Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How many games does Hughton get next season?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Give him to Christmas? Too little or too long?

You could insert any random manager into your thread title and get much the same results.

The problem lies with the club's deliberate focus on building real estate rather than building a team. Club have taken their eye seriously off the ball on the playing side of things, which is the only thing that matters to the attendance as opposed to the pretendance. The biggest thing going in our favour, like the London Underground lines of 150 years ago is that TB bankrolled the building of the stadium. He can't unbuild it. The banks would never have funded it at the time, that's for sure. But somebody else would have.

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
Please please please let him have the season. We can't change manager every year. The board should support him in the summer but just as importantly we need to support him. This is our team lets support it.

joker

BHA Blues Away
Aug 2, 2010
Eastbourne
Agreed. Long-term thinking and stability is what we need right now and Hughton, despite the frustrations the fans may currently be feeling, is the right sort of boss for that.

Couple of examples of clubs in the Championship who have been rewarded for sticking by their managers for the long-haul (relative to the average of 6-months or whatever ridiculous stat it is these days at least): Middlesbrough, who went 8 games without scoring a goal last season under Karanka before he was able to bring in the sufficient attacking quality in the summer, and Ipswich, who had some pretty uninspiring spells during McCarthy's rebuilding job after he initially stablised things.

Sometimes you have to stick out some poor football before things come good over a longer period of time. Hughton feels to me like the sort of manager who will reward our patience if we can recruit well and to his demands this summer with more astute Kayal-like signings. But then I may be way off the mark.

Completely agree with this, I mean, is the problem the manger, or is it behind the scenes, my belief is, it is the latter.

If you don't support the man you put in charge, you get nothing in return, after all, they must have rated him to appoint him in the first place surely.

I think the fans of this club, and every club for that matter, need to remember that, whilst we all have an opinion, we are, like it or not, customers of a business and have no authority over what happens, I know it is a bitter pill to swallow but there it is, I like it no more than the next person, but suck it up.

I personally think CH will turn it around, but only if the club & the fans back him, stability is the key, if not, he will go and we start again from square one.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
How many games does Hughton get next season?

How many would he actually want given the crock of s--t he has inherited !

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Agreed. Long-term thinking and stability is what we need right now and Hughton, despite the frustrations the fans may currently be feeling, is the right sort of boss for that.

Couple of examples of clubs in the Championship who have been rewarded for sticking by their managers for the long-haul (relative to the average of 6-months or whatever ridiculous stat it is these days at least): Middlesbrough, who went 8 games without scoring a goal last season under Karanka before he was able to bring in the sufficient attacking quality in the summer, and Ipswich, who had some pretty uninspiring spells during McCarthy's rebuilding job after he initially stablised things.

Sometimes you have to stick out some poor football before things come good over a longer period of time. Hughton feels to me like the sort of manager who will reward our patience if we can recruit well and to his demands this summer with more astute Kayal-like signings. But then I may be way off the mark.

On the other hand CH, or indeed any other manager, might feel somewhat pissed off depending upon what resources will be made available. In the meantime, one would hope that the club must surely be aware of the effect of 'non achievement' firstly on the level of support coming through the turnstiles BUT, and as a result thereof, secondly and more importantly, the effect that such non achievement 'ongoing' will perhaps have on the rather more important area of sponsorship.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Hughton gets all next season, same as Hyypia would have got this season if he hadn't done the decent thing and resigned. Bloom had no intention of sacking him, else he wouldn't have flown back to Oz, only to have to fly back again a couple of days later to interview for his replacement.

That flight to Oz will eventually loom as large in the mythology as Chamberlain's flight to Munich...

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
You could insert any random manager into your thread title and get much the same results.

The problem lies with the club's deliberate focus on building real estate rather than building a team. Club have taken their eye seriously off the ball on the playing side of things, which is the only thing that matters to the attendance as opposed to the pretendance. The biggest thing going in our favour, like the London Underground lines of 150 years ago is that TB bankrolled the building of the stadium. He can't unbuild it. The banks would never have funded it at the time, that's for sure. But somebody else would have.

