Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shoreham airport.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As a holder of a PPL I can comment on this.

Big issue with Shoreham is there is no ILS (instrument landing system) which means as soon as there is a bit of low cloud it makes an approach near on impossible. The only instruments at shoreham are an (NDB) non direction beacon and DME (distance measuring equipment.

NDB's are tricky to rely upon and their accuracy is even more questionable near a coast line.

The approach to shoreham is typically (in a south or south westerly wind) is from the north. Visually this is easy as you simply do a left at the top of Truliegh Hill and have your final approach pretty much along the river.

In crap visibility tho you could find yourself smashing into the downs or taking out Lancing college.

I've also thought about the viability of a charter service from Shoreham and the maths works. Something like an ATR72 with 70 odd seats (turbo prop) would be cheap enough to charter and would still make Newcastle in 2 hours.

Assuming 2/3 full a ticket price of about £100 would break even.

But. You still need to be able to virtually guarantee a landing. Diversions to alternates like SOT or LGW would be very expense and make it a non starter

At last somebody comes up with an accptable answer unlike the rubbish of who stands up etc thank you.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
What was the plane that used to fly to either Jersey or Guernsey not sure which it was? that must have been 25 seater plus to make it viable I would have thought.

18 seats

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britten-Norman_Trislander

Visual references when on 20 LH are to aim for the A27 road tunnels on the downwind leg and then turn towards the cement works chimney for base. 02 is not so easy as you will be out over the channel.

Good restaurants, Transair, and you might be followed in by a Trislander from the Channel Islands or a bizjet!

http://ukga.com/airfield/shoreham/reviews

At last somebody comes up with an accptable answer unlike the rubbish of who stands up etc thank you.

That is the last time I try and help you, you miserable old scrote.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
They fly from Southampton for away games.

If true (and I'm not suggesting it isn't) that seems like a complete waste of time to me.

It can take the best part of 2 hrs to get there (admittedly usually less), then presumably they are in the airport for a couple of hours before flying, plus the hour or so on the plane, then getting to the hotel the other side. Surely only Newcastle would be a longer drive. I appreciate that walking around the airport etc keeps them a bit fresher than sitting on a coach for 5 hrs but still...

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea
I spoke to Liam Rosenior on the way up to Birmingham game and he said about this. I think this is what they're planning to do if we get promoted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I spoke to Liam Rosenior on the way up to Birmingham game and he said about this. I think this is what they're planning to do if we get promoted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seems odd as the distances are hardly any greater in the PL and the previous commercial routes used 19 seat planes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brighton_City_Airways

It seems like some planes can use the short runway but all seems a bit risky to my untrained eye. I'm sure the nervous flyers in the team would be delighted taking a scarf and goggles job.

theboybilly

With the report from the airshow crash finally to be published this Friday, I had assumed this was what the thread would be about. The last service attempted from Shoreham was to Paris and I think from memory this was a 12 seater. I suspect that the runway isn't big enough for a thirty seater.

Is that the Paris service that actually took you to a remote airfield about 30 miles from the City Centre which was served by one train per day, and even then wouldn't get you to Paris before midnight? No wonder it didn't er, take off.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If true (and I'm not suggesting it isn't) that seems like a complete waste of time to me.

It can take the best part of 2 hrs to get there (admittedly usually less), then presumably they are in the airport for a couple of hours before flying, plus the hour or so on the plane, then getting to the hotel the other side. Surely only Newcastle would be a longer drive. I appreciate that walking around the airport etc keeps them a bit fresher than sitting on a coach for 5 hrs but still...

When we fly, we charter a plane. There is very little waiting at the airport. Still better to do this than sat on a coach for 4-6 hours

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Why we don't repeat this (with a current airline), I can't imagine.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
When we fly, we charter a plane. There is very little waiting at the airport. Still better to do this than sat on a coach for 4-6 hours

Fair enough. I know a few years back that wasn't the case - we ended up on the same Gatwick-Newcastle flight as the squad when we played Middlesbrough under Poyet.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
21853968640_fc8dbe929d_z.jpg

October 2015

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cessna_CitationJet/M2

10 players only

Last edited:

Shorehamkid

Aug 3, 2011
Why we don't repeat this (with a current airline), I can't imagine.

Touch of the 'Spice Boys' about our attire that day! The presenter said that we took off from a local school, does anyone know which one? Thought it might have been Hove Park intially.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Seems odd as the distances are hardly any greater in the PL and the previous commercial routes used 19 seat planes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brighton_City_Airways

It seems like some planes can use the short runway but all seems a bit risky to my untrained eye. I'm sure the nervous flyers in the team would be delighted taking a scarf and goggles job.

Presume it would just be more financially viable in the prem.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
It was called a Tri(s)lander.

18 seats.

Slow (156kt)

And old (70's)

Affectionately referred to as The flying coffin ! because of the fusilage shape - I passed some flights siiting beside the pilot on row one in the early 80s when it was full !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here