that sorted itself. Bad news, gravity is still funking with me. I've noticed a shite overall cadence so am going to work on that in the hope it'll help me get up the hills. This morning I tried to keep it 85ish, so dropped gears more often. The last few miles were pathetic but I'll take that as it must mean I had been pushing my comfort zone. Maybe I'll not be trying to keep up with the miserable fukka on the next REMF ride after all?

I'm still on my squared off rear tyre.

Had a car tyre repaired yesterday. Never seen it done before. Why can't we do that with bike tyres?. Wouldn't half lengthen tyre life.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
For all you Sportive riders, can I just commend Audaxing to the house.

I did the 'Autumn Tints' one today along with lots of fellow club riders, our own and some other clubs too. For your £7 entry, the organisers laid on food and drink at the start, a checkpoint half way round and also at the finish.

Today we had perfect weather, friendly riders, nice route and more good food and drink than the cost of entry. What's not to like!? :rave:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Quick question.

Anyone know why Campag's new 11 speed Centaur groupset has such limited availability? None of the major online retailers are selling it as a groupset, only as individual parts.

It was launched back in May but it still seems to be very much under the radar. I'm curious as to why.

I'm building up a new aliminium winter/commuter frame and want to put Centaur on it, but a bit put off at how quiet everything is around it. Can't justify the stretch to Potenza and don't want to go with now old 10 speed Veloce.

Any advice, and I'm mainly looking at you SB, appreciated. Thanks.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Quick question.

Anyone know why Campag's new 11 speed Centaur groupset has such limited availability? None of the major online retailers are selling it as a groupset, only as individual parts.

It was launched back in May but it still seems to be very much under the radar. I'm curious as to why.

I'm building up a new aliminium winter/commuter frame and want to put Centaur on it, but a bit put off at how quiet everything is around it. Can't justify the stretch to Potenza and don't want to go with now old 10 speed Veloce.

Any advice, and I'm mainly looking at you SB, appreciated. Thanks.

I'll hazard a guess it's because it's 'new', and they're Italians! :rolleyes:
The 11 speed Centaur was only launched in the Summer as a replacement for 10 speed Veloce, so 'summer' may well have rolled into Autumn, when the factories coffee breaks might be shorter. #nationalstereotypeprofiling.

I have this, and am well happen with it, esp the brakes.
When I was looking this discount regularly fluctuated I think I got it with 35% off bringing it down to less than £400 (I bet that maths doesn't work out) so I'd hold off for a few days, if it's current price is at 27%, just to see what happens.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/..._dc|pcrid|161846734999|pkw||pmt||prd|508433UK

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'll hazard a guess it's because it's 'new', and they're Italians! :rolleyes:
The 11 speed Centaur was only launched in the Summer as a replacement for 10 speed Veloce, so 'summer' may well have rolled into Autumn, when the factories coffee breaks might be shorter. #nationalstereotypeprofiling.

I have this, and am well happen with it, esp the brakes.
When I was looking this discount regularly fluctuated I think I got it with 35% off bringing it down to less than £400 (I bet that maths doesn't work out) so I'd hold off for a few days, if it's current price is at 27%, just to see what happens.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/..._dc|pcrid|161846734999|pkw||pmt||prd|508433UK

Thanks.

It hadn't occurred to me that May was the press release date and not the general public release for the new Centaur. Maybe I'll have to be patient and wait for a better roll out.

I think you're spot on with the Athena recommendation. It certainly seems to be the sweet spot for value and performance. Unfortunately, it's the cassette range of the new Centaur (and Potenza) that attracts me as much as anything. I really want a semi compact 52/36 with an 11/29. I know from the Sram compact 50/34 on the other bike that 12-27 will leave me a tad short uphill as I just changed that cassette up to a 28.

As for the brakes. The new frame was bought specifically for mudguard fittings and clearance and as such is supposed to require long drop brakes. So if I buy the new Campag groupset whole, unless I'm very lucky and they reach, I'll have to sell on the brakes anyway, sadly.
I'm doing a lot of site hoping to see if I can buy the Centaur group individually as cheap as buying the whole groupset in one hit, but not having too much luck so far with things at the right price being in stock.

