Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris O'Grady Signs for an Undisclosed Fee (Updated)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We heard about trying to sign Baldock and Grabban.
It was very close to done when we heard about Grabban, I don't know what happened with Baldock (apart from the fact we didn't sign him).

When we tried to sign Grabban we had 1 striker, the club was aware Barnes was leaving. We now have 2, 3 if we're including Fenelon.
No, we had CMS, Ulloa and Hoskins (and Fenelon was ours then too). Only one of those was playing, which meant we needed someone in on loan, but given we had CMS and Ulloa contracted for the next season, and Grabban was to be a permanent deal, we were obviously prepared to have 3 permanent good strikers. It's obvious that we'll be trying to get another striker, there is no way we're not.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
When we tried to sign Grabban we had 1 striker, the club was aware Barnes was leaving. We now have 2, 3 if we're including Fenelon. I don't think it's a dead cert that we will be after another striker, but I'll say it again, I hope we do.

No, we had CMS, Ulloa and Hoskins (and Fenelon was ours then too). Only one of those was playing, which meant we needed someone in on loan, but given we had CMS and Ulloa contracted for the next season, and Grabban was to be a permanent deal, we were obviously prepared to have 3 permanent good strikers. It's obvious that we'll be trying to get another striker, there is no way we're not.

But we knew niether Hoskins or CMS were going to be available, and Barnes was on the way out, Fenelon was out on loan which left us with Ulloa. We got the shabby loans in which just about patched a hole, so yes the club were happy to exist on very limited striking resources, less than we have now.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Welcome aboard COG. I for one am pleased we got this one over the line.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
But we knew niether Hoskins or CMS were going to be available
As I've already said, they were just out for a few more months, so a loan would have been the way to cover for them. We went for a permanent signing on top of what we had.
and Barnes was on the way out
I didn't even mention Barnes.
so yes the club were happy to exist on very limited striking resources, less than we have now.
No they weren't. Last season we had Ulloa, CMS, Barnes and Hoskins on permanent deals. And when one was going (Barnes) we tried to get another permanent striker. They all took up wages, which meant we were limited in what we could get on loan.

There's nothing to suggest we'd stick with just CMS, O'Grady and Fenelon, particularly given the money we've received from Ulloa, and the low wages Fenelon will be on.

TB has maintained will spend what we can within the FFP limits, and Sami has joined us because of our ambition to move forward. It really is foolish to to think we're not trying to get another striker (loan or permanent).

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

When we tried to sign Grabban we had 1 striker, the club was aware Barnes was leaving. We now have 2, 3 if we're including Fenelon. I don't think it's a dead cert that we will be after another striker, but I'll say it again, I hope we do.

As I've already said, they were just out for a few more months, so a loan would have been the way to cover for them. We went for a permanent signing on top of what we had.
No they weren't. Last season we had Ulloa, CMS, Barnes and Hoskins on permanent deals. And when one was going (Barnes) we tried to get another permanent striker. They all took up wages, which meant we were limited in what we could get on loan.

There's nothing to suggest we'd stick with just CMS, O'Grady and Fenelon, particularly given the money we've received from Ulloa, and the low wages Fenelon will be on.

TB has maintained will spend what we can within the FFP limits, and Sami has joined us because of our ambition to move forward. It really is foolish to to think we're not trying to get another striker (loan or permanent).

OK Trig, you keep going round in circles ignoring what I'm saying :thumbsup:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

That's rich:

:facepalm:

You're saying it's not a dead cert that we'll be after another striker, I'm saying it is.

Ok mate

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

We'll said.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I don't think it's a dead cert that we will be after another striker, but I'll say it again, I hope we do.

Just to put this one to bed.
I've shared this link with DVP via another thread but worth sharing here too...Here's Sami quoted today following COG arrival being about as clear as he can that we are still looking at strikers. "We still want some extra attacking additions"

"This is an area we want to strengthen and Chris is a good start. He is a strong, physical presence and gives us something different to the other strikers we already have here at the club.

"You need that option in the squad of a forward with power and strength, and Chris can give us that - as well as scoring goals. We still want some extra attacking additions, and in other areas of the team, but I'm pleased we have another one of our targets."

via http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/article/ogrady-signs-for-albion-1767176.aspx

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
Happy with this signing, class at holding up the ball.

Yep I've seen him a few times over the years and I'm happy to have home here too - plus £500k for a guy that got 21 goals in 56 Championship games for a Barnsley side that were relegation fodder looks like spiffing business.
Better than 1 in 3 in the Championship, whilst playing in front of a largely League 1 quality team? What might he do in front of a decent midfield.....?
Welcome COG!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Looking at his goals montage on YouTube and he seems to be the replacement for Glenn Murray even though he has taken 3 years to arrive.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here