Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does anyone have mental health problems?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Thanks all. Will take all that on board. Work has been mental and the fact that I can still do lots of stuff at work was really shielding the problem. Monday was a nightmare, I couldn't do a simple graph on excel, normally something that's easy to me. That was the last straw, as I can't focus and do the simple things. I am already feeling guilty about dropping my team in it with so much to do, losing my job, what are they all thinking etc., but I am mentally and physically burnt out.

I've tried working from home today to see if that helps in any way, but to no avail.

I'll keep you all posted on how things go with apt on Friday etc. as it is good to talk and share those issues.

Sounds very familiar to be honest and the hardest thing to do is to step back and say, "I need help here".

Good luck on friday pal, you'll always find likeminded people on here you can sound off to as required. Sorry to hear about your broken leg, when you're back on your feet again you should venture across to the running thread. :thumbsup:

Eric Potts

Jul 26, 2004
Top o' Hanover
Thanks all. Will take all that on board. Work has been mental and the fact that I can still do lots of stuff at work was really shielding the problem. Monday was a nightmare, I couldn't do a simple graph on excel, normally something that's easy to me. That was the last straw, as I can't focus and do the simple things. I am already feeling guilty about dropping my team in it with so much to do, losing my job, what are they all thinking etc., but I am mentally and physically burnt out.

I've tried working from home today to see if that helps in any way, but to no avail.

I'll keep you all posted on how things go with apt on Friday etc. as it is good to talk and share those issues.

Don’t feel guilty . You’re unable to do the job - at the moment . It would be the same if you had broken your arm . Which you wouldn’t have chosen , either.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
While you should always be there for them, ultimatly, it is up to them to get the help they need.

Staying in bed is where they are. First step should be a reason to get out of bed. Breakfast or a shower. Just being able to start to look after ones self is a good step and good for the mind. All the best.

I am sorry, that is a very simplistic view on things, a little like telling someone with depression to snap out of it or cheer up!

Some people can't help themselves as their problems are such that they can't acknowledge.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Quite a few i would think.

Depression 2.6 in 100 people
Anxiety 4.7 in 100 people
Mixed anxiety and depression 9.7 in 100 people
Phobias 2.6 in 100 people
OCD 1.3 in 100 people
Panic disorder 1.2 in 100 people
Post traumatic stress disorder 3.0 in 100 people
Eating disorders 1.6 in 100 people

20% suffer depression at some time in the lives.
Each year 25% suffer a mental health problem.

Mental health problems for kids have increased, with social media enabling bullying and also the feeling of exclusion as others boast about meeting up etc. Prior to the internet, at least bullying by peers ended when the victim reached the sanctuary of home.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patreon
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
First post, long time lurker. I suffer from panic attack disorder. Dont worry it gets better, with time you can build the strength.

Whenever I haven't used valium/benzodiazepines for about four days I get irrational thoughts. I tend to start worrying about things that are beyond my control generally. Then I get down when I feel I've used more than I thought I should.

Best of luck, SixChamber. I usually get panicky when there's a lot of people around me. Football I'm fine with as I've had a few beers to calm my nerves.

mjking73

Apr 17, 2013
Littlehampton
Hi all. To keep you posted, I have been signed off, initially, for two weeks to try to chill and relax a bit and have been put on Sertraline for two months. Anyone else on those tablets?

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patreon
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Hi all. To keep you posted, I have been signed off, initially, for two weeks to try to chill and relax a bit and have been put on Sertraline for two months. Anyone else on those tablets?

Glad to hear you've got two weeks off to try and enjoy things.

As for Sertraline I've googled it and it sounds promising. One of the worst things for me was lack of libido which is frustrating if you have a partner at that time. If you don't feel it's working then go back to the doctors but they can take up to four weeks before you feel in a good place. Good luck mate. :thumbsup:

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

A friend of mine takes Sertraline. Probably a life saver, but (possibly, no way of knowing) they are now sometimes hyper / inappropriate the other way. Sertraline is taken in the morning and does not help sleeping problems.

Good luck with your situation.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015

The one and only time I have taken anti depressants was Sertraline so my experience is very limited with nothing to compare it to other than not taking it. I took it reluctantly as I prefer to avoid medication if at all possible but that's just my personal preference and not something I am advocating. I only took it for about two weeks, if that, as I changed my mind about taking it so I didn't really give it a chance to have any beneficial effect. I reacted quite badly to it but I think that's quite common in the initial stages of taking an anti depressant. The first couple of days completely debilitated me as it made me suffer exteme anxiety bordering on psychosis. That lasted a couple of days and then passed. The other side effect that I experienced was I found it virtually impossible to achieve an orgasm. It was strange because achieving an erection was no problem but there was barely any physical sensation. And that became a preoccupation in itself because I became very focused on having an orgasm at the expense of doing other things. It was extremely frustrating. One m*******tion session lasted three days, obviously with rest breaks. There was no pleasure in it, it was purely mechanical to achieve the end result. Anyway that was just my experience. Everyone responds and reacts differently. So if you do react badly at the beginning it should pass after a couple of days.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales

The one and only time I have taken anti depressants was Sertraline so my experience is very limited with nothing to compare it to other than not taking it. I took it reluctantly as I prefer to avoid medication if at all possible but that's just my personal preference and not something I am advocating. I only took it for about two weeks, if that, as I changed my mind about taking it so I didn't really give it a chance to have any beneficial effect. I reacted quite badly to it but I think that's quite common in the initial stages of taking an anti depressant. The first couple of days completely debilitated me as it made me suffer exteme anxiety bordering on psychosis. That lasted a couple of days and then passed. The other side effect that I experienced was I found it virtually impossible to achieve an orgasm. It was strange because achieving an erection was no problem but there was barely any physical sensation. And that became a preoccupation in itself because I became very focused on having an orgasm at the expense of doing other things. It was extremely frustrating. One m*******tion session lasted three days, obviously with rest breaks. There was no pleasure in it, it was purely mechanical to achieve the end result. Anyway that was just my experience. Everyone responds and reacts differently. So if you do react badly at the beginning it should pass after a couple of days.

