Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Pardew Gone

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I agree, but it is the same with the players who have been awful all season. They still get their huge paychecks with barely any dissent. I have no like for Pardew, but the manager can only do so much

Very true. Unless they get into a war with the fans which is rare (Jamie O'Hara), they get away almost scot free. If they're perceived as any good (Blunt, Dawson, Evans, Foster, Hegazi, Livermore), they move to PL clubs this summer on enhanced multi-£m contracts.

Welcome to 21st century English football.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
In an ideal world l would agree with you, but just how many English managers are their in the Premier League now? comparitiv ely few, furthermore how many of those are managing particularly successful clubs, and are high profile and well established? I think you will find it very short list indeed, if a 'list' can be found at all.

Because they're not good enough and CH is no where near experienced enough to be England manager.

If it's a tiny pool, I'm not xenophobic about this and don't mind if the England manager is a foreigner if they're good enough.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
In an ideal world l would agree with you, but just how many English managers are their in the Premier League now?
So pick a foreign manager then. We have a few younger English managers and one of them may be good enough in the future, but for now we should be looking abroad.

Invicta

NSC Patreon
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
As said before hopefully they get a reaction and a few points off the rest of the bottom half the still have to play.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
What a shame Pards won't be manager when they play Palace in the final game of the season. Actually, perhaps not so much of a shame.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Has more odious **** ever walked the football manager path? I don't think so!

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Has more odious **** ever walked the football manager path? I don't think so!

Certainly the most deluded and arrogant, when benchmarked against his glaring lack of talent and abilities.

From football hacks, they say he has two main selling points:
1. At job interviews he's great at selling himself and his vision, with an impressive drossier on potential players etc.
2. Football writers love him as he's very accessible and open.

Neither of which matter when he sends another team out to lose.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Give us your top three!

For being odious, unhelpful and arrogant, very few managers came anywhere near Alex Ferguson, who would simply refuse to talk to the written press if he didn't feel like it, especially at away games. Fair enough, we'd get some anodyne quotes from MUTV - but the people he was really blanking were our readers, many of whom would be Manchester United fans who might want some insight from the horse's mouth.

Kenny Dalglish was generally rude, boorish and seemed to enjoy trying to make writers look stupid. Not a difficult job, but not really what he was there for.

Mourinho. Used to be witty and original. Now just snide and defensive.

Strachan. Said a few things that people decided were quite witty so decided he was the world's funniest man. And that he didn't have to answer any questions seriously.

Hoddle. Arrogant? I was once phoned by one of his 'people' to be offered the great man's thoughts on whether he'd be interested in a certain management job. It gave me immense pleasure to tell the caller that I happened to know that he wasn't going to be offered it anyway. (When Sturrock went to Southampton).

Now you might say that these guys are entitled to have a high opinion of themselves (which is true, but so are people like Conte, Wenger, Ranieri, Ancelotti, Eriksson and many others and it doesn't prevent them being helpful and polite) but then there are the Graham Westleys and James Beatties ...

Wagner. Boy, is he pleased with himself.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Thanks for that. Not too many surprises there. Imagine Mr Clough was not the best to interview but presumably before your time!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
For being odious, unhelpful and arrogant, very few managers came anywhere near Alex Ferguson, who would simply refuse to talk to the written press if he didn't feel like it, especially at away games. Fair enough, we'd get some anodyne quotes from MUTV - but the people he was really blanking were our readers, many of whom would be Manchester United fans who might want some insight from the horse's mouth.

Kenny Dalglish was generally rude, boorish and seemed to enjoy trying to make writers look stupid. Not a difficult job, but not really what he was there for.

Mourinho. Used to be witty and original. Now just snide and defensive.

Strachan. Said a few things that people decided were quite witty so decided he was the world's funniest man. And that he didn't have to answer any questions seriously.

Hoddle. Arrogant? I was once phoned by one of his 'people' to be offered the great man's thoughts on whether he'd be interested in a certain management job. It gave me immense pleasure to tell the caller that I happened to know that he wasn't going to be offered it anyway. (When Sturrock went to Southampton).

Now you might say that these guys are entitled to have a high opinion of themselves (which is true, but so are people like Conte, Wenger, Ranieri, Ancelotti, Eriksson and many others and it doesn't prevent them being helpful and polite) but then there are the Graham Westleys and James Beatties ...

Wagner. Boy, is he pleased with himself.

I missed this a couple of years ago. It's an interesting read. What's particularly depressing is the people that Nick highlights as being friendly and helpful are all doing so in their second (or third language) while the Brits, who should have a linguistic advantage are the ones who are boorish. And is it coincidence that three of them are Scottish (and that's not mentioning George Burley)?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here