Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Albums Thread 2018

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Something else which has interested me is the new Forest Swords DJ Kicks compilation. Its not the usual mix which is aimed at us, the customer, it’s more a collection of his likes and influences. If you’re familiar with his work it provides an interesting insight into his sound.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
For those of us who like a bit of sparkly, introspective indie-pop, the Snail Mail album (out today) has some very nice moments. Good, summery album for fans of Juliana Hatfield and Soccer Mommy.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
We’re approaching the half way point of 2018 so what are your favourite albums so far? It’s been a strong year but mine is Jon Hopkins; it’s a thing of beauty.

Another vote for JH here. Not too much else has pushed my buttons so far, looking forward to the new Interpol very much though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Another vote for JH here. Not too much else has pushed my buttons so far, looking forward to the new Interpol very much though.

Having just listened to it, LUMP by Laura Marling & Mike Lindsay has just jumped straight into my albums of the year.

I’m seeing Hopkins perform this album twice this year; I’m quite excited about this. I saw him totally own the MELT festival when he performed his last album a few years back. He’s quite special.

That LUMP album is getting very positive reviews; definitely going to check it out.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I’m seeing Hopkins perform this album twice this year; I’m quite excited about this. I saw him totally own the MELT festival when he performed his last album a few years back. He’s quite special.

He is and I'm suitably jealous as can't make any of his gigs this tour, damnit!

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm not quite so taken with the Hopkins album. It starts brilliantly, but subsides about half-way through into a strange combination of blandness and incoherence. Beyond Hookworms, the other album that's done it for me most this year is Your Queen is a Reptile by Sons of Kemet. Really looking forward to seeing them again later this year.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
At the half way point in the year, my top 3 for 2018 are The Ex ‘27 Passports’ - mentioned earlier in the thread; The Thing ‘Again’ - 20th album from the free jazz trio led by Mats Gustafsson; and finally Gustafsson’s other trio Fire! ‘The Hands’

morematey

Jun 28, 2017
Hookworms ‘Microshift’ is def album of the year so far. However I’ll be amazed, judging by what I’ve heard so far, if IDLES ‘Joy as an act of resistance’ doesn’t top it.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
At the half way point in the year, my top 3 for 2018 are The Ex ‘27 Passports’ - mentioned earlier in the thread; The Thing ‘Again’ - 20th album from the free jazz trio led by Mats Gustafsson; and finally Gustafsson’s other trio Fire! ‘The Hands’

First I've heard of 'Again'. He's not terribly good at publicising his releases, but I feel a trip to Resident coming along.

Jul 7, 2003
Their 14th album in 32 years, and one of their best; they just go from strength to strength, musically and lyrically.

Some usual footie related lines amidst the brilliant wry social observations and satire on modern culture:

"Oh let me gaze upon your curves. Instead of Ipswich Town reserves.'

"Ground Control to Monty Don. The Testimonial silver's gone."

Nigel Blackwell has got to be one of the best, yet most overlooked, lyricists ever.

View attachment 97263

Not forgetting:

Swerving the Checkatrade
So we may get to bill and coo
I’ve weighed up all the pros and cons
Of watching under-21s
Swerving the Checkatrade with you

or

Still thought I could play out wide
Felt sure I could stay onside
But stiff limbs and a shin which looks like
Inter’s end on derby day says
Time’s crept up unseen

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I completely forgot about The Ex when I said Hookworms was no.1.

1a and 1b I reckon. Have a feeling that's going to change after I've seen The Ex a couple of times in the next few weeks.

Ridiculously there's still a few tickets left for The Ex in Brighton. If ever there was a a gig to take a punt on this is the one. I've said it before, they are the best band in the world that you can currently see in a c.150 cap venue.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I don't think I've mentioned Squid on here yet have I? London/Brighton (met at uni here), started off playing jazz at The Verdict so are all phenomenal players. I suppose they are a bit Talking Headsy in the same way that Canadian band Ought is.

Most recent single here - https://squiduk.bandcamp.com/track/terrestrial-changeover-blues-2007-2012

Prior EP, now sold out - https://squiduk.bandcamp.com/album/lino-2

And I really like this one that they haven't done anything with yet but hits very hard indeed live

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXL5lIaqaBI

Playing The Hope tonight - http://www.wegottickets.com/event/441092

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Chaouche - Safe, out tomorrow.

Fabulous.

a4216020281_10.jpg

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
⭐⭐⭐
MIST -Diamond in the Dirt
Foreign Beggars - 2 2 Karma
The Wombats - Beautiful People Will Ruin Your Life.
Rejjie Snow - Dear Annie
The Magic Gang - The Magic Gang
Lil Skies - Life of a Dark Rose
J Cole - KOD
Plan B - Heaven Before All Hell
Lil Yatchy - Lil Boat 2

⭐⭐⭐⭐

Don Broco - Technology
Headie One - The One
Luke RV - Purgatory EP
Flatbush Zombies - Vacation To Hell
Tom Misch - Geography