Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
As another commuter to London I'd say people are adapting to the strikes and general cancellations now it's become the new normal. I can't speak for others, but I would have thought no one particularly likes either Godiva or the RMT, but can probably live with the occasional strikes we have now. Both sides are not willing to compromise - Godiva are obstinate, while the RMT seem vindictive towards the public. It would be a satisfying conclusion if they could both feel like they have lost, if there ever is a conclusion.

If the train drivers strike it will make a difference. The drivers and the guards could co-ordinate their strikes so that neither loses too much pay, but in a way that would cause the most harm to those who want to travel. That might make a difference and force a resolution.

Fair point on the drivers but I just can't see a resolution being forced now. Whilst no fan at all of SASTA, i think they will tough this out as they have effective government backing. We'll just get another new normal in time if the drivers walk out.

From what seems to me to be a position of reasonable support, the RMT have steadily eroded their position by making strikes more disruptive and gradually pissing off more and more members of the rail using public. I guess it's the only real weapon available to them but it shows how weak their position is.

I think guards do have a genuine case, but the RMT have progressively dismantled it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Fair point on the drivers but I just can't see a resolution being forced now. Whilst no fan at all of SASTA, i think they will tough this out as they have effective government backing. We'll just get another new normal in time if the drivers walk out.

From what seems to me to be a position of reasonable support, the RMT have steadily eroded their position by making strikes more disruptive and gradually pissing off more and more members of the rail using public. I guess it's the only real weapon available to them but it shows how weak their position is.

I think guards do have a genuine case, but the RMT have progressively dismantled it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agreed, their true colours/objectives came through in end. Safety my arse.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Was great yesterday Sadly couldnt go to Brizzle as had a work jolly at Wembley. Lovely 12.20 train to Victoria tube to Wembley got there at 2pm. Left the pub near Wembley at 8pm home by 9.30pm

Keep up the good work RMT #strikewhatstrike #workshy*******s

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
They would say it publicly. They almost have to. However these latest round of strikes are cynical and designed to cause maximum carnage TO ME AND THOUSANDS of others. Its always been about job protection but they wont admit it because then people will think well if you dont like it leave...after all thats how the modern world works.

And they wanted support from the public. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA not a chance you absolute cretins.

Was great yesterday Sadly couldnt go to Brizzle as had a work jolly at Wembley. Lovely 12.20 train to Victoria tube to Wembley got there at 2pm. Left the pub near Wembley at 8pm home by 9.30pm

Keep up the good work RMT #strikewhatstrike #workshy*******s

One day you'll make your mind up. Possibly.

VAL1850

Nov 22, 2008
Beachy Head & WSU
BBC local news saying that 96% of guards have signed up to new deal - No detail given behind this Southern statement - but does this mean light at end of tunnel??

Cant believe it is as straight forward as this or they would have made more news about it

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
BBC local news saying that 96% of guards have signed up to new deal - No detail given behind this Southern statement - but does this mean light at end of tunnel??

Cant believe it is as straight forward as this or they would have made more news about it

Nope - as I understand they were basically forced into it as it was either 'sign up' or 'get fired'. Probably make the likelihood of even more strikes greater I would think - won't have improved relationships between the RMT/staff and SASTA, and of course there is still the 'safety' issue the RMT are SO worried about on our behalf.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
BBC local news saying that 96% of guards have signed up to new deal - No detail given behind this Southern statement - but does this mean light at end of tunnel?

Doubtful as the union advised its members to accept the offer a few weeks ago now. Since then they've not called off the planned strikes and then added the Christmas and NY days.

Think this is going to run and run. Good that ASLEF have called off their ballot although I'm not sure why?

Jan 30, 2008
After the OVERWHELMING ballot results strike dates are ....

SOUTHERN (GTR)
Our Ref: BR2/0146
19th April 2016
Dear Colleague
ROLE OF THE GUARD AND EXTENSION OF DOO – SOUTHERN (GTR)
Further to my previous correspondence with regards to the above matter and where I informed you of the magnificent results in the ballot for strike action and action short of a strike. First and foremost, I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate our members for returning an overwhelming Yes vote in favour of taking industrial action.
I can now advise you that your union’s National Executive Committee has again had the opportunity to consider this matter and believe that the only way to stop management introducing Driver Only Operation (DOO) that threatens your jobs, working conditions and public safety is by taking strike action.
Therefore, your union’s National Executive Committee has taken the decision to call on all our Southern (GTR) Conductor and Conductor Instructor grade members to take the following strike action:
Members are instructed not to book on for any turns of duty that commence between:
• 11.00 hours on Tuesday 26th April 2016 until 10.59 hours on Wednesday 27th April 2016
• 11.00 hours on Tuesday 10th May 2016 until 10.59 hours on Wednesday 11th May 2016
• 11.00 hours on Thursday 12th May 2016 until 10.59 hours on Friday 13th May 2016.
Once again, congratulations to all our Southern (GTR) Conductor and Conductor Instructor members for your show of strength and solidarity in this dispute.
UNITY IS STRENGTH
SUPPORT YOUR UNION – SUPPORT THE ACTION
Best wishes.
Mick Cash
General Secretary
SO MICK CASH IS YOUR BOSS, have a word with him:angry:
regards
DR

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Doubtful as the union advised its members to accept the offer a few weeks ago now. Since then they've not called off the planned strikes and then added the Christmas and NY days.

Think this is going to run and run. Good that ASLEF have called off their ballot although I'm not sure why?

No they haven't. Just been delayed by a week.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes

ASLEF are balloting today

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Yes, those of us on the lines that are not fit for DOO yet Southern want to force the roll out for.

I have always said there is a need to invest in this before it is rolled out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here