Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] “The fight has gone out of Brighton”

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Excellent post. Totally agree

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

You do realise you're agreeing with a post indicating that pretty much the entire line-up needs changing, including -- and this is batsh!t mental -- Ryan. Most managers worth their salt want stability defensively. Goalkeepers cover very little distance in a game, and it's only their mental intensity that's challenged by numerous games, but managers especially want to have a goalkeeper and two CBs that know what each other's up to. This is why so few managers substitute CBs during a game, for instance. If you look at distance-covered stats, CBs probably cover the least amount of ground of the outfield players too, so this also calls into question why D&D need a rest; their partnership will only be broken by an injury or suspension.
That's not to say that more rotation isn't needed, especially those players that cover the greatest distance, but let's not go overboard.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Good point. Well, I guess Ben Roberts should advise, Krul or Maenpaa [poor guy, is he happy with the bronze medal?] ... but Ryan needs a break methinks.

Not sure about this. I don't think most clubs, particularly the top ones, do rotate their goalkeepers, do they? (I'm sure somebody can come up with stats to support or flame my point - it is just my impression of what I think happens).
I know there is mental tiredness as well as physical tiredness, but GKs don't run around as much as the rest, and continuity right at the back seems to be the preferred option. Seems to me that generally GKs only get dropped for injuries, severe and persistent loss of form (when they are often replaced rather than rotated) - and for mickey mouse cup matches, of course. I know Ryan dropped a bollock with thhe second goal yesterday, but he didn't cost us the match - and I reckon he has saved quite a few points for us.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
You do realise you're agreeing with a post indicating that pretty much the entire line-up needs changing, including -- and this is batsh!t mental -- Ryan. Most managers worth their salt want stability defensively. Goalkeepers cover very little distance in a game, and it's only their mental intensity that's challenged by numerous games, but managers especially want to have a goalkeeper and two CBs that know what each other's up to. This is why so few managers substitute CBs during a game, for instance. If you look at distance-covered stats, CBs probably cover the least amount of ground of the outfield players too, so this also calls into question why D&D need a rest; their partnership will only be broken by an injury or suspension.
That's not to say that more rotation isn't needed, especially those players that cover the greatest distance, but let's not go overboard.

Well, I didn't mean to rotate them all at the same time... that would be silly! Yes, I agree that coaches want stability at the back, and maybe they see in training that Ryan and the two Ds are still the better option - I dunno :shrug::shrug:

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Once/if we do get a striker with pace in January, then I would move Gross into midfield alongside Stephens. Proper seems to only ever show glimpses of class but doesn't ever seem to have much influence on the game. Yesterdays midfield performance was shocking. The best pass of the game for us was Dunk's cross field driven ball in the last 10 mins. If Gross was playing midfield, I do believe we would have a more potent midfield with Stephens playing the holding midfield role.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Once/if we do get a striker with pace in January, then I would move Gross into midfield alongside Stephens. Proper seems to only ever show glimpses of class but doesn't ever seem to have much influence on the game. Yesterdays midfield performance was shocking. The best pass of the game for us was Dunk's cross field driven ball in the last 10 mins. If Gross was playing midfield, I do believe we would have a more potent midfield with Stephens playing the holding midfield role.

Swapping Gross and Proper has been mentioned before. Certainly seems sensible to play Proper further forward where his passing can be more effective (as in more likely to lead to a goal scoring opportunity).

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Swapping Gross and Proper has been mentioned before. Certainly seems sensible to play Proper further forward where his passing can be more effective (as in more likely to lead to a goal scoring opportunity).

Although isn't Gross's record of assists pretty high up the charts? Even hardened PL pundits have noticed that.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Ryan is the last position we need to dick around with. He’s been almost faultless.

Murray has got a few goals but they’ve masked his lack of pace, constant niggly fouling and always being caught offside. He’s missed too many really good chances as well for a striker at this level. Not clinical enough.

Stephens and Propper are giving the ball away too much, but there is literally no competition for their places with Kayal not match fit and Sidwell miles away. We desperately need CM cover.

Bruno is starting to get increasingly exposed.

Gross had a brilliant start but seems to be struggling a bit now - possibly because the CM aren’t finding him enough, possibly because he’s dropping too deep now and too isolated from Murray.

The wingers are a mixed bag. Think Jose needs to play more, but stay wider when he does (and the team need to give him the ball). Knocky looks like he needs a rest (and some talking to) and March really needs a run of games - he’s either showing flashes of brilliance or he’s anonymous.

Definite sense that all isn’t quite right in the camp at the moment. Big six weeks or so ahead to get things back on track and get reinforcements in.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

I said at the time of signing Propper that he didn't fit the profile of our other CM targets (Delaney,Neto).

I think it's fairly obvious Hughton wants two hard working midfielders shielding our back line, but our recruitment team offered him up two attacking midfield players (Gross,Propper). Those two should be fighting over the same position, instead we have Brown loaned to us who we are using, for some unfathomable reason, out wide.

It's not easy to see where the blame lies, Propper in my opinion has been played out of position since the start of the season. Sidwell's absence has not helped and we have Kayal who is back from his umpteenth operation, lacking match fitness and never having stepped foot in a PL game.

Schelotto is also a strange one. When asking around I got the consensus that he was mainly a wing back who needs a run of games to be decent going forward, but seriously lacks defensive judgement. I wondered how and where he fitted in back then, is he cover for Bruno? If so why isn't he being played there.

I don't know if Hughton has ok'd these players or has just left it to the recruitment department who have given him these players to work with.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
If you want cheering up, bentekke is getting a battering over on BBS

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
CH has consistently ruled this out.

I would guess ruled out based on Gross being unsuitable for a CM role. Propper is certainly used to being further forward. As I said above, they should be fighting for the same position in my opinion.

I wonder why it has been ruled out without trying it out. If It’s a straight choice I would still prefer to play Propper further forward as he is simultaneously our best and worst passer of the ball. I would prefer his range of passing nearer the opposition goal and for the times he passes to an opponent that would also be preferable higher up the field. I take the point made by [MENTION=12935]GT49er[/MENTION] about Gross’ assists and this is certainly not meant as a criticism.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I just wonder how much the absence of Sidwell has cost us. We've looked short of Premier League know-how at key moments and that is one thing he has.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
I'm pleased the 'footballer's fatigue' myth is being dismantled on this forum. It's always mightily annoyed me.

Aside from what many everyday people do in their work - as well documented in previous posts - I would also like to draw attention to other professional sports. The intensity of training and the levels of fitness demanded by sports like boxing and cycling (yes I know there are others) really puts the 90 minute effort shown by professional footballers into the shade. In fact, even if players ran solidly for 90 minutes (which they don't) and were tackling and shooting throughout (which they don't) it would be perfectly attainable for a trained, professional athlete. I just don't get it. To think professional Grand Tour cyclists ride almost every day for three weeks, for hours at a time at a high intensity. It's all about how you apply yourself. 'Football fatigue?' What a load of ball-ocks

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here