Well you did ask!

:lolol:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

Oh dear. Well, Sertraline is sometimes prescribed for those who suffer from premature ejaculation............now you know why!

D

Deleted User X18H

Do you mean is there any insanity on NSC?
Let’s cross out the in- shall we.

Is there any sanity on NSC?

None whatsoever !

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

Sertraline can take up to 6 weeks before you feel the benefit and ,of course, there are different strength dosages.
Can make you feel grim to start with, especially in the early days. Things can get worse before they get better, but stick with it and look at the big picture.Helpful if you can speak to a trusted friend or loved one whilst you go through the early days.
Good luck.:thumbsup:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Sertraline can take up to 6 weeks before you feel the benefit and ,of course, there are different strength dosages.
Can make you feel grim to start with, especially in the early days. Things can get worse before they get better, but stick with it and look at the big picture.Helpful if you can speak to a trusted friend or loved one whilst you go through the early days.
Good luck.:thumbsup:

spot on... i had a bad week but then things levelled out.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea

I took sertraline for about six months for similar symptoms to yours. Like others on here the first week or so was a rollercoaster with panic, euphoria & lethargy in random order. I would sometimes wake up terrified.

Once it settled in it allowed me to switch off from the negative thoughts & troubles and the anxiety completely resolved. That meant I was in a better place to engage with counselling. I also experienced impotence, and waking up in the morning was close to impossible. While I really appreciated it getting me through a tough time and taking away my lows, I found it also took away my highs. It was like being emotionally castrated. I was a zombie. All of this coincided with the end of the 15/16 season, boro, massive, and I did not feel a thing during all of those games. My kids weren’t able to piss me off, but the joy of kids went too. I think WH Auden once said something like ‘don’t take my demons because my angels might leave too’.

I ended up agreeing with my GP that I was making sufficient progress and should gradually stop taking the tablets. I’m still not the happiest bloke in the world but I’m better equipped to deal with my situation and I’ve got some of my mojo back.

My advice would be to take the tablets with the view that they are a temporary measure to restore the resilience you need to get you through a tough time. Talk to people who can help. Come off the tablets when the time is right. Your experience will be unique and yours only, but You’re not on your own.

All the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I took sertraline for about six months for similar symptoms to yours. Like others on here the first week or so was a rollercoaster with panic, euphoria & lethargy in random order. I would sometimes wake up terrified.

Once it settled in it allowed me to switch off from the negative thoughts & troubles and the anxiety completely resolved. That meant I was in a better place to engage with counselling. I also experienced impotence, and waking up in the morning was close to impossible. While I really appreciated it getting me through a tough time and taking away my lows, I found it also took away my highs. It was like being emotionally castrated. I was a zombie. All of this coincided with the end of the 15/16 season, boro, massive, and I did not feel a thing during all of those games. My kids weren’t able to piss me off, but the joy of kids went too. I think WH Auden once said something like ‘don’t take my demons because my angels might leave too’.

I ended up agreeing with my GP that I was making sufficient progress and should gradually stop taking the tablets. I’m still not the happiest bloke in the world but I’m better equipped to deal with my situation and I’ve got some of my mojo back.

My advice would be to take the tablets with the view that they are a temporary measure to restore the resilience you need to get you through a tough time. Talk to people who can help. Come off the tablets when the time is right. Your experience will be unique and yours only, but You’re not on your own.

All the best.

Good post.

But some will end up always be on med's, due to adult-life-long clinical depression. They are quite often, literally a life saver. For such people, they shouldn't be ashamed or concerned about taking the med's long term. In summary, don't rush to come off of them and go through it every step with the GP.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
Good post.

But some will end up always be on med's, due to adult-life-long clinical depression. They are quite often, literally a life saver. For such people, they shouldn't be ashamed or concerned about taking the med's long term. In summary, don't rush to come off of them and go through it every step with the GP.

Absolutely right. What I shared is limited to and informed by my own experience. It would be short sighted of me to ignore the clear benefits and necessity of such medication for long term illness.

I feel fortunate that I’ve experienced some resolution. I know that many continue to struggle.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Absolutely right. What I shared is limited to and informed by my own experience. It would be short sighted of me to ignore the clear benefits and necessity of such medication for long term illness.

I feel fortunate that I’ve experienced some resolution. I know that many continue to struggle.

I know several people who with their GP's found the right meds for them and they will always take them. That's not dismissing talking therapies which, separately, are effective too. Because they found the ideal meds for them, their lives are in the main no longer a struggle, leading 'normal' lives - family, careers, interests etc.

brighton terra

Dec 5, 2008
Worthing
7 years ago I had a bit of a mental breakdown following my dad dying and my mum having a heart attack in the space of a week. I just didn’t have the strength to cope with the simplest of tasks and was signed off work for about 4 months.

My mum died on Tuesday and I’m currently dealing with it pretty well, but all of those around me are fearful that it’s going to happen again.

Might be something to do with me also working out my notice, having had a really shit time at work, relocating back to Sussex, trying to sell my flat, trying to find temporary accommodation, trying to find somewhere to buy, and starting a new job in 4 weeks.

On the plus side, it all makes our quest to avoid relegation a whole lot less stressful!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here