Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

*TWELVE pounds ENTRY to Seven STARS Bar tomorrow*

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Also, Sodexo would kick off about this, losing one of their outlets.

This is what Tony has said.

We're not there to give anyone 'a hard time'. We questioned him about the Seven Stars (in fact, he was the one who wanted to bring it up), and he gave his answers.

What is not going to happen is him having some blinding vision on the road to Damascus in the corner of a cramped radio studio and, having queried his answers, we'd have felt the whole programme would have become bogged down, so we moved on to the next topic.

The fact that we (nor anyone else I suspect) were happy with those answers, and we let him know that, is not going to be lost on him. He does know how we feel, and I suspect the numbers will bear this out.

It's not a question of giving Barber a 'hard time'. He was allowed to put his case for a mid-market lounge largely unhindered, but what you didn't ask him was how the policy was working out so far (numbers) and to put other options to him that have been mooted here eg. the £12 to include a voucher for pie and pint, thus ensuring ensuring a decent yield/head for his business model. That could have led to a more constructive discussion than the 'my way or the highway' stance he took. Rather more Albion Whimper than Albion Roar I'm afraid, I ended up switching off in disgust (so apologies if you came back to the above points later in the interview).

PG

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I completely agree with this post. Also Barber is swerving the issue about kids having to pay £12 also. There are no concessions at all. This policy for charging for something that was free doesn't work and the 7 Stars must be making a massive loss. I still don't buy Barbers argument that the 7Stars customers didn't spend, they did! The bar was always a 4 person thick crowd and there were plenty of pints and pies being bought.

Although I wouldn't be surprised if the takings were considerably lower than what's expected from however many Albion fans given 2 hours of drinking time.

I'd imagine a like for like comparison between 7*s & Dick's went some way to instigate the change.
A change for which we won't find out the full story until next season.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It's not a question of giving Barber a 'hard time'. He was allowed to put his case for a mid-market lounge largely unhindered, but what you didn't ask him was how the policy was working out so far (numbers) and to put other options to him that have been mooted here eg. the £12 to include a voucher for pie and pint, thus ensuring ensuring a decent yield/head for his business model. That could have led to a more constructive discussion than the 'my way or the highway' stance he took.

It's certainly a very valid question for the next Fans Forum or similar.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
To add some context to the posts above... there were 11 people in total in there before the match.
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] and I spoke to one of the people who has been in there all season, and last week (Preston) saw the highest number of people in there so far this season, which was 25.

Which is 2.27 (recurring) people per TV.. so most could have 2 people and 3 would have to have 3.

On the pool table I'd imagine they'd have to implement a 'winner stays on rule' to deal with the rush.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
It's not a question of giving Barber a 'hard time'. He was allowed to put his case for a mid-market lounge largely unhindered, but what you didn't ask him was how the policy was working out so far (numbers) and to put other options to him that have been mooted here eg. the £12 to include a voucher for pie and pint, thus ensuring ensuring a decent yield/head for his business model. That could have led to a more constructive discussion than the 'my way or the highway' stance he took. Rather more Albion Whimper than Albion Roar I'm afraid, I ended up switching off in disgust (so apologies if you came back to the above points later in the interview).

PG
We asked questions and because he didn't give the answers you wanted you got pissed off with us?

The answer to that question comes with large data rather considering on early days. And we knew that.

So yes, it does sound like you wanted us to give him a hard time.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The Seven Stars season ticket holder that [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION] and I spoke to was delighted with the lounge. For him it very much is "1901 Light" - he contrasted the cost of a 1901 ticket with his East Stand season ticket and Seven Stars membership. He was very surprised that more people, particularly those who may be waiting for 1901 didn't take advantage of it.

One thing that was quite obscure, I thought, was the "kiosk style bar menu" that the club have used to describe the food offering in the lounge. The season ticket member we spoke to got quite upset last night as, on previous games, there was East Stand 1901 food brought into the lounge and was available to buy. He asked about this last night and was told that this was "a mistake" and shouldn't have happened, and wouldn't again. This left the food offering to be the pies and sausage rolls. The chap in question was spoken to by a manager or two which resulted in a plate of chipsd from 1901 being brought through for him, to accompany his pie. He told us that in future he would buy food from the external fish and chip bar and bring it in with him.

