Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

2017/18 NSC player ratings collated

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Thanks very much for this. I think it is a reasonable representation of performances.

Yes Hemed is hard done by. There is too much expectation of the one up front striker and there is no way that we are going to be able to have the funds to buy a player who is going to impress in that role in this division. He works very hard and will score some goals. That is all we can ask for.

Hammer15

Apr 20, 2016
Montclair, NJ
Updated with Newcastle ratings.

Dunk still out in front with season average 7.69, March up slightly to 7.31 and Duffy now 6.99.

I'll probably give this thread a kick every month or so to look at the general trends, but mostly I'll update in the match-by-match rating threads.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Updated with Newcastle ratings.

Dunk still out in front with season average 7.69, March up slightly to 7.31 and Duffy now 6.99.

I'll probably give this thread a kick every month or so to look at the general trends, but mostly I'll update in the match-by-match rating threads.

You shouldn't be shy in bumping this after every game, including a link to the sheet.

There are a lot of lazy people who will miss your great work otherwise.

Hammer15

Apr 20, 2016
Montclair, NJ
Updated spreadsheet here, including the Arsenal game.

Dunk unsurprisingly still way out in front for the season and will probably keep that position for a while, even if he has a couple of stinkers.

I'm off on holiday the morning after the Everton game (yes I'm going on holiday etc etc) and probably won't get a chance to update the sheet for that game. So I expect the next update will be after the Southampton game on Oct 29, and that'll include Everton and West Ham games as well.

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
Great work. Love the idea and the dedication to get it done.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If only people didn't give ridiculously low ratings because they're pissed off at a result.
Indeed. I did laugh at the 2 that Rosenior got from one guy in the Bournemouth defeat.
So go for a median average instead of mean, for each game. Then mean average of all the games.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Updated spreadsheet here, including the Arsenal game.

Dunk unsurprisingly still way out in front for the season and will probably keep that position for a while, even if he has a couple of stinkers.

I'm off on holiday the morning after the Everton game (yes I'm going on holiday etc etc) and probably won't get a chance to update the sheet for that game. So I expect the next update will be after the Southampton game on Oct 29, and that'll include Everton and West Ham games as well.

Based on your data I've cracked out a quick and dirty chart of players' performances by game, which shows a distinct overall improvement as we've gone on. Bodes well!

Performance.jpg

Hammer15

Apr 20, 2016
Montclair, NJ
So go for a median average instead of mean, for each game. Then mean average of all the games.

Not a big fan of median averages for this, as it would tie all marks to the integer (or possibly half point) which I think is a bit brutal.

What I did consider was knocking off the two highest and two lowest marks, like how diving/gymnastics(?) is marked. But I haven't got the spreadsheet skillzzz for that. I'm mostly happy with how it is though... having the odd outlying mark is a fair reflection of NSC and broader Albion support. Unless I spot people deliberately trying to game the system, I'm going to leave it how it is for now.

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
Based on your data I've cracked out a quick and dirty chart of players' performances by game, which shows a distinct overall improvement as we've gone on. Bodes well!

View attachment 89962

Great chart. It shows that Knocky's struggled a bit in the last few matches though. Let's hope he bounces back after the international break.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not a big fan of median averages for this, as it would tie all marks to the integer (or possibly half point) which I think is a bit brutal.
It would just mean that each player gets a whole number or half number for each single game, but then they'd have a more specific mark over the course of the season. I can't see the problem with that.

What I did consider was knocking off the two highest and two lowest marks, like how diving/gymnastics(?) is marked.
Sounds good.
But I haven't got the spreadsheet skillzzz for that. I'm mostly happy with how it is though... having the odd outlying mark is a fair reflection of NSC and broader Albion support. Unless I spot people deliberately trying to game the system, I'm going to leave it how it is for now.
Fair enough.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We lost our first two games, we've done better since then - that's all you need to know that there will be a perceived overall improvement.

Not that I'm knocking your chart, which is nice.

Hammer15

Apr 20, 2016
Montclair, NJ
Aaaaand we're back. Latest spreadsheet here, with the last three games added.

To save upping three old match threads, I'll summarise here. You will notice a theme.

Everton (h)
MOM - Mat Ryan 8.35 - his second MOM in a row
2nd - Lewis Dunk 7.78
3rd - Shane Duffy 7.68
Worst - Glenn Murray 5.30

West Ham (a)
MOM - Shane Duffy 8.75 - highest score by anyone so far this season
2nd - Lewis Dunk 8.67
3rd - Davy Propper 8.29
Worst - well, for what it's worth it's Mat Ryan with 7.00, but by all accounts he had nothing to do. Bit harsh giving this award out for games like this...

Southampton (h)
MOM - Lewis Dunk 7.70
2nd - Shane Duffy 7.43
3rd - Pascal Gross 7.08
Worst - Anthony Knockaert 6.08

So, after 10 games, this is our leaderboard:
1st - Lewis Dunk 7.79
2nd - Solly March 7.32
3rd - Shane Duffy 7.27 (now hot on Solly's heels)

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
Whoscored has,

Shane Duffy 7.2
Pascal Gross 7.07
Hemed 7.02

Dunk in 4th with 7.00
Solly in 9th with 6.79

They really are surprisingly similar given we have blue/white specs on.

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
This is really great - who needs Neville and Carragher!

It'll make us think long and hard giving about those rating ratings on a Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon night - we have a responsibility!

I look forward to seeing how this plays out over the whole season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here