Funny that I didn't see a queue of people ready to stump up £100 million + to build a stadium before Bloom stepped in . And for anyone who went to the 'training' ground at the Uni could clearly see we needed a new training ground. The club is now built on solid foundations which is far better than building from the top down.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Funny that I didn't see a queue of people ready to stump up £100 million + to build a stadium before Bloom stepped in . And for anyone who went to the 'training' ground at the Uni could clearly see we needed a new training ground. The club is now built on solid foundations which is far better than building from the top down.

Dick Knight and Martin Perry did all the hard graft. After the planning permission was granted, SOMEBODY would have built the stadium. For sure it's Bloom's legacy, and we're all eternally grateful for that. But we're THAT close to being dumpd into League One, and that is purely down to the board taking their eye shockingly off the ball and trying to do the playing side of things on the cheap. Like we wouldn't notice?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Dick Knight and Martin Perry did all the hard graft. After the planning permission was granted, SOMEBODY would have built the stadium. For sure it's Bloom's legacy, and we're all eternally grateful for that. But we're THAT close to being dumpd into League One, and that is purely down to the board taking their eye shockingly off the ball and trying to do the playing side of things on the cheap. Like we wouldn't notice?

Yes they may have taken their eye of the ball, or maybe Bloom trusted others to get it right on the pitch while also managing the losses he has to cover every season. You keep saying somebody would have bank rolled the stadium, but who would have been willing to pump all that money in with very little hope of ever getting it back? Would they also have been willing to cover the losses that have occurred every season

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Yes they may have taken their eye of the ball, or maybe Bloom trusted others to get it right on the pitch while also managing the losses he has to cover every season. You keep saying somebody would have bank rolled the stadium, but who would have been willing to pump all that money in with very little hope of ever getting it back? Would they also have been willing to cover the losses that have occurred every season

SOMEBODY would have built the stadium and would have funded the playing side before, say, building a training ground for non-elite journeymen to swan around in like they were worth even a small percentage of their disgusting weekly wage. Oh, and a hotel. Just a shame that DK never had pockets deep enough. We'd have been proper FLAIR both on and off the pitch.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
SOMEBODY would have built the stadium and would have funded the playing side before, say, building a training ground for non-elite journeymen to swan around in like they were worth even a small percentage of their disgusting weekly wage. Oh, and a hotel. Just a shame that DK never had pockets deep enough. We'd have been proper FLAIR both on and off the pitch.

I give up, you keep telling yourself that. Oh and a training ground was a must and given time will be worth the money invested

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I give up, you keep telling yourself that. Oh and a training ground was a must and given time will be worth the money invested

No it won't - unless there's a massive change in the club mindset that says you flog your players off to the first half-decent offer under the pretence of 'we wont stand in the way of any player who wants to better themselves' :bla:. Going forward, we'll continue to sell off the family jewels at poundshop prices. For some time now we've been over-ripe for cherry-picking. That's why half our former players, even some crap ones, play or have played in the Premier League and why our club as a whole is going backwards. Maybe a relegation actually might help focus their thinking as regards the supposed core activity of running a progressive football club.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Give him to Christmas? Too little or too long?

Don't know. How many points will we have at Christmas? If we have none he will probably be on a sticky wicket. If the majority of games are victories, I'm guessing he will stay.

Can you give us a little more info?

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Best, most sensible, level headed post I have seen on here for a long long time. Countless clubs go through these periods, clubs a lot bigger than ours, more history, more fans, better potential and they are all treading water and have been for years. Your Leeds, Birminghams, Ipswichs, Charltons, Watfords, Nottingham Forest's, Derbys, etc etc etc. We have to walk before we can run. Getting to The Amex had a worrying effect on a sizeable chunk of our support. They thought we had a devine right to stroll into top flight football with the appointment of a manager who would snub the like of every bigger club than us. We'll we are lucky to have someone with a reputation as good as Hughton. He may be a success, he may not but he needs at least a full season to recover from this shambles of a season.

This season has truly been a shambles and in no way entertaining to watch. Those who presided over the shambles are still in charge, the club in terms of its strength, the players, has gone backwards by four years. The use of 34 players this year is a reflection on managers attempting to decide who is best to play where and demonstrates that the tools our managers have had to work with are far from what is required. Hughton may have contributed to keeping us up but i'm not enammered by what I am seeing. I feel that if the funds are not there during the summer he will walk.
The person that will have kept us up will have been Nathan Jones for his points as a caretaker manager.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here