This then actually happened:

[tweet]788440010596966402[/tweet]

The only other thing I'll comment on is the club have used "free pool" as one of the USPs of the lounge. The table has two rips in it - one sizeable, with no attempt having been made to repair it, and it also has a significant slope, making slow straight shots impossible. There were, I think, 6 cues. 5 had no tips on them. The tip on the other one was to small for the cue and there was no chalk. You could not play a game of pool of any note.

[tweet]788427397561450496[/tweet]

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
So yes, it does sound like you wanted us to give him a hard time.

I suppose it depends whether your purpose is to reflect the concerns, views and opinions of the fans or represent the views and opinions of the club.

But whichever, surely the best CEO in football should be able to withstand robust questioning and handle some degree of criticism particularly, as evidenced by the overwhelming weight of opinion in this thread, he has got it badly wrong?

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
I suppose it depends whether your purpose is to reflect the concerns, views and opinions of the fans or represent the views and opinions of the club.

But whichever, surely the best CEO in football should be able to withstand robust questioning and handle some degree of criticism particularly, as evidenced by the overwhelming weight of opinion in this thread, he has got it badly wrong?
We stated many of the concerns, put across what people have been saying. For the time being he also needs to back it.

In the end, only the figures will determine what the club does next. Five games' worth of data isn't enough to make that call.

However, if it goes on like it is, I can see the club dropping this before Christmas.

What he won't do is suddenly change his mind on air. He'll take those concerns back with him, which is what we asked after the recording. And what we won't do on air is be rude to him about it.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
The only other thing I'll comment on is the club have used "free pool" as one of the USPs of the lounge. The table has two rips in it - one sizeable, with no attempt having been made to repair it, and it also has a significant slope, making slow straight shots impossible. There were, I think, 6 cues. 5 had no tips on them. The tip on the other one was to small for the cue and there was no chalk. You could not play a game of pool of any note.
The very worst type of crap provision in that department then.

No excuse for it at all. There should be two cues by the table both with decent tips and no defects (e.g. missing or rattling weights) and the other 4 kept in storage as back ups. The table should be levelled and the cloth repaired. Chalk should be provided and available from the bar if missing.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
What would bring a new fan to the Amex,not Dicks Bar or The Seven Stars so PB has the problem of chasing the drinker/snack eater around the stadium,if he drank at either bars ,would probably not drink elsewhere around the stadium,so no extra revenue.I dont drink/eat at the Amex,because i like to sit down and eat etc. Therefore IMO PB will come to the conclusion that the Seven Stars will include a season seat ticket,with good children concessions and become 1901 "Lite "......

KVB X

First time you could say the cues were horrendous in the 7 stars bar i suppose

kdk5l.gif

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
Just bought a ticket for the Orient game and noticed on the ticket I get FREE ENTRY TO THE SEVEN STARS!!!

Ticket was only a tenner! No wonder we're running at a loss!!

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Just bought a ticket for the Orient game and noticed on the ticket I get FREE ENTRY TO THE SEVEN STARS!!!

Ticket was only a tenner! No wonder we're running at a loss!!
Will the attendance for the Orient game be high enough to fill the 7 Stars if all ticket holders go in together?

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
Will the attendance for the Orient game be high enough to fill the 7 Stars if all ticket holders go in together?

I hope not, I want some feeling of exclusivity. Plus you can only get in by picking up a wristband from the ticket office before the game. Hopefully most won't be arsed to complete that task.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
When we bought Seven Stars tickets on our way to the Wolves game, we were tickets numbers 12 and 13.

Based on this, and the current ticket numbers for Cardiff (8 and 9), it could be RAMMED in there on Saturday. Maybe Norwich fans have lapped it up.

Screen Shot 2016-10-27 at 21.54.13.png

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Myself and 2 friends went to the Seven Stars Bar and for me it was good value. It is £ 12 but with a programme thrown in so £ 8.50. We got there at 12.30 pm and left at 2.45 pm and stayed afterwards for 45 minutes. Plenty of comfortable seats, quick service at a well manned bar, hot food, 5 beers on draft, decent wine with a free pool table and table football, lots of tv screens showing live football and the post match highlights. It was worth every penny, for me and we will make it a regular venue now. Worth a try as a good match day experience and offers something different

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here