Oh, and another question, seeing as you've used a German discount site before. Have you ever bought from Bike 24? They are currently coming up cheapest of the very very few sites currently selling the new Centaur groupset.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thanks.

It hadn't occurred to me that May was the press release date and not the general public release for the new Centaur. Maybe I'll have to be patient and wait for a better roll out.

I think you're spot on with the Athena recommendation. It certainly seems to be the sweet spot for value and performance. Unfortunately, it's the cassette range of the new Centaur (and Potenza) that attracts me as much as anything. I really want a semi compact 52/36 with an 11/29. I know from the Sram compact 50/34 on the other bike that 12-27 will leave me a tad short uphill as I just changed that cassette up to a 28.

As for the brakes. The new frame was bought specifically for mudguard fittings and clearance and as such is supposed to require long drop brakes. So if I buy the new Campag groupset whole, unless I'm very lucky and they reach, I'll have to sell on the brakes anyway, sadly.
I'm doing a lot of site hoping to see if I can buy the Centaur group individually as cheap as buying the whole groupset in one hit, but not having too much luck so far with things at the right price being in stock.

Oh, and another question, seeing as you've used a German discount site before. Have you ever bought from Bike 24? They are currently coming up cheapest of the very very few sites currently selling the new Centaur groupset.
Nope, this is the only German company I've used, and was very happy with the service:-

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/campagnolo

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
On another note, anyone got a Wahoo Elemnt? My Garmin 305 died around Xmas time (when my Strava updates stopped) and considering the Elemnt Bolt (don't think I need the big daddy Elemnt). Anyone got one, know someone with one, etc... and able to warn/recommend?

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
On another note, anyone got a Wahoo Elemnt? My Garmin 305 died around Xmas time (when my Strava updates stopped) and considering the Elemnt Bolt (don't think I need the big daddy Elemnt). Anyone got one, know someone with one, etc... and able to warn/recommend?

Hi, I'm a bolt user. I bought one after riding the Leith Hill Octopus this summer with a pal. I was using the massively unreliable Leztne super gps. I love my bolt. Good nav, good pairing of sensors, easy wifi uploads. The downsides which I overlook are black/white screen and I can't find a wahoo website to view my data. I consequently view my data on strava or rwgps.

The nav gives good turn by turn if the route is created on rwgps. However if the route is created on strava it is only a breadcrumb overlay onto a map. I generate road rides on rwgps. I generate mtb rides using the "follow popular tracks" feature on strava.

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
Hi all, I'm feeling a bit misled by a some marketing on a bike related purchase. I won't bother doing anything about it, but would appreciate some thoughts.
I rode to work near to London Bridge and parked my bicycle in its own locked cupboard as always. I had a last minute change of plan for the way home and needed to visit a company near Piccadilly for an hour or 2. Hmm, "I'll need to buy a lock", I thought. So, off to Evans to invest in a carryable lock. To my delight I found one which gave £1,000 guarantee that it wouldn't bust. Yes, that'll do. Oh ok, I will need to register.

All went well and I got home and set about registering. Ah, I'd need to pay £10 per annum to register. So, in fact this lock gives me the opportunity of buying insurance. Humph, I thought it would be a freebie.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Hi, I'm a bolt user. I bought one after riding the Leith Hill Octopus this summer with a pal. I was using the massively unreliable Leztne super gps. I love my bolt. Good nav, good pairing of sensors, easy wifi uploads. The downsides which I overlook are black/white screen and I can't find a wahoo website to view my data. I consequently view my data on strava or rwgps.

The nav gives good turn by turn if the route is created on rwgps. However if the route is created on strava it is only a breadcrumb overlay onto a map. I generate road rides on rwgps. I generate mtb rides using the "follow popular tracks" feature on strava.

Re Black and white screen: I'm going from a ~12 year old Edge 305, which has a really small B/W screen. The Bolt has got to be an improvement over that. I also kinda like B/W screens as they're easier to see in bright light
Re Viewing Data: I always use Strava to view my data.

May well have to look at rwgps.

Thanks for the info. Looks like I know what I'll be buying myself for Xmas.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here