Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Views from a Birmingham supporter re Saturdays game.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We didn't lose from a winning position for the whole of last season.

Didn't win from a losing one either for a couple of seasons, but Oscar managed to put that bogey to bed within about 5 games by being positive.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Oscar's first two games were losing from a winning position!

So? He's got us more points and a higher position than we were at this stage last season even though we have been racked by injuries and he's a Championship rookie.

Are you ever gonna get into the Oscar or are you forever on the Gus bus?

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Didn't win from a losing one either for a couple of seasons, but Oscar managed to put that bogey to bed within about 5 games by being positive.

True and we have also managed to get a few points with late equalisers so that is a big positive.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
So? He's got us more points and a higher position than we were at this stage last season even though we have been racked by injuries and he's a Championship rookie.

Are you ever gonna get into the Oscar or are you forever on the Gus bus?

What does into the Oscar mean? We are one point down on last season.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

If you really need it explaining it means when are you going to embrace our new manager rather than finding a reason to keep preferring the Gus days.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm not sure Oscar would appreciate me embracing him. I haven't missed a home game yet, and done several away games. Am I enjoying it as much as last season? No, but I'm getting there. My mojo went completely at the beginning of the season but it is gradually returning although I am gutted about Barnes.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I'm not sure Oscar would appreciate me embracing him. I haven't missed a home game yet, and done several away games. Am I enjoying it as much as last season? No, but I'm getting there. My mojo went completely at the beginning of the season but it is gradually returning although I am gutted about Barnes.

Fair enough. I'm really enjoying the evolution and the fact that we seem to have more about our game and teams no longer find it easy to stop us playing. I found that so frustrating last season. Are we good enough to do as well as last season? With Barnes out and Bridcutt looking like he's on his way out, coupled with Crofts injury, possibly not. All depends on who we bring in, but. I am certainly enjoying watching us more this season even if we don't have as much possession, we are much less predictable.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

After 25 games last season, we had 37 points so two points up. I was a big fan of Gus but I have to say I doubt we'd be where we are now, with the injury problems we've had, with him in charge. Oscar has got on with the job very quietly and deserves a lot of credit.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Fair enough. I'm really enjoying the evolution and the fact that we seem to have more about our game and teams no longer find it easy to stop us playing. I found that so frustrating last season. Are we good enough to do as well as last season? With Barnes out and Bridcutt looking like he's on his way out, coupled with Crofts injury, possibly not. All depends on who we bring in, but. I am certainly enjoying watching us more this season even if we don't have as much possession, we are much less predictable.

Agree with this. I also get the impression that we're beginning to click and that Oscar's ideas are steadily working their way through. Without wanting to get too excitable, it took a while at Maccabi Tel Aviv, but things really kicked on towards the latter part of the season. I think I'm right in saying that we've only lost two in the last fifteen which is a pretty good run in anyone's books. This will be challenged, as it looks like our next four games will all be away from home.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
After 25 games last season, we had 37 points so two points up. I was a big fan of Gus but I have to say I doubt we'd be where we are now, with the injury problems we've had, with him in charge. Oscar has got on with the job very quietly and deserves a lot of credit.

Exactly this.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Here are some other views:

http://www.smallheathalliance.com/read.php?1,1457278

"They've got friendly, but boring fans. A smart, but boring ground. They're an inoffensive, but boring club."

"Boring ground, boring fans, boring club."

"It's a decent ground with good facilities but like loads of the new stadiums it has no soul and feels like it's in the middle of nowhere."

"I like Brighton, they're obviously a very friendly and pleasant bunch who deserve credit. But they seem way to inoffensive. Which means opposing fans might find Brighton a bit dull in the sense that they'll never do anything outrageous or hateful."

There are certain inner city clubs' fans some of whom will always regard Brighton and its fans as 'boring' because, essentially, they revel in coming from a gritty s##thole and hark back to the days when travelling away was a dangerous experience. See also Millwall, Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday. Leeds fans were quoted on the lines of ' we don't want to give fans a 'good day out''. It's the footie equivalent of inverted snobbery.

In contrast on Saturday, I bumped into an old bluenose work colleague I'd lost touch with who is the epitome of a dour Brummie, and he could not have been more delighted with our resurrection, the Stadium and the drinking in Lewes opportunity etc. etc.

PG

PS I don't remember Brum ever coming to the Withdean - that might have given them some perspective.

Jimmy Grimble

Judging by the 25 likes his post got, I can't be the only one who thought [MENTION=19076]AGT[/MENTION] was the Birmingham fan who had written the report.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here