Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

gus poyet

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Yes....a lot of Gus fans still pay no heed to that.
He was talking to Reading well before the end of the season and had more than one meeting with them. Everything had been verbally agreed, hands shaken and Gus told Reading he would speak to TB. Reading were so confident of securing his services that they called the players together, after training, and told them who the next manager was going to be.
Gus returned to Brighton, played his Reading card and tried to hold TB to ransom. i.e " I'm off unless there is a better deal on the table for me here " Reading were expecting him back the next day to sign the contract but got suspicious that they were pawns in a bigger game and withdrew their offer immediately.
During some of the most important weeks in our clubs history and with a great chance of winning promotion to the PL, our manager wasn't fully committed and we all missed a great opportunity. Is it any wonder that TB found his behaviour totally unacceptable.

Not how I heard it.......

I understood club were aware of approach, Poyet listened to Reading and turned them down.

Poyet then went on holiday.....

Agree re Vicente, see my post above.

I guess we'll never know for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Yes....a lot of Gus fans still pay no heed to that.
He was talking to Reading well before the end of the season and had more than one meeting with them. Everything had been verbally agreed, hands shaken and Gus told Reading he would speak to TB. Reading were so confident of securing his services that they called the players together, after training, and told them who the next manager was going to be.
Gus returned to Brighton, played his Reading card and tried to hold TB to ransom. i.e " I'm off unless there is a better deal on the table for me here " Reading were expecting him back the next day to sign the contract but got suspicious that they were pawns in a bigger game and withdrew their offer immediately.
During some of the most important weeks in our clubs history and with a great chance of winning promotion to the PL, our manager wasn't fully committed and we all missed a great opportunity. Is it any wonder that TB found his behaviour totally unacceptable.
What did he say "It's only Reading" or something like that, as by way of an explanation?

:nono:

Oct 25, 2003
he won't get a job in the top division after flopping at Sunderland. A championship side with a decent budget may take him on. Either that or he'll go down the Sven Goran Eriksson route and just whore himself out to anyone who'll offer him a job

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I loved our time under him at Withdean and the first two Amex years.

Given how much he achieved at the club, it takes a special kind of ability to be so unpopular with the fans.

But Gus has managed it. As many have said, he thought he was bigger than the club......

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
This tiresome crap again. I loved our era under Gus on the pitch that is.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Not how I heard it.......

I understood club were aware of approach, Poyet listened to Reading and turned them down.

Poyet then went on holiday.....

Agree re Vicente, see my post above.

I guess we'll never know for sure.

I believe MG has inside info from the Reading end of the deal, and wouldn't be so quick to doubt what he posted.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Once he truly believed that he was bigger than the club it was always going to end badly. Shame he showed absolutely no dignity as it unravelled.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Once he truly believed that he was bigger than the club it was always going to end badly. Shame he showed absolutely no dignity as it unravelled.

Yes, sums it up perfectly.

That whole list match thing and subsequent media circus afterwards, just undid all the good memories......

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
To me Gus epitomises everything what has gone wrong with football, the game is second to the money by a very long way. I don't subscribe to the hate him or love him as there were some good times when we played excellent football and that soured , but it does not (should not) erase them

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
I think personality and ego played a part, but I think the most significant aspect was that he never had a Plan B or C.

He wanted his teams to pass the ball into the net, whatever the situation. That worked in League 1, but the better sides in the Championship were able to close us down. If you look at the side he had that got to the Play-Offs, it was arguably better than we had last season.

If CH had been our manager 5 years ago, he would have got us promoted by March.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Personally I'm not a fan of slagging ex managers off after their time at the club has come to an end. I wasn't the biggest fan of Poyet's when he was here, and he did leave under a cloud but he's always been positive about the Albion since he left and I hope he finds some success somewhere else. Same for Garcia as well, especially as he frequently talked about how he likes the club and the city. At the end of the day they did a job for the club, and we had some good times under the leadership. The only people I can think of who perhaps deserve some negativity and were ex seagulls, are Mickey Thomas, John Gregory and Leon Knight who criticised the club after leaving in a totally unnecessary fashion.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
This is, of course, utter horss shit that the Gus lovers come up with.

Our entire style of play was built to suit Glenn. That's why it took about 3 months of the CMS experiment to see we'd cocked up.

lol, its plain as day that Gus wanted to change some of the style, otherwise why go for such a massively different player in CMS? yep, it didnt work as well as hoped. it wasnt case of simply not settling in at Palace, it was a whole season Murray only scored 6 goals. Buckley had scored more, we finished above Palace, so in summer of 2012 it didnt look like a mistake. i couldn't say what changed in 2012/13 for it to work for Murray, but he had a superb form for half a season, then second half had only half dozen or so goals. i'm not a Murray hater (or a Gus lover), just this is not evidence of a "reliable goal scorer".

Last edited:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Personally I'm not a fan of slagging ex managers off after their time at the club has come to an end. I wasn't the biggest fan of Poyet's when he was here, and he did leave under a cloud but he's always been positive about the Albion since he left and I hope he finds some success somewhere else. Same for Garcia as well, especially as he frequently talked about how he likes the club and the city. At the end of the day they did a job for the club, and we had some good times under the leadership. The only people I can think of who perhaps deserve some negativity and were ex seagulls, are Mickey Thomas, John Gregory and Leon Knight who criticised the club after leaving in a totally unnecessary fashion.

What did Mickey Thomas do wrong, I can't remember.

I'd throw in Bridcutt, blooming refusing to play......

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Edited: In reply to One Teddy Maybank

After he left he often remarked what a mistake it had been joining Brighton and how he hated his time here. In fairness to him I don't think he actually said he disliked the club like Leon Knight did, so maybe its a bit unfair of me to lump them together.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Edited: In reply to One Teddy Maybank

After he left he often remarked what a mistake it had been joining Brighton and how he hated his time here. In fairness to him I don't think he actually said he disliked the club like Leon Knight did, so maybe its a bit unfair of me to lump them together.

Thanks [MENTION=13923]carlzeiss[/MENTION] post also helped. I think you're entirely justified in putting him on the list

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here